• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Has the love of your club gone?

watching and being associated with Southend United is simply Hell for me, im man enough to say it,, its had a huge effect on my mental health over the last 36 months ..
I feel your pain Mr Browns Ghost but please dont let it drag you down too low, hopefully you can see on here you are not alone as there are a hell of a lot of people that care about "our" football club........chin up from all fellow Shrimpers.

I don’t believe Ron has deliberately run this club into the ground - the reasons for our demise are his greed in desperately trying to cling on to the Fossetts Farm dream (and that’s what it is) combined with his incompetence in terms of running a football club. Unfortunately this was always going to happen, it was simply a matter of time before things got this bad. Where we are in the league isn’t a surprise when you look at the squad, it’s dreadful. We should just have enough about us to scrape survival but it’s by no means certain.

Last edited:
After more than 60 years a shrimper, yes, my love for the club has faded immeasurably over the past three years. You see, I am now of an age where I know the club I have loved nearly all of my life will never recover to what it once was within whatever time I have left on this planet. That hurts, so why should I continue to let its constant miserable failure cast a shadow on my life.

I try not to be judgmental of players or other staff at the football club because I prefer to think that everyone tries their best in whatever role they play. However, one has to question what has brought about this catastrophic decline. Some will blame the players, some the manager but along with many others I firmly believe the root of the problem is Ron Martin.

So, why do I lay the blame at Martin’s door? Well, to begin with, RM is not a football man and although he probably considers himself to have become one since his involvement with SUFC, he has not felt the same love for the club as most of us have over the course of our lives. He therefore does not feel the same pain as us when we look at our once proud club hovering above the relegation zone of the fifth tier of English football. During the course of our history, although we have never hit the pinnacle of footballing prowess, we have always been a proud club and as supporters we have been able to hold our heads high. Back in the late 1960s my father knew one of the directors of Scunthorpe United who told us they always enjoyed their visits to Roots Hall because we were a ‘proper football club’ with genuine history and always entertained our visitors with the utmost respect. I wonder what opinions the directors of other clubs hold for us now.

Many describe Ron as a property developer but in my opinion he is not. He is a property investor, a speculator if you like. The difference is a developer will buy property/land, develop it and make profit by selling or letting the completed development. Property investors are commonly quite happy to sit on the land/property they have acquired for many years because historically in this country, unless very unlucky, over time the investment appreciates in value.

I am not sure Ron fully understood what he was getting involved with by becoming the owner of a football club, he merely saw the opportunity to buy a potentially valuable site at a knock down price because of the football club’s debt at the time. Why else would a property man with no passion for football get involved with a football club? The value of the assets were greater than his investment so that appeared to be good business but I do not think he realised then that the finance required to run a football club would severely erode his apparent gains. Once he became aware he had to hatch a plan to rid himself of the burden of SUFC without sacrificing the object that had attracted him in the first place and so chasing the dream began. Setting SUFC up in a new stadium would make the club attractive to potential new owners and RM would have spin off gains from the associated development and, of course, Roots Hall. So, twenty years down the line, why has this not happened?

The problem, and this is pure conjecture on my part, is that RM is not a developer, does not have sufficient capital assets and has not had the right connections/influence to bring the significant development proposed to fruition. Maybe his demands have also been greedy when negotiating with parties who would have been interested in becoming involved with the project. I accept that over time he has been unlucky in respect of some issues outside of his control but the fact remains he has not delivered on his promises in a time frame that has seen many other football clubs obtain new stadia.

Ron does not have the financial clout to run a professional football club properly, at least not in liquid assets, this has been clear for a number of years now. He is though stubborn, perhaps avaricious and ego driven to a point where he would never be able to work in partnership with others who could share the financial burden. The consequences are that the reputation of the club has been severely damaged by his inability to settle his financial commitments on time such that we now hear rumours of agents advising players not to come to us.

