• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
So have you been to Scunthorpe before?
Perhaps you were there last November in the Cup?
Or on our first visit to the Old Show Ground in 1964?
What are your memories?

My two outstanding memories are quite obscure matches:

Tuesday 7th October 1969 Scunny 2-0 Southend
We had a lift to Scunthorpe from someone who knew the family of our then full-back Keith Lindsay and we stopped at his mothers house and had a cup of tea with her. He also had a brother Barry who played for Scunthorpe. Sadly Keith died in 2003 aged 57. The match was a totally forgettable 2-0 loss.

Saturday 22nd August 1970 Scunny 3-0 Southend
I had no intention of going to this match, but drinking down the Spread on the Friday night we found out that quite a few of our group were. At closing time myself and Mick changed our minds went home changed, got some money and started hitch-hiking about midnight from Eastern Avenue by Priory Park. It was hard work but we made the match in good time, but very tired and didn't fancy hitching back. A bloke had room in the back of his van and half heartedly offered us a lift back but when we got there the van had left without us. We had a consoling drink in their social club (one of our players Peter Hunt was drinking Brown Ale Shandy!). We reluctantly started to hitch home but did it in two lifts and were in a Pub in North London in time to watch Match of the Day. The match was a totally forgettable 3-0 loss.

So what are you memories?

Lost 3-0 at the Old Show Ground in the mid eighties.

Think it was 1987.

Two memories:
Sunday 22nd March 1981. Lost 1-2. Being a Sunday game and during a season we battled with Lincoln City - on and off the pitch - a reasonable number of Imps turned up to have a go at us for certain ...and perhaps Scunny also. A smaller gang of Donny Rovers also turned up.
There were four separate groups of supporters at one match.
Despite the result, we pipped Lincoln City to the title.

11th April 1987. Scunny United 3 Southend United 0. I travelled on an "unnoficial" coach to the game. Plenty of drinking took place and one of our number was extremely sick and collapsed at a service station.. Worryingly he swallowed his tongue. I had seen a tv programme where a guy used a spoon to hold the tongue back while the patient could seek help.
I ran into the service area and grabbed a spoon. I held it in position until an ambulance arrived.
For some inexplicable reason, it was decided i would accompany the patient to hospital as i was holding the spoon. Ginge also jumped in.
So, we found ourselves at Grantham Hospital. The tongue swallower was kept in for observation. Ginge and I had the price of a few pints and went to a pub in town that had Leeds Utd fans who I believe had lost in the FA Cup Semi at Hillsborough. We met a weird couple who offered us a bed for the night - we refused.
Ended up catching the first morning train that stopped at Grantham but had no ticket. So on the train and at every inspection point to Southend Central we started on about "man swallowed tongue, spoon...blah blah blah" - we bored them into allowing us to continue our journey!!

You asked!!

What are your memories?

We had a lift to Scunthorpe from someone who knew the family of our then full-back Keith Lindsay and we stopped at his mothers house and had a cup of tea with her. He also had a brother Barry who played for Scunthorpe. Sadly Keith died in 2003 aged 57. The match was a totally forgettable 2-0 loss.

I had no intention of going to this match, but drinking down the Spread on the Friday night we found out that quite a few of our group were. At closing time myself and Mick changed our minds went home changed, got some money and started hitch-hiking about midnight from Eastern Avenue by Priory Park. It was hard work but we made the match in good time, but very tired and didn't fancy hitching back. A bloke had room in the back of his van and half heartedly offered us a lift back but when we got there the van had left without us. We had a consoling drink in their social club (one of our players Peter Hunt was drinking Brown Ale Shandy!). We reluctantly started to hitch home but did it in two lifts and were in a Pub in North London in time to watch Match of the Day. The match was a totally forgettable 3-0 loss.

"NOT GOOD" I have had 4 visits to Scunthorpe's Old Show Ground although it could be six if you count the matches off. They were in 1968-69 lost 4-1 last match of the season(+postponed twice) also after this match I(with Mick?)stayed overnight at Keith Lindsey's Mum & Dad's house in Winterton?(Also while hitch-hiking with Mick to the 1st.postponed game the players coach stopped and gave us a lift for the last 25?miles, then a few weeks later when we were hiking again we saw the players coach coming at almost the same spot as a few weeks earlier but decided to hide(Hopefully Mick will explain this better?)1969-70 lost 2-0, 1970-71 lost 3-0 and also in 1980-81 lost 2-1 and played on a Sunday I think(This was our 4th.Division Championship Season). Kevin Keegan played (but didn't score) against us in 1968-69,1969-70 & 1970-71. Also because the match in 1968-69 was postponed twice Southend tried to get the match played at Arsenal's ground Highbury but understandably Scunthorpe would not agree.The attendance was only 1,950 mainly due to Scunthorpe playing their last 5 matches of the season at home. My next and last visit was in 1988 at the opening of Glanford Park to see a Select XI(including Kevin Keegan). At that time this was the newest stadium in the league since Roots Hall opened in 1955.(how many are there now). I shall be going this week as I have never seen us play there, and I am led to believe Scunthorpe are due to leave Glanford Park soon for pastures new, less than 30 years after leaving The Old Show Ground.("IN OUR DREAMS").

What are your memories?

You fail to mention that the bloke who gave us a lift from virtually Doncaster to London explained that he always picked up hitch-hikers as it gave him someone to talk to on the long journeys. Having been up all the night before we both promptly fell asleep and he woke us up in London !

Two memories:
Sunday 22nd March 1981. Lost 1-2. Being a Sunday game and during a season we battled with Lincoln City - on and off the pitch - a reasonable number of Imps turned up to have a go at us for certain ...and perhaps Scunny also. A smaller gang of Donny Rovers also turned up.

