• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters
Fans grizzling over a 6 mile run. It should have been a Howard Wilkinson timed half marathon. Those that were late missed the bus back. No wonder our club is where it is, even the Aldershot players were taking the p*** out of us.

If you want a day off on Wednesday then put the minimal effort in on Tuesday night. We lost because Aldershot put twice as much effort in for the second half. We had no enthusiasm to even take a throw and our players were hiding..Even the Aldershot players were taking the p*** out of us fans

Several of our team don't have 90 minutes in them, especially the younger players. That has been the case for a few seasons now. We have had plenty of excuses like... We cant risk injuries ".....Didn't have enough pre-season. ...The manager was shopping for Gucci loafers.

These people are not Messi or Ronaldo so those comparisons are always nonsense. Their performance would always improve if they were fitter.

I don't really see the point of a 10 k run in isolation. Why not be more constructive and have a double training session instead. Maybe in the morning a discussion about what went wrong, with video analysis of the game; then in the afternoon a session based on the discussion.

I'm intrigued about the youngsters you claim don't have 90 minutes in them. Maybe name them?

You hate PB full stop. Its an obsession. If we won the NL you wouldn't like his choice of soup at the victory dinner.

CP was nice, so was Bond. Sol spent time on his phone and MM on his computer. The only one who had any form of success was CP whilst her had the players PB had signed.

Once he used his bigger budget to sign Lennon, Hyam, Mantom and Dieng as well as being unlucky with those old crocks who are always injured like Hopper and Hump.....That was the start of the avalanche.

Come on, you're better than that. While some of CP's signings were questionable, particularly Hyam, it was him who signed the 'crocks' you mention, both of whom have been sold for decent money and are enjoying life in League 1.

It's weird because you've previously cited those injuries to defend Powell (and I make you right on that) but suddenly you have had a pop at him and them to defend Brown.

It's Brown's team now. It's up to him to get the best out of the players and stop shouting.

This was always going to happen which is why I said PB should never have took the job back in May

We are left with those other don't want. Even Cordner signed for Weymouth. I personally know a player who was a target and he signed for more money at another team....The ones who are top of the NL

Thats why we have Atkinson back, not because PB wanted him but because 100 other players said no thanks

That wont be admitted in the next Zoom call and there will be 1000's of posts identical to 4 years ago blaming the latest electrician when we all know its the plumber who caused the leak.

What next,....back to CP then Bond?
I know you like Phil and to be fair when I've met him he is a likable guy and he was a good appointment the 1st time around. I'd love to be proven wrong but he seems like a completely wrong choice when you look at what brought him success here last time. He brought in big name players, well big for Southend, on decent size contracts. We don't have money to splash and the place the club is in now isn't a good fit for Phil. I've said before that I wouldn't have gotten rid of Mark Moseley and let him carry on trying to build. I saw an element of progress with him when we went from the most leaky backline in the league to a solid defensive unit. He was green and made mistakes but I remember Ron commenting on his work rate and I have heard very good things about him from people in the game. Obviously we can't go backwards and you are right in saying Ron has made terrible decisions, there are managers in this league with lower budgets who are doing a better job though. Even with the Ron factor considered this is a job with greater resources than most in this league and I think anything below 10th is failure. I'm torn as I don't think Phil is the right man but I do think any manager needs time and to chop and change now would not be giving him a fair chance. Ron is as bad as Phil being blinded by big names including Harry Redknapp. We are non-league and back to basics is needed, I see players better than ours when I watch Chelmsford and others in the league below us, you talk like there are no other options for Phil other than what he has because everyone rejects us but I think he's looking in the wrong places because he is used to a structure where he can bring in the players he wants, we need local knowledge of Essex non-league. The players are there and realistically we can/could have got them.

I don't really see the point of a 10 k run in isolation. Why not be more constructive and have a double training session instead. Maybe in the morning a discussion about what went wrong, with video analysis of the game; then in the afternoon a session based on the discussion.

I'm intrigued about the youngsters you claim don't have 90 minutes in them. Maybe name them?

Come on, you're better than that. While some of CP's signings were questionable, particularly Hyam, it was him who signed the 'crocks' you mention, both of whom have been sold for decent money and are enjoying life in League 1.

It's weird because you've previously cited those injuries to defend Powell (and I make you right on that) but suddenly you have had a pop at him and them to defend Brown.

It's Brown's team now. It's up to him to get the best out of the players and stop shouting.
The old crocks was a tongue in check comment to those that constantly claim only people over 30 get injured. If young Tom Clifford had not been injured we may well have beaten Wrexham and not seen Coulson struggling to stop Aldershot winning down the same LB slot on Tuesday.

