• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod like Ricey⭐⭐
Staff member
It seems the Goal Keeper production line keeps on delivering at Southend United. Harry Seaden is the latest Southend player to wear the England Goal Keeper's shirt, this time at U16 level. He has just been named goal keeper of the tournament at the Val de Marne in France. Bloody well done Harry and the Club.

Surprising as he was un-used sub vs USA !!!!!

Well done Harry , your old man will be very proud.

I remember John Seaden was a diminutive but tough tackling midfielder , like a poor mans Glenn Pennyfather ( this is not as bad as it sounded as Pennyfather was my all time favourite player at that time ! )

But when Blues played the annual cricket match you could guarantee Seaden would be top scorer , he was an excellent cricketer !!! Roy McDonough in that era always fancied himself as a cricketer too ... well actually , he just fancied himself !

Was John Seaden a local boy ? If so, what school did he go to?

John Seaden played in one of the worst games I've ever seen and look at that line up

:nope:

Southend United 2-5 Colchester Utd
Tuesday 29th January 1985 - 1st Team

Attendance: 2401
Match score
Half time score: 0-3
Full time score: 2-5

Southend United
Line-up
1. Jon O'Brien
2. Micky Stead
3. Steve Collins
4. John Seaden
5. Paul Clark
6. Steve Hatter
7. Glenn Pennyfather
8. Adrian Owers
9. Micky Engwell
10. Steve Phillips
11. Alan Rogers
Sub(s):
12. Tony Hadley - replaced Steve Hatter

Goalscorers
Tony Hadley.
Glenn Pennyfather.

Colchester Utd
Line-up
1. Alec Chamberlain
2. Rudi Hedman
3. Ian Phillips
4. Noel Parkinson
5. Keith Day
6. Stewart Houston
7. Perry Groves
8. Roger Osborne
9. Keith Bowen
10. Tony Adcock
11. Russell Irving
Sub(s):
12. Tony English - replaced Ian Phillips

Goalscorers
Tony Adcock
Perry Groves (2)
Keith Bowen (2)

John Seaden played in one of the worst games I've ever seen and look at that line up

Match score

Southend United
Line-up
1. Jon O'Brien
2. Micky Stead
3. Steve Collins
4. John Seaden
5. Paul Clark
6. Steve Hatter
7. Glenn Pennyfather
8. Adrian Owers
9. Micky Engwell
10. Steve Phillips
11. Alan Rogers
Sub(s):

Goalscorers
Tony Hadley.
Glenn Pennyfather.

Colchester Utd
Line-up
1. Alec Chamberlain
2. Rudi Hedman
3. Ian Phillips
4. Noel Parkinson
5. Keith Day
6. Stewart Houston
7. Perry Groves
8. Roger Osborne
9. Keith Bowen
10. Tony Adcock
11. Russell Irving
Sub(s):

Goalscorers
Tony Adcock
Perry Groves (2)
Keith Bowen (2)

I was at that game, Perry Groves took some stopping in those days, it wasn't the skill he had he was just very quick!

Yeah i remember that game well ... Adcock + Groves absolutely battered us ! I remember Groves especially was on fire + not too long before the Gooners signed him .... Hatter , Collins + Clark basically were trying to kick lumps out of him and " put him in the stand" but Groves skipped round them like a skilled matador. It reminded me of those terrible football films when the star man waltzes through a procession of well choreographied missed tackles !!!! I remember too seeing Roger Osbourne , forever famous for scoring the winning goal in the FA cup final for Ipswich , but basically after that goal celebration he literally couldnt run anymore and was awful for the rest of his career!

Blues star Harry named goalkeeper of the tournament for England

HARRY Seaden was named goalkeeper of the tournament after starring for England’s under 16 side at the Val de Marne in France.

More...

Match score

Southend United
Line-up
1. Jon O'Brien
2. Micky Stead
3. Steve Collins
4. John Seaden
5. Paul Clark
6. Steve Hatter
7. Glenn Pennyfather
8. Adrian Owers
9. Micky Engwell
10. Steve Phillips
11. Alan Rogers
Sub(s):

Goalscorers
Tony Hadley.
Glenn Pennyfather.

Colchester Utd
Line-up
1. Alec Chamberlain
2. Rudi Hedman
3. Ian Phillips
4. Noel Parkinson
5. Keith Day
6. Stewart Houston
7. Perry Groves
8. Roger Osborne
9. Keith Bowen
10. Tony Adcock
11. Russell Irving
Sub(s):

Goalscorers
Tony Adcock
Perry Groves (2)
Keith Bowen (2)

Hadley wasnt much cop as a sub either and even got replaced, but boy could he sing!

