• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bernie Friend

Schoolboy
Hello everyone,

As you may, or may not know, I have just finished trawling through the blood, booze, birds and early baths of Roy McDonough's career for a highly-entertaining biography, which is being published in August.

To help promote Red Card Roy I am trying to get hold of any old footage of the Big Man in action, and wondered if anybody had any old season review videos etc, which feature Roy?

I did have a load of them, but I donated them to the Supporters Club 10 years ago, so I would love to hear from anybody who can help out.

Cheers,

Bernie

Can't wait for this. Can't help you on the material I am afraid. I remember one game when he took a penalty. It was so bad he hit the corner flag. Love to see that again

Ha-ha. Cheers guys. Yeah, I remember that missed penalty - sure it was against Mansfield Town. And I'm sure Roy turned away to celebrate, still thinking he had scored, despite the ball ending up in the East Stand.
Although, I do definitely remember that he sent the keeper the wrong way!
Great times.

Would love to see that Northampton goal again too, a Saint and Greavsie classic, plus the Shilton slayer.

If anyone else can help, please give me a shout!

Cheers

Hey its the return of cycling Bernie :smile:

Must be a few things on youtube i expect mate ??

I'm really looking forward to this book, one of the (very) few players that have been heroes at both ends of the county .. actually probably the only one ??

Will be a book I will be buying as well. One of the great cult players to ever play for Southend. I had plenty of clips of SUFC from the late 80's but wear they are now I really don't know will have a trawl through some old videos soon.

Cheers lads,

I know I'm biased, but believe me, this book is well worth the wait - and it was a labour of love as Roy is my favourite Blues player ever.

An extinct character so sadly missing from today's sterile version of the game.

I went to live with Roy and his wife for a week in Portugal last year and I have to say that he is one of the most nicest blokes you could ever meet. Genuine and a great laugh, with, amazingly, not a bad bone in his body off the pitch.

And I'll definitely be getting him over to do a book signing at the club and hopefully an 'evening with' or something along those lines. He is very excited about coming to Roots Hall!

If you have any joy with that old footage please let me know. Sadly there is nothing of Big Roy on YouTube. There was some footage of him scoring four goals for Col U at Slough, but it has been removed.

Cheers again, Bernie

I did have a look on the tube and was surprised that i couldn't find any, i felt at least his pen v Derby and the 4th goal v Northants in the FA Cup would've been on

A Q&A would be brilliant, i'm sure Ken (mcnasty) and John (Cricko) would be interested in promoting it as a Zone event .. hint hint :winking:

The only bad thing i can think about the guy is that he's a bigger legend "up there" .. it makes me feel a little bit grubby holding him in such regard when i think what he achieved for them :scared: :sick:

Unfortunately, Roy doesn't have much memorabilia, like most footballers of his era.

All he had was a carrier bag of old pictures, a framed Colchester shirt from the FA Trophy final and a prestine 90s copy of The Sun, detailing the rumbling of his affair with the groundsman's wife - Roy of the Ravers!

and the 4th goal v Northants in the FA Cup would've been on

..... was that the goal where he was blatantly offside and earned us a 4-4 draw?

Undoubtably a real life legend - he is the only player I know that our own supporters cheered when he got sent off ..... you know how it is when the team plays better with 10 men ...........

......... and yet we all seemed to look forward to seeing him play again the next week. Him and David Crown were an absolutely fabulous pairing up front.

And sorry - I have no video but plenty of match programmes.

Cheers lads,

I know I'm biased, but believe me, this book is well worth the wait - and it was a labour of love as Roy is my favourite Blues player ever.

An extinct character so sadly missing from today's sterile version of the game.

I went to live with Roy and his wife for a week in Portugal last year and I have to say that he is one of the most nicest blokes you could ever meet. Genuine and a great laugh, with, amazingly, not a bad bone in his body off the pitch.

And I'll definitely be getting him over to do a book signing at the club and hopefully an 'evening with' or something along those lines. He is very excited about coming to Roots Hall!

If you have any joy with that old footage please let me know. Sadly there is nothing of Big Roy on YouTube. There was some footage of him scoring four goals for Col U at Slough, but it has been removed.

Cheers again, Bernie

Shame you never played like him Bernie :winking:

Stick me down for a shipment order please - also get in the queue for #1 fan - Username says it all. As you said, characters like that are long gone from the game and very sadly missed. Even if he had a shocker, which was often enough, you could NEVER accuse him of not giving 100% and putting his body (and usually other people's) on the line.

Stick me down for a shipment order please - also get in the queue for #1 fan - Username says it all. As you said, characters like that are long gone from the game and very sadly missed. Even if he had a shocker, which was often enough, you could NEVER accuse him of not giving 100% and putting his body (and usually other people's) on the line.

get yourself on facebook Tone, he answers everyone on there.

For anyone that is interested in Roy's book, it has just been listed on Amazon, despite being four months short of publication.

I spoke to him at the weekend and he is definitely going to do a pre-match Shrimpers club signing, as well as maybe a questions and answers chicken in a basket-style thing on the Friday night before.

It would be great to see people at the signings wearing grey wigs and fake tashes!

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Card-Roy-McDonough/dp/1907637567

Cheers,

Bernie

Hi Bernie

I've got an old seaon review video, and the video of the Southend Tottenham match, if this is any help to you.

Bill

Back