• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you ever own/worn a "comedy" cartoon tie?

Tie me up?

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Sat on the train today I had some right nobber opposite me. Bloke clearly thinking he is the mutts nuts sitting there in a waistcoat (1970s) and had a pocket watch - What a ****.

It was hot on the train as the heating was on the Chernyobl setting so even I was hot. Anyway the bloke opposite took of his waistcoat to reveal a Daffy Duck Disney tie. What a ****er.

Now call me a cynic but I dont think cartoons ties have ever been acceptable. I did have one once for work experience but that was when I was 15 so i am blaming that on my old man as he should have told me it was not acceptable in the work place.

So my question is are cartoon ties ever acceptable. I am also incuding those Piano ties in this catergory to save confusion.

No, totally unacceptable.
Anybody who ever wears one should have one of their fingers cut off everytime they sport one, by the time they've got no fingers left they will have learnt their lesson!

No, no, no. Whenever i see someone wearing one i have the same reaction as you did on the train. The thing is also - these cartoon ties cost more than most regular ties, so why not spend less and look less of a **** in the process id like to know

Guy who worked here turned up at christmas with a 'novelty' tie with red Rudolph nose on it. He was so pleased with it, but then he probably has a sign on his desk saying 'You dont have to be crazy to work here, but it helps'....

Never, ever acceptable, and I think it would be difficult to even get away with it in an ironic way.

Utterly unacceptable. I will confess to having owned a Daffy Duck tie when I was a teenager but I soon saw the error of my ways.

There's a bloke in my office (at I guess I'd say he's about 30) who has a wonderful array of character ties - Taz, Wile E Coyote, Daffy, the lot. Surprise surprise, he works in systems.

There's a bloke in my office (at I guess I'd say he's about 30) who has a wonderful array of character ties - Taz, Wile E Coyote, Daffy, the lot. Surprise surprise, he works in systems.

Good to see the cool cats working in these areas are still setting the bar very high in terms of fashion sense :D

I too had one for work experience at the age of 15, I can't remember what was on it but looking back now it was shocking.

Completely unacceptable and in the same league as white socks and y-fronts for me.

Last night I was having a drink with a bloke (a Colchester fan!) who had designer jeans, shoes, t-shirt, jumper and sunglasses that he claimed set him back over a grand, yet he still looked like he had got dressed in the dark.

Cartoon ties aren't acceptable, but I think the majority of chaps wearing them over the age of 15 are sociopathic corpse buggerers, so let them be.

Can honestly say i've never owned one. I was bought some typically naff cartoon character pants by an extranged 3rd uncle twice removed, but even they went to the back of the wardrobe never to be seen again.

Absolute no-no for cartoon ties.

No problems with a waistcoat and fobwatch though, especially if matched with a decent suit, a topper, a cane and possibly a monocle. Pip Pip!

Last edited:
My kids are approaching the age where they like to choose presents for people themselves (Mothers Day or friend birthdays, for example).

I have told my Wife that on no account should she allow them back in the house with a 'novelty' clothing item.

For the avoidance of doubt, this covers socks, boxers and ties.

I have received the odd one as a Christmas gift, but have never worn them, and agree with all the comments above...a definate no-no.

I work with a fella who will wear a comedy tie on the final day of each year before we break up for Christmas, and this year is was one with Santa on a lots of reindeer...but worse was that if you pressed a little button on it, it played jingle bells!!!

Its like, ok mate, you are trying to be wacky, but it's just not funny

Nay, nay and thrice nay. An absolute crime against taste, style and decency. I'm pleased to say that I have neither owned one, nor worn one.

As Exhibit 1 in my case, I present Mr. Colin Hunt, from the Fast Show:

colin_800.jpg

I'm an owner of a Homer simpson Duff beer tie (also have the matching socks).
These items were bought for me xmas before last by my two youngest (5+7 years old at the time).
They assured me I looked great wearing this gear, however it now appears I have been misled and have looked like a complete **** for the last two years.

Absolutely not, agree with Uxbridge it seems that it's only IT types that wear them.

However we do have a regular b@stard tie day at the office, in an effort to see who can come up with the most horrendous offering, but cartoon ties are banned.

I had one in the 80's but only put it on once, one look in the mirror and i was fully aware what a c**t i looked.
and considering I was one of the Bright (non Cartoon) ties and braces wearers in the office at the time it must have been one appalling tie.

Slogan socks are another no !

Yeah, hands held up, I own a Homer Simpson tie.

Still Homer is a legend so no shame :whistling:

I've had a few. Not worn one for about ten years and can't ever imagine wearing one again, but as a teenager in the late-90s it was just about socially acceptable.

I had a ridiculous Flintstones one. Red, silk thing it was.

Back