• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
Pools squad fear for futures

BAD RESULT: Ritchie Humphreys

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »
View GalleryBy
HARTLEPOOL United's players are fearing for their futures.
That was the message today from skipper Ritchie Humphreys in the aftermath of the capitulation to Cheltenham Town.
It has been a long weekend for the Pools squad who have had to come to terms with the manner of Friday's 2-0 defeat to the Robins and the fact that they have become embroiled in a relegation scrap.

Humphreys was left ashamed and embarrassed by the performance against the team with the worst away record in League One – and led Danny Wilson to say there would be changes.

The 30-year-old stalwart said no-one was safe from getting the chop and admitted Wilson would have every right to send them on their way during the remaining 11 days of the transfer window.

Humphreys said: "Nobody in the dressing room could think that was okay.
"We are all professionals, it is more than a game - it is our livelihoods.

"It is a priveleged job to have and for whatever reason we didn't perform as we know we can.

"Performances like that have never been acceptable while I have been at this football club and I hope it never is.

"You are always fearing for your future. Whether the transfer window is open or not, whether you have signed a new contract or running out of one.

"You are always playing for the shirt in the next game. I can only speak individually and say you train all week to play on a Saturday and if you are picked you have to perform.

"If you perform well, you have still got to train well to get the shirt the next week. That is the way I have always worked."

The defeat left Pools just four points above the drop zone, with four teams below them having the luxury of games in hand.

It has made tomorrow''s home clash with Southend all the more important, as Pools face a daunting trip to promotion challengers Doncaster a week tomorrow.

Humphreys said Pools had been sucked into a relegation scrap because they deserved to be there and said the players needed to show their metal if they were to get out of it.

"We train hard every week and every day to better our skills and we can't let that happen again one because of pride and two because of our league position," he said.

"I have said before that the league table doesn't lie. It is there in black and white. You have got to go away and try and be as positive as you can because there is another football game on Tuesday night and there is another one the week after.

"There are enough points available for us still to collect. But it is alright saying it, we have got to go and do it as a group and individuals.

"Hopefully we get the right results by putting in the right effort."

Hopefully our boys are prepared for the poolie backlash. A point will do in my opinion, although if Cheltenham can win comfortably there, theres no reason why we shouldnt be able to take all 3 points.

Agreed. But I'm not taking too much confidence from the one win at rock-bottom Bournemouth. We still have to stick the ball in the ol' onion bag on a much more regular basis.

Surely there is only one result here. The Monkey hangers shocked by a home drubbing by one of the poorest sides in the division (the league table doesn’t usually lie) and us on the back of our highest scoring away victory in two seasons!

…….got to be an abject performance and 4-0 to the Pools hasn’t it?

Not wishing to be a Private Fraser off Dad’s Army but isn’t that always the way?

I’ll be delighted to be proved wrong, obviously.

Back