Match score

Southend United
Line-up
1. Jon O'Brien
2. Micky Stead
3. Steve Collins
4. John Seaden
5. Paul Clark
6. Steve Hatter
7. Glenn Pennyfather
8. Adrian Owers
9. Micky Engwell
10. Steve Phillips
11. Alan Rogers
Sub(s):

Goalscorers
Tony Hadley.
Glenn Pennyfather.

Colchester Utd
Line-up
1. Alec Chamberlain
2. Rudi Hedman
3. Ian Phillips
4. Noel Parkinson
5. Keith Day
6. Stewart Houston
7. Perry Groves
8. Roger Osborne
9. Keith Bowen
10. Tony Adcock
11. Russell Irving
Sub(s):

Goalscorers
Tony Adcock
Perry Groves (2)
Keith Bowen (2)

If I was asked to name the worst side we have ever had - it would be that season. The club was in a desperate situation and so close to going out of business. Just note that 2,401 was wayyyy above average and as much as we could muster for a grudge derby. It was a minor miracle that Southend United survived.
The game against Col U was strange. Of those 2,401 there was a large contingent of people with an "issue" with Col U ...being the year after the "jigsaw" attack. That is indeed another story. But trouble was unavoidable and Col U fans took refuge in the players tunnel.
A terrible performance, a good thrashing and a very black day in what was almost certainly the worst times for our football club.
2016? Well things are unrecognisable at Southend United and football in general.

Last edited:
John seadon was a defender if I remember rightly wasn't he ? See him at a fair few Southend games last season in the east stand blue seats, not sure if he still goes tho.

I was at that game, Perry Groves took some stopping in those days, it wasn't the skill he had he was just very quick!

I don't remember that game specifically, but that season as dire

Biggest home attendance 2942 Average 1969 (Thanks SUFCDB http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/stats.php?y=1984)

Any side with Engwell, Seaden Hatter and Owers in was never going to do well, and John Gymer was yet to come...
Mickey Stead was past his best ...

We scored two goals in our last 6 home games that season and avoided re-election because we had a better goal difference (of 2 ) than Halifax

Yet we had a 20 goal a season Striker, Steve Phillips got 23 that year

I don't remember that game specifically, but that season as dire

Biggest home attendance 2942 Average 1969 (Thanks SUFCDB http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/stats.php?y=1984)

Any side with Engwell, Seaden Hatter and Owers in was never going to do well, and John Gymer was yet to come...
Mickey Stead was past his best ...

We scored two goals in our last 6 home games that season and avoided re-election because we had a better goal difference (of 2 ) than Halifax

It was seriously shocking. Just dreadful. Looking back - it was a club in intensive care, desperately gasping for oxygen.

Anyone too young to have experienced those day would probably find it difficult to imagine just how low the club had sunk. It had become a local embarrassment after pensioners were "conned" out of their Christmas Savings in 1984. The people of Southend and S.E. Essex who had little interest in football lost any goodwill for a club that treated elderly supporters in such a disgraceful manner.

Dark, dark days. The shadow of Anton Johnson lingered for a long time. Yet strangely enough, the club survived financially thanks to loans from two individuals who themselves went on to court extreme controversy - Ken Bates & Robert Maxwell.

I remember David Crown scored about 20-odd in a relegation season too.

20 goal a season strikers are not the be-all and end-all...

It was seriously shocking. Just dreadful. Looking back - it was a club in intensive care, desperately gasping for oxygen.

Anyone too young to have experienced those day would probably find it difficult to imagine just how low the club had sunk. It had become a local embarrassment after pensioners were "conned" out of their Christmas Savings in 1984. The people of Southend and S.E. Essex who had little interest in football lost any goodwill for a club that treated elderly supporters in such a disgraceful manner.

Dark, dark days. The shadow of Anton Johnson lingered for a long time. Yet strangely enough, the club survived financially thanks to loans from two individuals who themselves went on to court extreme controversy - Ken Bates & Robert Maxwell.

Didn't AJ take off with the video recorder too ?

Poor old Bobby Moore, absolutely nothing to work with and clearly exasperated with some of the the "quality" he had at his disposal,yet the next season managed to get Richard Cadette to sign.

That season we finished 9th , still behind Col U ,who beat us three times , scoring 10 to our 3, that season , still averaging 2800 at home..

Back