Those that blame the players we have for our plight are failing to see, but for a few exceptions, this is the level of player ability Ron is able/willing to afford and if some players are being warned off from playing for us our options are hugely restricted. As for the manager, I am beginning to think that PB may have passed his shelf life and I do not like the vendettas he has with some players. The current squad is pretty much his but if the player recruitment choices are restricted by the reputation of the club perhaps he has only been able to bring in the best of the bad bunch available.

I am sorry, but Martin’s failure to bring his master plan to fruition, coupled with what appears to be incompetence in running a football club are what has led us to sink to the depth we now find ourselves. I see him as an ill-equipped person chasing a dream to suit his own agenda while trying to sell it to supporters of the football club as a benevolent gesture. Statistics show that only 2% of dream chasers fulfil their ambitions.

Yes it has gradually waned over the last few years and I feel less connection to the club and the team. Partly because I don't live in the area anymore and don't get to many games these days, and obviously couldn't when fans weren't allowed, but it's mainly because of our steady decline which shows no signs of abating. Every week it's like "oh, we've lost again". There just seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel as long as RM is in charge.

Oh the optimism of youth.of some on here...unfortunately for many of us who stood on the North Bank in the 60s/70s/80s we might never see the EFL ever again in our lifetime the way the club is being run into the ground..For me I can't forgive RM for the way he threw our 100 + year status away by a series of deliberate actions caused by his financial position .For the first time since the mid 60s I feel nothing for the club and have stopped going after not renewing my ST.
I was firmly behind RM in the early days and believed we needed him to force the council into realising the need for FF to enable the club to achieve the potential this towns support deserved after the way VJ was thwarted by them.
However after the last 3 seasons I now see Ron as a parasite ******* the life blood out of the club knowing that once his development money is made he will leave us as a corpse in non league

After more than 60 years a shrimper, yes, my love for the club has faded immeasurably over the past three years. You see, I am now of an age where I know the club I have loved nearly all of my life will never recover to what it once was within whatever time I have left on this planet. That hurts, so why should I continue to let its constant miserable failure cast a shadow on my life.

I try not to be judgmental of players or other staff at the football club because I prefer to think that everyone tries their best in whatever role they play. However, one has to question what has brought about this catastrophic decline. Some will blame the players, some the manager but along with many others I firmly believe the root of the problem is Ron Martin.

So, why do I lay the blame at Martin’s door? Well, to begin with, RM is not a football man and although he probably considers himself to have become one since his involvement with SUFC, he has not felt the same love for the club as most of us have over the course of our lives. He therefore does not feel the same pain as us when we look at our once proud club hovering above the relegation zone of the fifth tier of English football. During the course of our history, although we have never hit the pinnacle of footballing prowess, we have always been a proud club and as supporters we have been able to hold our heads high. Back in the late 1960s my father knew one of the directors of Scunthorpe United who told us they always enjoyed their visits to Roots Hall because we were a ‘proper football club’ with genuine history and always entertained our visitors with the utmost respect. I wonder what opinions the directors of other clubs hold for us now.

Many describe Ron as a property developer but in my opinion he is not. He is a property investor, a speculator if you like. The difference is a developer will buy property/land, develop it and make profit by selling or letting the completed development. Property investors are commonly quite happy to sit on the land/property they have acquired for many years because historically in this country, unless very unlucky, over time the investment appreciates in value.

I am not sure Ron fully understood what he was getting involved with by becoming the owner of a football club, he merely saw the opportunity to buy a potentially valuable site at a knock down price because of the football club’s debt at the time. Why else would a property man with no passion for football get involved with a football club? The value of the assets were greater than his investment so that appeared to be good business but I do not think he realised then that the finance required to run a football club would severely erode his apparent gains. Once he became aware he had to hatch a plan to rid himself of the burden of SUFC without sacrificing the object that had attracted him in the first place and so chasing the dream began. Setting SUFC up in a new stadium would make the club attractive to potential new owners and RM would have spin off gains from the associated development and, of course, Roots Hall. So, twenty years down the line, why has this not happened?

