• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I suspect a lot of people slagging off Harris on here are the ones who got over excited about him when we first signed him.

This season he has been mostly injured or not picked to play so hardly his own fault.

I was pleased when we signed him, but very disappointed that it was on a 3 year contract.

Ricketts, paynter, mario walsh, gordon connelly, jerome boer, paul byrne, matt paterson all worse signings than harris

In terms of results or based on the knowledge at the time?

We got more out of Boere and Byrne than we have out of Harris. Walsh was cheap and so was Ricketts as we weren't paying his wages (and not in the way we weren't paying Harris' wages). You've missed Eastwood II out as well.

Harris was a bad signing because his career record suggested that he wouldn't be durable and at that age it wasn't going to get any better.

Heyyy, Neil Harris is a Shrimper!

However, the headline of this thread would have been nearly as accurate last August!!

I suspect a lot of people slagging off Harris on here are the ones who got over excited about him when we first signed him.

This season he has been mostly injured or not picked to play so hardly his own fault.

People slagging off players that they were originally excited about ......never.....

Look at all the fuss about Fred.....

These people never learn

I just hope Brown doesnt go down a similar route of older players who have played at a higher level. They are very rarely successes at this level.

I just hope Brown doesnt go down a similar route of older players who have played at a higher level. They are very rarely successes at this level.

This.

If someone can be bothered to work out the average age of his first choice side at Hull (and his other clubs if you've a bit of time on your hands) I'd be interested in the answer.

FWIW Tilly favoured seasoned pros - Flahavan, Jupp, Wilson, Prior, Edwards, Sodje, Maher, Gower, Bradbury, Goater etc were all experienced pros who'd been around and knew the score. They weren't usually dropping down the divisions though (and those who were like Prior and Goater had risen up the divisions in the first place). Even someone like Mark Bentley, a brilliant signing from non-league was in his late 20s.

Brown's side that got to the Premier League:

Myhill - 25
Ricketts- 26
Brown - 30
Turner - 24
Dawson - 29
Garcia - 26
Ashbee - 31
Hughes - 31
Barmby - 34
Campbell - 20
Windass - 39

So, average of 28.6, skewed by Windass but also by Campbell.

The last game they won in 2008/9

was

M Duke - 31
K Zayatte - 23
M Turner - 25
A Gardner - 28
K Kilbane - 32
B Mendy - 27
I Ashbee - 32
S Ricketts - 27
Geovanni - 29
C Fagan - 26
D Cousin - 32

average 26.5

Brown's side that got to the Premier League:

Myhill - 25
Ricketts- 26
Brown - 30
Turner - 24
Dawson - 29
Garcia - 26
Ashbee - 31
Hughes - 31
Barmby - 34
Campbell - 20
Windass - 39

So, average of 28.6, skewed by Windass but also by Campbell.

So half the team aged over 30. Only 2 players under 25. Sturrock had six players under 25 in his line-up against Wimbledon (plus two 25 year olds).

Who was the Campbell? Was that Neil's brother? Or was that DJ Campbell?

Without being bothered to check back , were there not several on here at the end of last season saying that the style of football had improved when Harris was playing with Freddy ?

The last game they won in 2008/9

was

M Duke - 31
K Zayatte - 23
M Turner - 25
A Gardner - 28
K Kilbane - 32
B Mendy - 27
I Ashbee - 32
S Ricketts - 27
Geovanni - 29
C Fagan - 26
D Cousin - 32

average 26.5

Your maths looks wrong. There's only 3 players under the average age, the youngest being only 3.5 years under the average age when there are 4 players over 30.

ps Thanks Shrimpled and Naps for Frazier Campbell. What's happened to him?

Last edited:
Whoever gave NH a 3 year deal were off their heads and clearly know little about ageing players,Granted 1 year deal and then pay as you play contract.

Waste of cash to be honest.

Hmmmm let's find another target shall we ? Jeez. He has plenty to offer on and off the field. Hopefully he can get through this and show his quality. Incredibly intelligent player. I feel there would be a role for him with the right formation.

I know I shouldn't - but I'm going to. That Boere always struck me as having an eye for goal.

Back