• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
Next away match Shrewsbury have you been there previously?

My first visit was 27th October 1973, it was in the days of no organised transport and getting there was very expensive until we found a "Merrymaker" excursion. These were cheap trips aimed at families to visit places of historic beauty, in this case either Shrewsbury or Chester. The times were ideal so eight of us booked tickets.

We boarded the train at London, eight of piled into a compartment meant for six, Keithie (Gus) Summers produced a pack of cards and wearing a poker visor, beers were opened, cigarettes lit (you could smoke on trains then) and the day began. A ticket collector opened the door and stared through the gloom and said have you been here all-night, the train hadn't even left the station. The other merrymakers eyed us with suspicion but we were respectful of them and the journey passed without incident.

We won the match Shrewsbury 1-2 Southend in front of a massive crowd of 1,815 but the Shrewsbury eight made their presence felt. Those of you knew Keith will know he was into Traditional Folk Music and he came up with an adapted song for the day:

We were amongst them
We were amongst them
For an hour and a quarter
We held the foe at bay
There was only eight of us that day but we were amongst them

(You probably had to be there to appreciate it).

A wonderful day, with great mates (I couldn't cope with it now I think), goals were from Alan Moody and Chris Guthrie.

Another match when many will probably remember is 2nd February 1991 Shrewsbury 0-1 Southend (Brettie Angell). I went with a young DTS and I felt after this match we could get promoted to Division Two, which of course we did three months later. Our support was good that day, standing behind the goal (the old ground of course) and in the seats on the side and both sets were singing.

No - I've never been to Shrewsbury to see a footie match ........... but I am hoping to put that right in a couple of days time.

Was it Gay Meadow where there was a man in a boat on the river during the games? Or is that just a story?

I went there on the Trust coach --- no TZ in those days----- just before Christmas 2000.

We were continuously attacked on the pitch and managed to keep them at bay until late on, during a very rare attack , the ball was crossed and Ben Abbey, I think, scored with our only shot on goal.

We won 1-0 and it made the Friday night/Saturday morning journey home much more pleasant.

My first visit was 27th October 1973, it was in the days of no organised transport and getting there was very expensive until we found a "Merrymaker" excursion. These were cheap trips aimed at families to visit places of historic beauty, in this case either Shrewsbury or Chester. The times were ideal so eight of us booked tickets.

We boarded the train at London, eight of piled into a compartment meant for six, Keithie (Gus) Summers produced a pack of cards and wearing a poker visor, beers were opened, cigarettes lit (you could smoke on trains then) and the day began. A ticket collector opened the door and stared through the gloom and said have you been here all-night, the train hadn't even left the station. The other merrymakers eyed us with suspicion but we were respectful of them and the journey passed without incident.

We won the match Shrewsbury 1-2 Southend in front of a massive crowd of 1,815 but the Shrewsbury eight made their presence felt. Those of you knew Keith will know he was into Traditional Folk Music and he came up with an adapted song for the day:

We were amongst them
We were amongst them
For an hour and a quarter
We held the foe at bay
There was only eight of us that day but we were amongst them

(You probably had to be there to appreciate it).

A wonderful day, with great mates (I couldn't cope with it now I think), goals were from Alan Moody and Chris Guthrie.

Another match when many will probably remember is 2nd February 1991 Shrewsbury 0-1 Southend (Brettie Angell). I went with a young DTS and I felt after this match we could get promoted to Division Two, which of course we did three months later. Our support was good that day, standing behind the goal (the old ground of course) and in the seats on the side and both sets were singing.

Happy 64th birthday,btw.:thumbsup:

No - I've never been to Shrewsbury to see a footie match ........... but I am hoping to put that right in a couple of days time.

Was it Gay Meadow where there was a man in a boat on the river during the games? Or is that just a story?

Indeed it was. For many years, Shrewsbury coracle maker Fred Davies would sit in his coracle during Shrewsbury Town home matches and retrieve stray footballs from the River Severn. Although Davies died in 1994, his legend is still associated with the club.

Indeed it was. For many years, Shrewsbury coracle maker Fred Davies would sit in his coracle during Shrewsbury Town home matches and retrieve stray footballs from the River Severn. Although Davies died in 1994, his legend is still associated with the club.

I did think that it was a coracle ......... but given the poor memory I did wonder if I was mixing things up again. Thanks. :thumbsup:

We boarded the train at London, eight of piled into a compartment meant for six, Keithie (Gus) Summers produced a pack of cards and wearing a poker visor, beers were opened, cigarettes lit (you could smoke on trains then) and the day began.

Well I was one of the other six. I remember (some of) it well.

Had been a few years earlier for, I think, a midweek League Cup game.

Saw us win 1-0 there once, can't remember who scored but I do remember it was ****ing down for most of the game and the roof was leaking at the back of the terrace.

According to a very learned colleague of mine and Zone member, BasildonShrew, the coracle man shared the same name with one of STFC's managers.

Thanks for the reminder Pete. I was also one of the merry eight. Whilst i do not remember much about the old Shrewsbury ground i do still remember some of the pubs. Was it Cans of Newcastle Brown that we drunk on the train?
I have been to shrewsbury's new ground a couple of times. Whilst there is a couple of good pubs close to the ground, it is well worth the trip into town.

Saw us win 1-0 there once, can't remember who scored but I do remember it was ****ing down for most of the game and the roof was leaking at the back of the terrace.

The new ground is very reasonable, a good model lower league project, no leaking roofs and a good, flat, true playing surface. Good access, facilities and reasonable stewards too.

I remember going to a re arranged fixture to Shrewsbury. Can't remember the exact numbers of away fans but it would have been around 30 of us there!

Just over an hour for me to get there, so looking forward to seeing how Brown sets out to hold a Shrewsbury side still buzzing after beating Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday and preparing for the next FA Cup game at home to Manchester United.
New ground is bland but comfortable for fans. Parking is poor as usual these days at new grounds.
Pity Barnett is ruled out. The town centre is worth a visit, quaint with some traditional old buildings.
Safe journey to all those making the trek to the Welsh borders.

I went there on the Trust coach --- no TZ in those days----- just before Christmas 2000.

We were continuously attacked on the pitch and managed to keep them at bay until late on, during a very rare attack , the ball was crossed and Ben Abbey, I think, scored with our only shot on goal.

We won 1-0 and it made the Friday night/Saturday morning journey home much more pleasant.
Yes I was on the same coach, I think it was fancy dress too? WHO LET THE ABBY OUT

as for Shrewsbury been about 7 times

Remember this game well, I remember noticing after the game when we were driving away from the ground that it was in the Abbey Foregate area of the town and every other business was Abbey Carpets, Abbey Holdings, Abbey Construction etc, was an amusing twist to a great night. I also think I remember seeing a man dressed as Santa attacking some urchin who had been kicking off outside the ground on Southend fans.

I went a few years ago and we won 1-0 as I recall although they dominated the match and got the result on the back of Paul Sansome pulling off some great saves.

Back