As for those that don't have 90 mins Bridge, Dalby and Phillips in that order. The first two lose all sparkle after 70mins and Harry P starts playing it to safe to early

I'm not slagging them as like all 3 players. At first I thought is was just game time needed but its there for all to see. 6 games in its now a worry.

The old crocks was a tongue in check comment to those that constantly claim only people over 30 get injured. If young Tom Clifford had not been injured we may well have beaten Wrexham and not seen Coulson struggling to stop Aldershot winning down the same LB slot on Tuesday.

As for those that don't have 90 mins Bridge, Dalby and Phillips in that order. The first two lose all sparkle after 70mins and Harry P starts playing it to safe to early

I'm not slagging them as like all 3 players. At first I thought is was just game time needed but its there for all to see. 6 games in its now a worry.
I think that's a little simplistic. Bridge is creative and hard working. The role he plays out wide and tracking back is perhaps more than he is physically up to for ninety minutes plus. However, if we were not pushed back so often he would have less to do, or play him as a 10 and teach him how to manage his work rate.

Dalby does not hide. His work rate is good and he will chase one too many lost causes. Many players in his position, in all leagues are substituted because they run themselves out of puff.

Phillips I am undecided on. He has something about him, dare I say class? I think he would suit a better organised side where he can spray the ball about and not run himself ragged. More of a Hoddle type. Classy but don't expect too many tackles from him.

The youngsters look as though they tire because they are picking up the slack from too many less athletic players. We have a side with more than its fair share of plodders. Good at what they do but slow to intercept, slow to move with the ball and way to slow for the foot races they face in each game.

I think PB has made mistakes in recruitment. We have experience in the side but lack pace and athleticism and this makes us uncompetitive. Would I bin the manager? No. It's too soon but the gaffer needs more recruits and to learn a few lessons. Who on earth would leave Coulson as the only man back at set pieces? You don't put a Sinclair C5 in a Formula 1 race!

I suspect things will pick up soon and the doom and gloom will abate.

We are the oldest squad in the league and so far the highest number of older experienced players in a teams squad we have come up against is Four, we have double that, given Phil’s own acknowledgement of a preference for mature experienced players and old mates

its barely a surprise Ogogo, Dunne, Atkinson and Coulson have been injured , although the latter a matter of bad luck. Winning teams have less injuries also.
neither is it a surprise we are being run ragged by a host of youthful, energetic teams we have met so far

Anyone changed their minds?

Go to a team that hasn't won at home all season and set up for a draw?

Do you think this is acceptable?
I would change my vote from Too Early To Say last week to No this week. The real problem underlying our downfall is Ron Martin and it is sometimes far too easy to focus on whoever happens to be our latest struggling manager. However, and it gives me no pleasure as someone who liked PB first time round, he doesn't look the right man for the job now. Ron's destruction of our reputation makes it very hard to recruit decent players especially when we were in the FL but I suspect that someone with better knowledge of the NL could have recruited a lot better at this level.

Anyone changed their minds?

Go to a team that hasn't won at home all season and set up for a draw?

Do you think this is acceptable?

Yep - I've switched to No from unsure.

I'm not normally one to advocate the sacking of managers, but I actually think the club has the players to put out a team that can play* much better then we are. And I blame PB for that.

Do I have faith that RM can appoint a better manager - not really!!

*play better - not necessarily win!

Anyone suggesting we sack brown to get tilson back in needs their heads wobbled. Tilson has been out of the men’s professional game for so long now, had a great team at his disposal last time which he won’t have now and hasn’t exactly achieved anything since leaving us. If brown does go (I don’t think he will….yet) then we need to get a manager in who knows this league well to stabilise us.

Anyone suggesting we sack brown to get tilson back in needs their heads wobbled. Tilson has been out of the men’s professional game for so long now, had a great team at his disposal last time which he won’t have now and hasn’t exactly achieved anything since leaving us. If brown does go (I don’t think he will….yet) then we need to get a manager in who knows this league well to stabilise us.
Er, Tilson built that great team. Regardless of everything else let’s not kid ourselves that Steve Tilson was anything other than an exceptional manager for Southend United

Tilly needs a right hand man ie brush ,plus I don’t think he will put up with Martin anyway

Er, Tilson built that great team. Regardless of everything else let’s not kid ourselves that Steve Tilson was anything other than an exceptional manager for Southend United
Was - a very long time ago. Football has moved on and tilson has been out the professional game a long time and football styles are different and players seem to have so much more power and throw their toys out the pram much more. When was the last time someone came back to the club and smashed it? Everyone goes on about tilson like he will come in like the messiah. If he is that great why has he been so unsuccessful since he left?