The problem, and this is pure conjecture on my part, is that RM is not a developer, does not have sufficient capital assets and has not had the right connections/influence to bring the significant development proposed to fruition. Maybe his demands have also been greedy when negotiating with parties who would have been interested in becoming involved with the project. I accept that over time he has been unlucky in respect of some issues outside of his control but the fact remains he has not delivered on his promises in a time frame that has seen many other football clubs obtain new stadia.

Ron does not have the financial clout to run a professional football club properly, at least not in liquid assets, this has been clear for a number of years now. He is though stubborn, perhaps avaricious and ego driven to a point where he would never be able to work in partnership with others who could share the financial burden. The consequences are that the reputation of the club has been severely damaged by his inability to settle his financial commitments on time such that we now hear rumours of agents advising players not to come to us.

Those that blame the players we have for our plight are failing to see, but for a few exceptions, this is the level of player ability Ron is able/willing to afford and if some players are being warned off from playing for us our options are hugely restricted. As for the manager, I am beginning to think that PB may have passed his shelf life and I do not like the vendettas he has with some players. The current squad is pretty much his but if the player recruitment choices are restricted by the reputation of the club perhaps he has only been able to bring in the best of the bad bunch available.

I am sorry, but Martin’s failure to bring his master plan to fruition, coupled with what appears to be incompetence in running a football club are what has led us to sink to the depth we now find ourselves. I see him as an ill-equipped person chasing a dream to suit his own agenda while trying to sell it to supporters of the football club as a benevolent gesture. Statistics show that only 2% of dream chasers fulfil their ambitions.
Thinking of the last 3 chairman, I think that could be leveled at Anton Jonson and uncle Vic too. I was never s Uncle Vic hater; he simply wasn't a people person. He defo left the club in a better state than he found it. Not a difficult task though after Anton. Ron has reigned over some of our best moments and most of the worst

Have I lost the love for this football club? My football club? No. As I alluded to during midweek though, it feels very much like a toxic relationship at the moment. I feel almost guilty for not having the passion to go to as many games as I can though these days.

Last edited:
My love of the club hasn't gone.

Any remaining respect or goodwill towards the chairman and the board is long gone, poor decision after poor decision has put us in this situation.

Being an exile the club is a bit of a link to where I grew up, a bit of something to cling onto to remind me of my youth, that can't be taken away by a failed property developer, journeyman players or out of touch managers

I used to make sacrifices to go watch a game but no longer get worked up if I can’t make a game for whatever reason .
I still get hurt when we lose but nothing like I used to , it’s almost like you have been let down so many times you just resign yourself for a negative result or performance

I've felt disengaged from the club since the beginning of last season. Living over a 100 miles away for the last 15 years always meant I attended very few games anyway. So every season I've found myself caring less and less.

Also having two sons from Peterborough and my belief that you should support your local team means I'm currently a Peterborough season ticket holder and am enjoying watching a decent competitive standard of football.

I imagine I'll get pelters for this post but thought I'd share my feelings on whether 'the love has gone'. Unfortunately for me, it very nearly has.

I've felt disengaged from the club since the beginning of last season. Living over a 100 miles away for the last 15 years always meant I attended very few games anyway. So every season I've found myself caring less and less.

Also having two sons from Peterborough and my belief that you should support your local team means I'm currently a Peterborough season ticket holder and am enjoying watching a decent competitive standard of football.

I imagine I'll get pelters for this post but thought I'd share my feelings on whether 'the love has gone'. Unfortunately for me, it very nearly has.
I often wonder what ill do if my son gets into football and wants to watch his local team.

Cant stand the thought of watching brighton, but probably would for his sake.

While i watch proper football i can always put a bluetooth earbud in and listen to the utter ****e we play tho ?

You are Barry Fry and i claim my £5

Back