• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who was the greater Southend legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Penultimate tie of the first round.

The only person old enough to see Halse will have been Cricko who is too senile to remember. Stuart Parker should be recent enough for a fair few memories though.

Only vague recollection of Parker, the miss at home to Liverpool in the snow being the most memorable!! I did go to the replay which was fantastic even though we lost 0-3. I remember the Kop chanting S O U T H E N D several times. Parker only mediocre centre forward as i recall. Halse was a little before my time.

It was Derrick Parker who missed all the chances against Liverpool, including one at Anfield when it was still 0-0! Stuart Parker was the classy one of the two!

It was Derrick Parker who missed all the chances against Liverpool, including one at Anfield when it was still 0-0! Stuart Parker was the classy one of the two!
Now I know I am going doolally!!! Can't tell my Parkers from my elbow.

Neither Parker would get within a million miles of a 'best of' squad of the 100 best Blues.

Derrick Parker scored 51 goals in 149 games. I would have thought that would have put him in or near the top 100. He is 17th leading goalscorer in our history. Mind you I never saw him play but a goal every 3 games is pretty good return for a lower league striker.

Stuart Parker, if my memory serves me right, left us to go to Chesterfield, and then went on to Anderlecht, so he must have had something about him. Signed from Blackpool in close season '75 by Dave Smith as he took over, 31 goals in 74 games which is a pretty good strike record. Top scorer in his 2nd season despite leaving in the February.

Personally I liked him, but then this was one of my favourite Southend teams ever in my favourite Southend kit ever (plus he kept up a correspondence with me for some time after he left us!!!).

IIRC Stuart Parker had an exceptionally dodgy mullet some time before they became "fashionable". I doubt if he'd make my top 20 strikers I've seen at Southend.

I may be wrong but Harold Halse went for the maximum permitted fee of £350. Another player (whose name escapes me) also went for £350. The idea was that Halse was valued at £700 so that fee was for the "pair". The other chap was plainly valued a £0!

Id be interested to see your list

Apart from number one, in no particular order.

Billy Best
Bill Garner
Stuart Brace
Steve Phillips
Richard Cadette
Stan Collymore
Freddy Eastwood
Peter Silvester
Ray Smith
Eddie Firmani
Chris Guthrie
Gary Moore
Brett Angell
Derek Spence
Shaun Goater
Lee Barnard
Keith Mercer
Mike Beesley
Leon Constantine
Roy McDonough

Billy Best
Bill Garner
Stuart Brace
Steve Phillips
Richard Cadette
Stan Collymore
Freddy Eastwood
Peter Silvester
Ray Smith
Eddie Firmani
Chris Guthrie
Gary Moore
Brett Angell
Derek Spence
Shaun Goater
Lee Barnard
Keith Mercer
Mike Beesley
Leon Constantine
Roy McDonough

no mooney?

Billy Best
Bill Garner
Stuart Brace
Steve Phillips
Richard Cadette
Stan Collymore
Freddy Eastwood
Peter Silvester
Ray Smith
Eddie Firmani
Chris Guthrie
Gary Moore
Brett Angell
Derek Spence
Shaun Goater
Lee Barnard
Keith Mercer
Mike Beesley
Leon Constantine
Roy McDonough
Who worked perfectly in tandem with Stuart Parker, they formed a formidable striking pair in that 75/76 season, and yes, he had a mullet (as opposed to Silvo who could have been a distant relative of Scott Spencer's!)

Who worked perfectly in tandem with Stuart Parker, they formed a formidable striking pair in that 75/76 season, and yes, he had a mullet (as opposed to Silvo who could have been a distant relative of Scott Spencer's!)

I'm not saying he didn't contribute to the team he did, I just didn't rate him that highly. A more modern comparison would be Wayne Gray.

I'm not saying he didn't contribute to the team he did, I just didn't rate him that highly. A more modern comparison would be Wayne Gray.
Don't think Gray ever was top scorer over a season though? Still say his strike rate was pretty good.

Don't think Gray ever was top scorer over a season though? Still say his strike rate was pretty good.

I made the Gray comparison on the basis he scored valuable & memorable goals without being that good a player, and for the record his strike rate was ok, I didn't think he was that good, compared with Peter Silvester he wasn't.

Back