• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harry Lennon joins Wrexham

Hmmmmm. Proper marmite this lad ain’t he?
Talk of 3k a week is probably well wide of the mark. With a playing record like his, the ball is firmly in the clubs court when negotiating a deal.
Probably loaded with clauses on appearances.

Talk of 3k a week is probably well wide of the mark. With a playing record like his, the ball is firmly in the clubs court when negotiating a deal.
I don't think it was wide of the mark bearing in mind he signed for us as a 23 year old with potential and we were a promotion chasing L1 side. I hope you guys haven't offered him anywhere near that much though

So that’s Oxley, Lennon and Dieng gone. Feels like some real change happening, I didn’t get that feeling last summer. But like this league is gonna be a total bugger to get to grips with and we’re some way short I feel. Let’s hope the next week or two brings 1 or 2 more “incomings” we can really get buzzing about!

Yes a progressive one…..and Phil yet again is having his hands tied with the Non League budget, can’t afford to get in who he wants yet again

We are a NL team though, and operating at a sustainable level is more important than missed targets.

Oh, and let’s not forget, before we start bemoaning the idea of Brown not being able to bring his targets in, he holds his fair share of responsibility for this mess we’re in, as it was his targets on lucrative contracts that began the tailspin of the last three-years.

Maybe Ron has learned a lesson, for a change.

Either way, just as I said at the start of last season, if people honestly think we’ve hit our lowest possible ebb, think again. It could still get a lot worse.

I'm not sure Marmite is the correct analogy here as more Southend fans seem to hate him than love him!

Trying to give you a balanced view, he's got all the attributes to be a very fine Central Defender - he's a good age (26), a good height (6'3"), he is quick (allegedly the quickest in our squad at one stage), and he's left-footed.

HOWEVER

He's been really unlucky with a succession of injuries since he's been with us which means he only made 10 appearances last season, 20 the season before and 9 the season before that.

Also, what he has in the physical attributes he probably lacks in the mental, I'm afraid. He can be prone to some costly clangers in and around the box (misplaced passes and mistimed tackles) and he didn't make the brightest of decisions by going to the pub (in a Southend tracksuit) with a Dover player after they'd dumped us out of the FA Cup. It was blown out of proportion by some of our fans, but that defeat hurt and so he should have really thought how it might go down with the fans before he did it.

In summary, if you keep him fit and sort out the mental aspects of his game then you could have a player of the season on your hands, however I suspect most Southend fans think that your physio will be seeing more of him than your supporters!

We are a NL team though, and operating at a sustainable level is more important than missed targets.

Oh, and let’s not forget, before we start bemoaning the idea of Brown not being able to bring his targets in, he holds his fair share of responsibility for this mess we’re in, as it was his targets on lucrative contracts that began the tailspin of the last three-years.

Maybe Ron has learned a lesson, for a change.

Either way, just as I said at the start of last season, if people honestly think we’ve hit our lowest possible ebb, think again. It could still get a lot worse.
Trouble is operating at a sustainable level doesn't often get you anywhere in football which has had boom and bust finances for decades and the majority of clubs living beyond their means and 'buying' success. Both our Championship eras and the flirtation with promotion to the Championship under Brown have ended in tailspins and double relegations over a short period. I have a horrible feeling if we choose now to operate sustainably we are in this league for a while. If Ron gambles and Brown is given the resources to get out of the NL this time, unlike last time in L1, he'd better deliver promotion. Looking at signings and departures so far we aren't gambling and promotion back to the EFL looks long odds against.

We move on , on paper he should of been a real asset for us but like others have said some players/clubs just don;t gel and this was one of this situations .

He didn't feel me with confidence and is not the commanding CB we needed to sure up at the back the past 3 seasons, however he has talent and is a decent enough footballer at this level , but there is a lot more than just being talented that is needed in the modern game.

I believe with Hobson and Coulson , the no nonsense approach is whats needed this season

Bear in mind of the games he did play a number were whilst injured and needing an operation (we were short at the back). So not sure we know what he would bring fully match fit and injury free.

Wrexham may find out and be pleasantly surprised. It's a risk we can't afford to take- but if you have money to gamble with it could pay off. Patience required though- he will be a way from match fit I imagine. Been out a long time.

I haven't read this thread through, but I think the connection is Phil Parkinson. He'll have known him at Charlton, and knows that Harry is a capable lad, a solid, left footed defender.

