• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southchurch

Manager⭐
Has he noticed that the two teams that pass the ball the best are in the final of the Euro's.
Did he see that the most competent passing teams and those that held possession for the longest in league 2 last season were the 3 promoted.
Did he listen when loyal supporters told him to change the style of play or be prepared to fail.
He is bringing in new players and dealing with existing contracts. Now is the time to decide on tactics and bring in the appropriate skills required to succeed.

We don't want to hear-
1- We are playing controlled direct football.
2- We are looking for possession in the final 3rd.
3- You cant get promoted playing possession football in this league.

Bloody hell Spain have bored the arse off me this tournament. Pass pass pass yawn yawn yawn. All this talk England should play like them is nonsense, it's not in our football culture,

Its a difficult one. Whatever style of football we played we got to the last day of the season in with a shout of going up. If we had defensively been better in just one game we would be up. Yes I believe The blues style of play last season was not one for the purists or one that will be given many compliments but for me that is not the issue. I once posted a thread entitled ' Sturrock go and do one' which had its supporters and dissenters. My reasoning was thus;
1. Sturrock for me, a manager of vast experience, had to admit to making mistakes too often last season. costly.
2. PS had the handicap, in the view of some, of having to assemble a new squad over the last two seasons. By that argument he had a side he believed in and had signed up to his view, which is a lot better than an inherited squad you don't want.
3. He brought in a host of players, many of whom never got a decent run in the side or barely a sniff at a start. Even on low wages that was an expensive and futile exercise.
4. Point 4, for me the most important, is that I heard him blame floodlights, sending off's, player discipline etc when he should have been holding his hands up and taking the can. If he had come out on the OS and made a big thing of apologising for the performances and the failure to limp over the line, then I would say fair enough. His lack of public humility leads me to believe we are in for more of the same dross.
For all those RM haters out there, who vilify the man for what he did to the team, in their opinion, in seasons gone by, well he supported the team in terms of players last term and still cannot win. I only hope that it has not added undue financial pressure on this season because if it does it is not with RM the blame lies...

We don't want to hear-
2- We are looking for possession in the final 3rd.
Really?! :facepalm:

When he says this. What he really means is thump it forward and HOPE that we get possession in the final 3rd. I would like to see it go through midfield just now and again. Ask grant what he wanted, a touch now and again might be the reply.

Bloody hell Spain have bored the arse off me this tournament. Pass pass pass yawn yawn yawn. All this talk England should play like them is nonsense, it's not in our football culture,

I do agree with this and think Spain have gone a bit too far . However , watching defenders thumping it long and hoping for a nod on, is a little bit boring to say the least. So many games last season I sat and wondered 'what am I getting out of this?'

There's nothing wrong with the English way of playing - two wingers, a big centre forward, two strong centre backs. It's exciting to watch when it's done well. Unfortunately, the current England team just has poor players.

I bet the wee birdie would get slated if he started the first game of the season with Timlin and Ferdinand up front.

Its a difficult one. Whatever style of football we played we got to the last day of the season in with a shout of going up. If we had defensively been better in just one game we would be up. Yes I believe The blues style of play last season was not one for the purists or one that will be given many compliments but for me that is not the issue. I once posted a thread entitled ' Sturrock go and do one' which had its supporters and dissenters. My reasoning was thus;
1. Sturrock for me, a manager of vast experience, had to admit to making mistakes too often last season. costly.
2. PS had the handicap, in the view of some, of having to assemble a new squad over the last two seasons. By that argument he had a side he believed in and had signed up to his view, which is a lot better than an inherited squad you don't want.
3. He brought in a host of players, many of whom never got a decent run in the side or barely a sniff at a start. Even on low wages that was an expensive and futile exercise.
4. Point 4, for me the most important, is that I heard him blame floodlights, sending off's, player discipline etc when he should have been holding his hands up and taking the can. If he had come out on the OS and made a big thing of apologising for the performances and the failure to limp over the line, then I would say fair enough. His lack of public humility leads me to believe we are in for more of the same dross.
For all those RM haters out there, who vilify the man for what he did to the team, in their opinion, in seasons gone by, well he supported the team in terms of players last term and still cannot win. I only hope that it has not added undue financial pressure on this season because if it does it is not with RM the blame lies...

Well put sir ! My thoughts too.

Well yes the fault with this club at this moment
lays with martin for putting the club on its knees and
then bringing sturrock in. 2 idiots made for each other

didn't play like this last time we got out this league?

We had several players then who were clearly a cut above L2 standard, that's not the case this time. Flahavan, Barrett, Prior, Gower, Maher, Guttridge, an emergent Freddy Eastwood at his most potent and even Macca on loan at the best time of his playing career for us. Who honestly in our current side would you say is above L2 standard....Hall, Mohsni, Phillips if he can stay fit enough, that's about it for me.

didn't play like this last time we got out this league?

I take your point, but we almost didn't make it then either. A terrible run of form cost us automatic promotion and we scraped past Northampton to the Play Off Final against a very poor Lincoln team. This time, fate handed Crewe who, on form, were probably only second to Swindon last year. Very fine margins.

This is League Two, not the Euros. Germany have arguably played better football than Italy during the tournament but they lost to a superb defensive and counter-attacking performance from the Italians. People always go on about Holland's 'total football' but what have they won. And Spain have scraped through to the final and have been labelled as boring.

Back