• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yep, spot on and derives from a collection for the feat achieved, which resulted in the presentation of a hat to the bowler, in recognition.

Here he is, a few years later with "that" hat.

JS59072274.jpg

Look at him, still living the dream!

A true hattrick is scoring all 3 goals in a row. So if you score goals number 1,2 and 5 in 5-0 win, that is not a true hattrick

That's more an American (ice) hockey thing where there are generally lots of goals and ordinary hattrick's would be commonplace.

A true hattrick is scoring all 3 goals in a row. So if you score goals number 1,2 and 5 in 5-0 win, that is not a true hattrick

That's more an American (ice) hockey thing where there are generally lots of goals and ordinary hattrick's would be commonplace.

Not many headers though!

Indeed, nor right footers and left footers come to think of it. Although I'm sure I was replying to the consecutive goals point :winking:

I'm cheating and make it 9 with the 2 in the cup
Chester Mar 68
Exeter October 68
Kings Lynn Nov 68
Brentwood 5 -Dec 68
Aldershot April 69
Scunthorpe Sept 69
Peterborough (a) 4 - March 70
Grimsby Sept 71
Reading (a) Mar 72

And I saw them all! The 4 at Peterborough was my favourite. We'd been crap all season were flirting with having to apply for re-election to Div 4 and the result was Peterborough 3 Best 4

Think i may seen them all as well....the only 2 im not sure is V the Shots and Scunni??must get back into the loft and see if i have the progs.....but i BET ..NOBBLER saw them all...and still got the matchball from the games

Think i may seen them all as well....the only 2 im not sure is V the Shots and Scunni??must get back into the loft and see if i have the progs.....but i BET ..NOBBLER saw them all...and still got the matchball from the games
Hi Ozzie, Nobbler here, just to let you know I saw only the first 8 missing Billy's final hat-trick match at Reading in March 1972 on the way to our first ever promotion.
Also regarding the match balls in which Billy scored his hat-tricks he told me the balls given to him and also to Gary Moore after both F.A.Cup matches against Kings Lynn & Brentwood Town in which they scored a staggering 15 goals between them were in fact NOT the balls used in either match.
Billy also told me that when he lived in Eastwood, young kids who lived nearby (did anybody on Shrimperzone live near and play in the street with BB back in the day) would knock on his door and ask him to come outside for a kick about which he often did.
Moving on from that when Southend United celebrated their "Centenary Year" in 2006-07 the club held their dinner/dance in a marquee in the middle of the pitch at Roots Hall and with BB and his lovely wife in attendance I could not resist asking him if I could get a football would he mind knocking a few goals past me in the North(PAK)Bank just for old times sake. Sadly for me BB said no, mind you we were both in dinner suits at the time, this was however not the main reason, the reason was in fact he had left his boots at home!!
Sometimes it is hard to believe it's almost 50 years ago(27/01/68)since Billy Best came to play for Southend United.

Nobbler, if you 18 and King Billy 70,you in goal and him taking the "pens"....he would still score 5 out of 5...and one would be with his head!!!

Blimey..where was youNobbler at Reading away(72)??Dont remember the King scoring,but do remember having to get onto the pitch with Fertie(great bloke) after ending up in the Reading SIDE!! not end.
Thats when Fertie thought the police would help us out...but they were St .Johns ambulance workers

The following players have also scored hat-tricks for Southend United from 1962, the year when I made my debut at Roots Hall as a 12 year old-:
1962-63. Mike Beesley (A) Coventry City.
1962-63. John McKinven (H) Bristol Rovers.
1964-65. John McKinven (H) Bristol Rovers.
1965-66. Eddie Firmani (H) Gillingham.
1966-67. Ray Smith (H) Chester.
1966-67. Ray Smith (H) Bradford Park Avenue.
1968-69. Gary Moore (H) Swansea Town.
1969-70. Sammy McMillan (A) Brentford (LC). (This match was played at Millwall).
1970-71. Bill Garner (H) Weymouth (FAC). (Garner scored 4).
1971-72. Bill Garner (H) Chester.
1980-81. Derek Spence (H) York City.

The following players have also scored hat-tricks for Southend United from 1962, the year when I made my debut at Roots Hall as a 12 year old-:
1962-63. Mike Beesley (A) Coventry City.
1962-63. John McKinven (H) Bristol Rovers.
1964-65. John McKinven (H) Bristol Rovers.
1965-66. Eddie Firmani (H) Gillingham.
1966-67. Ray Smith (H) Chester.
1966-67. Ray Smith (H) Bradford Park Avenue.
1968-69. Gary Moore (H) Swansea Town.
1969-70. Sammy McMillan (A) Brentford (LC). (This match was played at Millwall).
1970-71. Bill Garner (H) Weymouth (FAC). (Garner scored 4).
1971-72. Bill Garner (H) Chester.
1980-81. Derek Spence (H) York City.
Following on from my earlier post can you name the player who has scored a hat-trick for and against us??

Of course Dave, we saw the game - Wrexham away. Ray Smith

For some strange reason I've never forgotten Howard Southwood's headline from the match report - 'Ex Blue Ray Wrecks 'Em'.

Sad on a number of levels.

No it is not. There is no such thing as a true hat trick in football. A true hat trick is referred to in Ice Hockey. A perfect hat trick is sometimes referred to by pundits in football - right foot, left foot, header.

I have never, ever seen a claim that scoring three goals in a match wasn't a hat trick, unless an OG was involved.

Back