• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Has kev lost the dressing room?

It’s also easy to forget that we missed out on a number of first choice targets over the summer and the course of the season due to Ron and the embargo. Particularly in attacking areas.

I’d suggest if we landed any or both of Kelly and Dallas for starters, we would probably be well in the playoff picture right now. Mussa also would have been a good option in the middle of the park.

Give this lot the proper tools and they will deliver.

It’s also easy to forget that we missed out on a number of first choice targets over the summer and the course of the season due to Ron and the embargo. Particularly in attacking areas.

I’d suggest if we landed any or both of Kelly and Dallas for starters, we would probably be well in the playoff picture right now. Mussa also would have been a good option in the middle of the park.

Give this lot the proper tools and they will deliver.
I suspect a different keeper for those 4 months would have helped too

No to the answer has kevin lost the dressing room .But ont thing should be said is .RON MARTIN keep your nose out of any football related sackings .The only person who should be saked is RON MARTIN himself .Is it kevin and his team that has lost form .No the problem MR MARTIN is you and you alone .You never gave kevin a chance .By keeping the club under an embargo for months .Is your fault alone .So the sooner you go the better it will be .Dont play around just sell the club .

Would imagine if Stan is involved helping transition to new owners, we’d keep this team on.
Yes, you would hope so. But if Stan is not involved then the new owners may want to bring others in from the CEO right down to the management team, Stan, John Still and all. I hope not but some of these non football people who run clubs sometimes have their heads turned by people who think they have bright ideas. Fingers crossed none of this will happen.

Question is, will the new owner want to continue with the current Management Team??
They would be mad to get rid of the current management team. Sacking a club legend as player who then turned things around as a manager despite having his hands tied behind his back would be a sure fire way of getting off on the wrong foot with the fans and the club employees.

Maher is the single most popular thing at the club. He’s currently Southend United. He’d have higher approval ratings than any player, the chairman, the dilapidated stadium, the kit, the mascot etc. If Maher has lost the dressing room fans would overwhelmingly change the playing staff than the management team. There will always be one or two contrarians who’ll find reason to moan but getting rid of someone like that would have people doubting you from the start.

...........or maybe we just don't have enough decent 'other players' for Plan B? @Chris Powell's mate quoted a very interesting insight from a prem manager. Top players do it week in week out. Players in lower divisions do it sometimes. And the lower the division, the lower the 'sometimes'.
Fair point, but surely even schoolkids can learn 2 systems? 🤷‍♂️

And here is the latest SZ issue everyone can get all binary about... honestly, after everything that has gone on, anyone who seriously believes what we really need is a change of manager at this moment needs to give their head a wobble.
I think the Lopata thing has really upset the applecart as prior to that there was a siege mentality, the squad were all in it together... and then all of a sudden, they weren't. The fact that we haven't picked up a point since then I don't think is a coincidence.

But the players are here because of Kev et al, he has been the glue that has held them together and still represents the best chance of getting out of this league in my opinion. We know what they can do as some of their performances earlier this season belied the league position... the rest of this season doesn't really matter now, its all about Ron finding a buyer before the summer because he has made it clear the well has run dry as far as funding the club is concerned.
We need some stability, not more change.

Nothing wrong with the Management Team - It's Quality on the pitch we don't have with just a few exceptions.
No wins in 7 ! Proven players at this level,strikers who have scored regularly at this level,mooney altrinchams player of the season! But nothing to do with the management team?

They would be mad to get rid of the current management team. Sacking a club legend as player who then turned things around as a manager despite having his hands tied behind his back would be a sure fire way of getting off on the wrong foot with the fans and the club employees.

Maher is the single most popular thing at the club. He’s currently Southend United. He’d have higher approval ratings than any player, the chairman, the dilapidated stadium, the kit, the mascot etc. If Maher has lost the dressing room fans would overwhelmingly change the playing staff than the management team. There will always be one or two contrarians who’ll find reason to moan but getting rid of someone like that would have people doubting you from the start.
For what it's worth I agree with you 100%, my question is that at this stage we have no idea who will be owning us after hopefully the sale goes through.

If Stan and Tom are heavily involved in the negotiations then I imagine that they will keep as much constant as they can, if they are not involved then who knows...........

