• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ..... Hartlepool away

Mick

Life President
Saturday's big match will be refereed by Jock Waugh from Sheffield. He is in his first season as a League referee and has not previously refereed a Southend match although he did Hartlepool's 3-0 home win against Millwall back in December.

He started his League career with two cardless games but someone must have had a word with him as he hasn't repeated that since. His 17 matches this season have resulted in 54 yellows and 3 reds; only just the wrong side of average.

I have never seen him referee so can offer no opinion on his prowess or otherwise. I can tell you that he sports the Howard Webb tribute hairstyle (or lack of) and is a member of a Sheffield-based band called Meek Joe. Unsurprisingly, given his name, he is a Scot originally from Glasgow.

This is him as you won't see him on Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4htUiiiyWo

Assistants are Mark Brown from East Yorkshire and Richard Clark from Northumbria with David McCallum (no not Illya Kuryakin, for our older members) from Tyne and Wear on the numbers board.

Unsurprisingly, given his name, he is a Scot originally from Glasgow.

Assistants are Mark Brown from East Yorkshire and Richard Clark from Northumbria with David McCallum (no not Illya Kuryakin, for our older members) from Tyne and Wear on the numbers board.

So, a Scot based in Sheffield; a Yorkshireman; a Northumbrian, and one from Tyne and Wear. Good to see a nice balanced 'neutral', team of officials for the game against Colu; oh, sorry, we're playing Hartlepool...........

Unsurprisingly, given his name, he is a Scot originally from Glasgow.

So, a Scot based in Sheffield; a Yorkshireman; a Northumbrian, and one from Tyne and Wear. Good to see a nice balanced 'neutral', team of officials for the game against Colu; oh, sorry, we're playing Hartlepool...........

This complaint is frankly ridiculous. Sheffield is over 100 miles from Hartlepool (and Glasgow nearly twice that), Hull is 98 miles and Amble is over 50 miles.

We often have Essex-based officials as Assistants and referees from a lot less far afield than 100 miles for our home matches.

Sorry if I upset you Mick.
It wasn't supposed to be serious, just my warped sense of humour on a Friday afternoon......... should have added a smiley, I suppose.

Of course it didn't upset me. It's easy to forget just how far away Hartlepool is, even from places already a long way away.

Referees and, especially, Assistants are not sent on massive journeys generally in the Football League .... unlike SG officials who are actually employees of the PGMO and get sent all over the place sometimes travelling hundreds of miles to hold the numbers board !

It appears Mr Waugh's interpretation of 'kicking the ball away' is that it is only a bookable offence if committed by a player from the away side.

He's also the only referee I've seen frequently wave away free-kicks then change his mind and award them. Regardless of whether there was a foul!

He was inept and inconsistent. The lino on our left was so poor, Roy O'Donovan actually stood and waited for the offside flag for his 2nd before realising he'd got away with it and continued on towards goal.

He was inept and inconsistent. The lino on our left was so poor, Roy O'Donovan actually stood and waited for the offside flag for his 2nd before realising he'd got away with it and continued on towards goal.

funny, I thought he was maybe a little picky, but was consistent and got the major decisions right.

Would like to see the 2nd goal again, as you say even O'Donovan seemed to think he was offside

funny, I thought he was maybe a little picky, but was consistent and got the major decisions right.

Would like to see the 2nd goal again, as you say even O'Donovan seemed to think he was offside

I'm not sure. I thought McCormack's second booking was very harsh, his first you wouldn't normally complain about had an identical offence by O'Donovan 15 minutes earlier not gone unpunished.

Early on he waved away O'Donovan's penalty claims for a blatant non-foul just inside the box, then changes his mind and awards a free-kick a yard outside the box. He also later waved away Laurent's claims for a free-kick before changing his mind.

Not forgetting waving away Laurent's free-kick claim and then seconds later awarding a free-kick against Laurent despite the fact he was crawling atound on his knees!

Offsides you can't pin on the Referee as that's what the Assistant's are there for.

I'm not sure. I thought McCormack's second booking was very harsh, his first you wouldn't normally complain about had an identical offence by O'Donovan 15 minutes earlier not gone unpunished.

Early on he waved away O'Donovan's penalty claims for a blatant non-foul just inside the box, then changes his mind and awards a free-kick a yard outside the box. He also later waved away Laurent's claims for a free-kick before changing his mind.

Not forgetting waving away Laurent's free-kick claim and then seconds later awarding a free-kick against Laurent despite the fact he was crawling atound on his knees!

Offsides you can't pin on the Referee as that's what the Assistant's are there for.

I thought the 2nd wasn't malicious, but the player was going free as they were on the break and so I think that's a yellow card because a free kick doesn't help the attacking team. I don't think Macca saw the attacker coming in from the side and was just stretching for the ball.

I didn't think O'Donovan kicked the ball away/ Macca's was blatant. The ref booked one of theirs for kicking the ball away later in the 2nd half.

That free kick was odd, and I agree, I didn't think there was a foul but the lino obviously did. I think the ref bottled it there.

Just seen the highlights on iPlayer, definitely not offside for the 2nd goal. And the ref had no option with Macca's 2nd yellow.

Back