!!

Me & my estranged wife went to this one, and made a mini break out of it. We knew a couple from Scunny, who invited us up to stay.
We were there from the Wednesday to the Monday, although on the Thurs & Fri we drove up to Flamborough Head & stayed overnight. Our friends took us out to many local Pubs on the Fri evening, Saturday & Sunday pre and post game, was so cheap up there!.
We played rubbish in the game, & I remember the Lincoln 'firm' coming into the end where our fans were. Everyone we met were friendly (unlike Grimsby, just 'up the road'!), and the local sausages (Judges) were lovely, as was Scunny market.
We had a great time there, apart from the match!.
Happy days & memories.

2005, Day off work and I decided to drive to Scunthorpe. Although I had a rough idea where it was I set off at midday for a 19:30 kick off and arrived a couple of hours later. As I was driving I couldn't drink and Scunthorpe isn't exactly the Las Vegas of Lincolnshire.
To make matters worse the first half was dismal and we were 1-0 down and playing poorly. Sod this I thought and left to go home. Got in eleven hours after setting off to watch the worst 45 minutes of football Southend played that season.

Yep, was there as well.

The only time I can remember fighting breaking out in our end involving neither of the two teams taking part!

The John Egan goal is such a vivid memory from the 2014 game. We were busting a nut to secure a playoff place but hadn't won in 9 league games, and Scunthorpe were riding high in 2nd and unbeaten in 19 league games. 2 nil down at half time and feared the worst (we were really bad in the first half, and the away crowd were fighting amongst themselves), but whatever Brown did a half time inspired a fantastic turn around, an incredible strike from Egan, a shanked cross from White that Ronaldinho'd into the far corner of the net, and some chances to win the game.

"NOT GOOD" I have had 4 visits to Scunthorpe's Old Show Ground although it could be six if you count the matches off. They were in 1968-69 lost 4-1 last match of the season(+postponed twice) also after this match I(with Mick?)stayed overnight at Keith Lindsey's Mum & Dad's house in Winterton?

Yes, me again !

Co-incidentally (or maybe not, given that many surnames historically derive from places of origin), Scunthorpe United were called Scunthorpe and Lindsey United until 1958.

It might have been Winterton although I don't remember it being through Scunthorpe and out the other side. Might it have been Kirton in Lindsey ? Sounds like Pete went the following year, perhaps he remembers ?

"NOT GOOD" I have had 4 visits to Scunthorpe's Old Show Ground although it could be six if you count the matches off. They were in 1968-69 lost 4-1 last match of the season

A disappointing finish to a wonderful season. The match was to be Chico Hamilton's last match for the Shrimpers .... or rather part of a match as he was replaced by substitute Bobby Howlett also playing in his last match.

We had to bring the curtain down on that season with four away games at Bradford City, Darlington, Rochdale and Scunthorpe in the space of 12 days.

A disappointing finish to a wonderful season. The match was to be Chico Hamilton's last match for the Shrimpers .... or rather part of a match as he was replaced by substitute Bobby Howlett also playing in his last match.

We had to bring the curtain down on that season with four away games at Bradford City, Darlington, Rochdale and Scunthorpe in the space of 12 days.

I think Rochdale won promotion against us by winning that match? Bradford City also won promotion but not when they beat us I don't think. Darlington were also up there so a tough 3 away games.
We finished 7th that season, good enough for the play offs if they had been around then!
Colchester were 1pt ahead of us in 6th place.
Also I think its that season or around then that we only played 3 Saturday home League matches all season the rest were all Fridays or mid-week.

It might have been Winterton although I don't remember it being through Scunthorpe and out the other side. Might it have been Kirton in Lindsey ? Sounds like Pete went the following year, perhaps he remembers ?

No I don't know. When I went I think the driver was older than us Bill something and I think there were five in the car, so it was quote cosy in the back. I can't remember who else went but presumably Nobbler was one. We stopped and had a wander round Lincoln Cathedral on the way. I think this Bill drove us back from Wrexham in 1968-69 (3-3 draw) after we hitched there.

It was a long tine ago.

No I don't know. When I went I think the driver was older than us Bill something and I think there were five in the car, so it was quote cosy in the back. I can't remember who else went but presumably Nobbler was one. We stopped and had a wander round Lincoln Cathedral on the way. I think this Bill drove us back from Wrexham in 1968-69 (3-3 draw) after we hitched there.

It was a long tine ago.

Bill Brough, I think. He only had one leg !

Lost 3-2 in 2004. Line up was good but they had Torpey who I recall was class.

The Shrimpers Manager : Steve Tilson
Darryl FLAHAVAN 1
Duncan JUPP 2
Spencer PRIOR 3
Adam BARRETT 4
Che WILSON 5
Carl PETTEFER 6
Kevin MAHER 7
Lewis HUNT 8
Jim CORBETT 9
Wayne GRAY 10
Freddy EASTWOOD 11
Substitutes
Andy EDWARDS for Prior (45) 12
Lawrie DUDFIELD for Pettefer (86) 13
Nicky NICOLAU for Corbett (77) 14
Clarke 15
Kightly 16

Lost 3-2 in 2004. Line up was good but they had Torpey who I recall was class.

The Shrimpers Manager : Steve Tilson
Darryl FLAHAVAN 1
Duncan JUPP 2
Spencer PRIOR 3
Adam BARRETT 4
Che WILSON 5
Carl PETTEFER 6
Kevin MAHER 7
Lewis HUNT 8
Jim CORBETT 9
Wayne GRAY 10
Freddy EASTWOOD 11