I am hoping that under new ownership, no embargos, hopefully a new ground then this current Management Team will flourish. However sometimes new owners want to stamp their own authority down early - fingers crossed they don't.

For what it's worth I agree with you 100%, my question is that at this stage we have no idea who will be owning us after hopefully the sale goes through.

If Stan and Tom are heavily involved in the negotiations then I imagine that they will keep as much constant as they can, if they are not involved then who knows...........

I am hoping that under new ownership, no embargos, hopefully a new ground then this current Management Team will flourish. However sometimes new owners want to stamp their own authority down early - fingers crossed they don't.
Coxy and the Ferdinand Bros?

Fair point, but surely even schoolkids can learn 2 systems? 🤷‍♂️
If you are talking about schoolchildren in general I would argue no because in most cases teachers will have a set way of playing and not deviate.

Do kids these days even play 11–a-side?

No wins in 7 ! Proven players at this level,strikers who have scored regularly at this level,mooney altrinchams player of the season! But nothing to do with the management team?
I don't think a change of management is needed but I can think of one idiot of a supporter than needs transferring far far away. Bye SS.

Lost the dressing room? I very much doubt it.

Trying to manage a tired squad (mentally and physically) that has gone stale, in need of some refreshing and limited in abilities? Absolutely.

And before anyone says 'they signed these platers of limited ability'... we are non-league, broke and couldn't sign a number of first options (and maybe not our 2nd or 3rd options, either.

It has been an exhausting season with doubts over the immediate future of the club (and therefore job security), supporter unrest, embargo and late payment of wages / surrounded by non-playing colleagues that have gone unpaid for months.

Anybody thinking these factors won't take their toll on the squad is sorely mistaken.

The best we can hope for is that the club survives and is bought by a decent, well financed new owner/s and be grateful that Kev & co did such an amazing job of keeping us so high up the table.

They've performed miracles.

I don't think a change of management is needed but I can think of one idiot of a supporter than needs transferring far far away. Bye SS.
How many losses will it take? Darren Currie should have been manager and kev assistant! I said it right from the start! U need to put aside your love for kev as southend united legend! It was sad to see Chris Powell leave but sorry its a results business and kev ain't getting none!! U must not have seen the current run we are on? Its OK loosing to teams in the playoffs as they are games which can go either way but when u are still loosing to teams below u then that becomes an issue,but I guess that's Ron's fault too.

Last edited:
As the club is currently up for sale, can Ron seriously sack Kev and his team?
For a manager who’s had his hands tied for what seems like forever
Embargo, injuries and Ron to name just a few, I think that Kev might have had enough himself following Saturday’s disappointed travelling supporters abuse

We've just got to patient and forget this season now! we're not going to get into the play-offs and we're not going to get relegated. The way the team is playing and the results are not a true reflection of SUFC, it is a stifled team for many reasons both on and off the pitch. As the future starts to become clearer, hopefully over the summer, the fortunes will turn around. New owners, embargo lifted, new stadium construction underway are the foundations that the club can build on. We may not get out of the NL next season, it might take a few years but at least we will have a team that will be realistically challenging for promotion every year...
Sorry will u please explain to me how u can forcast the future ?🥴🥴🥴🥴

No he hasn’t- and anyway stick with your beliefs and principles- change the dressing room/ or the bits the need changing if you have too but stability and clarity is of approach is required on the playing side

As the club is currently up for sale, can Ron seriously sack Kev and his team?
For a manager who’s had his hands tied for what seems like forever
Embargo, injuries and Ron to name just a few, I think that Kev might have had enough himself following Saturday’s disappointed travelling supporters abuse
It's a results business.

Obviously, I've no idea whether the dressing room has been "lost" or not. But if it has, I'd venture to suggest KM is not the guilty party.

He's been doing the job for 80 games or so, and has won as many as he has lost. Given the state the club was in when he took over, I'd say that was quite impressive. Certainly not "**** poor", which was a phrase I saw used about him on Twitter earlier.

The real issue here for me is that as long as RM is part of the management structure at Southend, I would say you have a reputational problem. It will not help a young manager as he tries to build a culture, and a platform for progress. So anyone who is pointing the finger at him for what has happened over the last few games is spectacularly missing the point - in my opinion.

Back