I think he's been absolutely vilified on social media from a simple enough mistake, where something happened outside of his control, coupled with some very serious leg injuries when he had actually playing well.

Best move for him was to go to a new club, with a clean slate, and i wish him well.
uhh, no...but there again, I thought Campbell should have been hauled over the coals for calling us: "Southampton' by mistake in an interview.
What kind of manager is it that doesn't know where he is?

Trouble is operating at a sustainable level doesn't often get you anywhere in football which has had boom and bust finances for decades and the majority of clubs living beyond their means and 'buying' success. Both our Championship eras and the flirtation with promotion to the Championship under Brown have ended in tailspins and double relegations over a short period. I have a horrible feeling if we choose now to operate sustainably we are in this league for a while. If Ron gambles and Brown is given the resources to get out of the NL this time, unlike last time in L1, he'd better deliver promotion. Looking at signings and departures so far we aren't gambling and promotion back to the EFL looks long odds against.

Oh I totally agree, and the divide between the have’s and have not’s only grows year after year. The financial disparity is disgusting really. The talk of Man City signing Kane for £160m is beyond comprehension when you consider that half of the football league is a whisker away from going bankrupt.

The long term sustainability of the football club is more important than what division we’re in. A non-league Southend United, will always be better than a non-existent Southend United.

If living sustainably means we won’t be able to try and buy success, and we have to exist at this level for some time, then so be it, I guess.

I don’t want to appear defeatist or apathetic, but we do need an injection of realism. The finances aren’t great at the moment, as proven by our sudden break away from Hummel.

Hopefully our new shirt sponsor will have paid more than Watchlotto, but even then I don’t expect it to massively boost the coffers (and that’s no offence to the new guys, who I know have nothing but love for the club)

We all remember the tax bill which kept us under embargo for over a year, but nobody has really spoken about the next one that is due which will come off the back of having almost no fans in attendance & what I would assume to be a record low financial gross from the previous campaign. That’s worrying to me, and far more concerning than which target Brown may or may not have missed out on.

I’m buoyed by the fact we have Tom running the club now. Speaking to people who know him, they are also very positive about him & the impression is, if anyone can turn this sinking ship around, it’s him.

But inevitably, just as I’ve repeated for the previous few years, we need to manage our expectations. You’re right, it doesn’t look like we’re gambling this term and for that I expect us to have a pretty uneventful season, which possibly flirts with play-offs, but is more likely to be a mid-table finish. If we can’t recruit some more firepower however, I expect us to be lower than that.

In the grand scheme of things, and based on the past three seasons, that’ll do for me, especially if we can somehow bring the finances back to a solid footing.

But what won’t do, is us playing roulette with those finances. At some point, we must learn from our repeated mistakes.

Good luck to him can't blame him for a broken leg, and as for the Dover thing people need to get over it, players have done worse and fans still wNt them to come back to the club. If he can stay fit he could be the next Sam Barrett.

I reckon if we made a signing like Lennon (even NL) with his appearance stats and the fact he is prone to howlers - I was more annoyed at his pathetic attempt at defending against Dover than the drink afterwards - this zone would be in meltdown!!

I reckon if we made a signing like Lennon (even NL) with his appearance stats and the fact he is prone to howlers - I was more annoyed at his pathetic attempt at defending against Dover than the drink afterwards - this zone would be in meltdown!!
Truly, it doesn't take much to put the Zone into meltdown over anything. Sign of the times I guess.

See all the bitter and twisted’s are out in force tonight….,admit it, he’s going forward as we are going the other way….probably 6 clubs in front of us now in the tin pot league, thanks Ron!
“Bitter and twisted’s” eh? Oh well, you’re entitled to your opinion something I’m sure you’ll make clear as soon as Steve Arnold makes a mistake, being the goalkeeping “expert” you are eh Wiggy? ?

We sponsored him for 3 years, he's a good lad, and he was always more than willing to help out with my Junior Blues. He tried to play on after he broke his leg the first time, at a time when he was doing well in a team that was doing ok. Unfortunately, a 2nd break the following season resulted in a lengthy period out, followed by one of his friends allowing him to be snapped in a photo straight off the coach after a defeat in the FA Cup to Dover, whilst meeting up with him for a drink. He was never allowed to get over that.

I hope he has a much healthier time with you.

Back