• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Has Freddy fogotten how to pass?

Thenewblue

Manager
good opportunities to put other players in on goal, but would rather shoot from 25 yards out, now I know he does crack in the occasional stunner, but you can't score 1 every week, I think his desire to win the golden boot is hurting the teams cause more than help it. I might be wrong to criticise because he is the reason we are top right now, but today I just feel he could have been a little less selfish.

Said the same earlier

Wasnt just him

We werent confident enough to pass quickly, we dithered and it cost us

We lost because after Donny scored they sat back and there was no pace what so ever within our starting 11 to get behind them, we needed to make changes as soon as they scored to stop us effectively butting our heads against a brick wall. With no pace you can't stretch a team so Donny players held their positions and we couldn't get through them. It was tactical naivety, plus a poor perfromance from Gower and Brabury who should have been hugging the touchlines, Jupp had the right idea but no-one else followed suit alas!

Apart from a little hesitancy in the box when he got through I though Bradbury was one of the best players on the pitch from both teams. Him and Jupp have forged a great partnership very quickly. Gower was getting frustrated and lost discipline which exposed Wilson terribly on more than one occasion. Also we need a game plan for when teams assign three players to take on Freddy whenever he has the ball; it's happened in nearly all of thtaches we've struggled in.

Freddy did try too hard today but it was just one of those games...lets forget it and look forward to next week now.

I despair at times.

Why stop Freddy playing the way that has got him to the verge of the golden boot? Were you complaining that he should have passed it when he had a speculative pop against Barnsley on Monday? Or the dozen or so other times he has done that from that position? If he doesn't shoot he doesn't score, and lets face it, even if he does pass it none of his colleagues look like knowing where the back of the net is.

If you stop Freddy shooting from such positions he is half the player and we are half the team. Its not about him being greedy, it is him taking responsibility when other players are failing to do so. If anything our problem is that we try and walk it into the back of the net.

Also, how many goals have we scored this season from wingers hugging the touchlines? Admittedly more than have been scored from Duncan Jupp's sorties forward (if we exclude opponent's goals on the counterattack) - Mitchell Cole has set up a few, but him aside I'm struggling to think of many examples. Our wingers are far more effective cutting inside. My criticism is more likely to be that our widemen spent too much time hanging back on the wing, rather than bursting into the penalty area.

I wasn't suggesting that the wideman would produce or set up a goal but to stretch the play the middle was too congested with all our midfield and all of Docaster sitting back, if you want an example of what strecthing the play can do, look at the second half of the Chelsea game and how much more possesion and oppurtunities they had.

My only criticism of Freddy is that he should play to the whistle - he sometimes questions free kicks which are never given against him rather than just getting on with it but I wouldnt change anything else - if he didnt take the chances we wouldnt be where we are and wouldnt have seen half the Freddy magic we all love so much!!

Back