We need to look forward rather than back. Still feel that we should have given Darren Currie a shot when he put himself forward in 2020. Yet we went for MM instead.
No idea why we think Darren Currie managing with one hand tied behind his back and being cut off from any support would be better than MM in the same situation. Not so say that Currie isn't a good manager, just I think that MM could have been one for us with any backing in place at all.

I’ve not posted too much so far this season as I wanted to give a fair sample before I gave my thoughts. I didn’t want to be over reactionary after another **** poor performance. I wanted time to reflect. That time has come…

Brown out!
13 games
3 wins - a 10 man KL, and an on the beach Barrow and Orient (in which Barrow’s keeper gifted us the winner)
5 draws
5 losses - including the Colchester game, that was the lowest point of my Southend supporting lifetime

He’s a backwards step from MM. (dons tin hat)

At least with MM the much maligned process was showing long term vision and albeit slow upward trajectory, with an improved rearguard. All this whilst under an embargo and with the worst squad perhaps we’ve ever had.

Compare his starting 11 he had available against Harrogate with PB’s against Kings Lynn you’d expect this season’s side to win on paper. We struggled to a 1-0 against a 10 man Kings Lynn. We’ve had worse results in a lesser competition with better players and somehow people still think PB is the answer.

Oxley for Arnold - upgrade
Elvis for Dimi - much of a muchness
Hobson for Coulson - downgrade imo (Get Hobson off the bench)
Taylor for White - upgrade
Ralph as is
Egbri for Phillips - not a right midfielder but still an upgrade imo
Gard for Ogogo - upgrade
Hutchinson for Ferguson - upgrade but PB wants him gone, Hutch also gone couple weeks later
Green for Bridge - upgrade? Also gone couple weeks later
Goodship for Dalby - Major upgrade
Kelman for Murphy - arguably not an upgrade but Kelman was gone a couple weeks later

People keep asking for him to be chucked money, do they not realise it’s that tactic that is a major reason for our current demise. His signings are majority short term sticky plasters on bigger than average wages and past their peak. I’ve read previously that the team he’s assembled this summer would have been good signings for this league back in 2016! It’s very apt.

I would hazard a guess that the finances have been more adequate this season than last too! He’s certainly been better tooled up in comparison to our league competition than anyone since Powell arguably.

The ‘he didn’t get his top targets as our name is mud’ arguments - our name is mud, but he got his top targets. Murphy, Dunne, Atkinson, Coulson, Ogogo were amongst them he got them. Holmes was another he wasn’t allowed thankfully. Bridge was one of Duncan’s top targets. He has been granted exactly what he wanted and then said his team hasn’t got the character and aren’t horrible enough. You knew what you were recruiting.

The football bar the odd 20mins here and there is ****e, hoof balls bypassing the midfield. The defence for a man that brags about his clean sheet mentality has got noticeably worse since the end of MM’s reign.

Shall we look at how he handles himself in the press. No I in team but there is in Phil - loves himself, throws anyone and everyone under the bus. Bloke is a class A pillock. And when he does accept some form of responsibility he goes and contradicts it in the very next sentence.

I’ll pay him his dues. I do think Arnold, Murphy, Ogogo(if fit) and Dalby look great signings. But again 3 of that 4 have got maybe a year left in them past this season. Realistically they’re not the future of our club. Bridge is ok too, he might be here for the next 3-5 years.

I want to finish this rant on PB by accepting it’s certainly not all his fault but he can account for a lot more wrong than the past 13 games. RM is ultimately accountable for the majority of our slump. In my personal opinion Powell and Molesley shouldn’t have been sacked and even Sol did a good job despite being a total ****ing oddball. But the slump began when PB overpaid, and RM put too much trust in his ROI. We’ve been chasing our losses ever since. RM needs to go, but it isn’t happening until he’s finished his development.

PB needs to go if we’re to have any hope of improving on the pitch in the short/mid and long term. The ‘process’ was ripped the **** out of, but what many didn’t realise is it’s exactly what we need! Because like many have noticed the club is rotten to its core and it’s a long term process, that MM was looking to achieve, that will turn the fortunes of this club ever so slowly.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Rome was not built in a day.

But with 'builder of the year' on the bench, 2 other builders kicked off the job when they are clearly better than some that are still on the job, chippy's being asked to do the work of bricklayers, and the foreman having a tendency to kick men off site rather than have a quiet word in their ear when they don't give him what he wants - you have to ask whether we could get Rome built more quickly with a different approach.

Back