• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters
Tilly needs a right hand man ie brush ,plus I don’t think he will put up with Martin anyway
Listening to Tilly on Glen Pennyfathers phone in show last week he was talking positively about Ron saying he had put in lots of money into the club. I felt that this was a shrewd move by Steve not to slag off the club owner and keep the door open to a future job interview.

I never had any. Thought it was the wrong appointment
Me too. As usual RM rushed in to offering PB a contract and I have to question the motives of someone with such a big ego wanting to manage a non league club.

PB left for very good reasons first time round and most supporters at the time wanted him out, going back in any kind of relationship rarely works.

Ultimately we all know who is responsible for our shameful and heart breaking decline and any manager wanting to work with RM in charge after the way he has turned our club in to an embarrassment to be avoided at all costs needs their bumps felt.

Sadly we all know RM isn't going anywhere so this is it for my beloved football club and what a sad, sorry, embarrassment we have become. Our wonderful supporters deserve so much more.

Listening to Tilly on Glen Pennyfathers phone in show last week he was talking positively about Ron saying he had put in lots of money into the club. I felt that this was a shrewd move by Steve not to slag off the club owner and keep the door open to a future job interview.
He'd take it at the drop of a hat, but Ron was only interested in him recently with Adam Barrett, and Adam is wisely staying put.

Last edited:
He'd take it at the drop of a hat, but Ron was only interested in him recently with Adam Barrett, and Adam's is wisely staying put.

The Chairman's patience with PB is certainly going to be tested now. The defeats against Aldershot and Torquay were very disappointing to say the least, and I am not sure whether the Chairman will buy the line about failure being to due a lack of "character" and "confidence" and that bringing in more players will help when PB has not given a fair crack of the whip to a number of players including Walsh, Akinola, Kinali and ANG.

Tilly has been at Heybridge swifts with Julian dicks, who has just quit due to results. Tilly hasn't done anything of note for so long and I think there would be many better for the job. Ron likes a yes man though so it wouldn't surprise me. I think tilly would be another bad decision though.

Tilly has been at Heybridge swifts with Julian dicks, who has just quit due to results. Tilly hasn't done anything of note for so long and I think there would be many better for the job. Ron likes a yes man though so it wouldn't surprise me. I think tilly would be another bad decision though.
Tilly would come with a lot of goodwill and that is what Ron needs right now to get fans off his back. I’m not sure manager is necessarily the right role now but there should absolutely be a role for Tilly in our club

I think I am right in saying that Tilly took over as caretaker manager at Heybridge Swifts yesterday, they picked up their first point of the season with a creditable draw away at Aveley.

I like Brown but wouldnt use the word faith. I have faith in my family and close friends

Ron must be struggling again with when to act, and in what way, especially as he left it late last time. Given the awful history of repeated changes to Management , I wouldnt dispense with Brown at this stage, but DRASTIC action is clearly needed

I have only limited faith in our recruitment processes and thats been the case for some years. . Not sure how it works, overall I thought from Rons previous comments, the process was a team effort, with the Management group, although Ron finally signs off the cheque. That leaves the responsibility with the group and not a single persons fault but things need to change process wise here or look at the personnel on the recruitment front

I was pleased with the introduction of Arnold, Murphy , Dalby and Bridge. For me Dunne signed on a 2 year contract was beyond belief as was the hapless signing of long gone Coulson and Atkinson, to contribute to our status as the oldest swingers in town .Ogogo not sure

Either way I disliked the move to fulfill Phils belief in experienced players. From the outset it was clear having the eldest and potentially the least mobile side in the league, with a high risk of injury , seemed very bizarre to say the least. Neithe r am I a complete believer in the no one loves us and wont come here theory although acknowledge Ron has let us down badly in the reputation stakes

Last year we did quite well with Olayinka and Taylor as loanees but Im not sure Dennis and Kargbo meet the same standard. Yet again other sides are flourishing with the contribution of the loanees they have brought in

So that leaves the alternative drastic action of dispensing now with the services of Atkinson, and Coulson, returning Kargbo, who doesnt look like he will get much game time. Id like to pay up Dunne but that wont happen on a 2 year deal. Midfield and the back 4 needs urgently addressing. Hobson should be in there full time

Reconsider Akinola and ANG , although that probably wont happen either ,so bring in new loanees fast, especially for midfield and the back 4, Utilise Howard and Rush a bit more to freshen things up, Play Bridge in midfield

I like Brown but wouldnt use the word faith. I have faith in my family and close friends

Ron must be struggling again with when to act, and in what way, especially as he left it late last time. Given the awful history of repeated changes to Management , I wouldnt dispense with Brown at this stage, but DRASTIC action is clearly needed

I have only limited faith in our recruitment processes and thats been the case for some years. . Not sure how it works, overall I thought from Rons previous comments, the process was a team effort, with the Management group, although Ron finally signs off the cheque. That leaves the responsibility with the group and not a single persons fault but things need to change process wise here or look at the personnel on the recruitment front

I was pleased with the introduction of Arnold, Murphy , Dalby and Bridge. For me Dunne signed on a 2 year contract was beyond belief as was the hapless signing of long gone Coulson and Atkinson, to contribute to our status as the oldest swingers in town .Ogogo not sure

Either way I disliked the move to fulfill Phils belief in experienced players. From the outset it was clear having the eldest and potentially the least mobile side in the league, with a high risk of injury , seemed very bizarre to say the least. Neithe r am I a complete believer in the no one loves us and wont come here theory although acknowledge Ron has let us down badly in the reputation stakes

Last year we did quite well with Olayinka and Taylor as loanees but Im not sure Dennis and Kargbo meet the same standard. Yet again other sides are flourishing with the contribution of the loanees they have brought in

So that leaves the alternative drastic action of dispensing now with the services of Atkinson, and Coulson, returning Kargbo, who doesnt look like he will get much game time. Id like to pay up Dunne but that wont happen on a 2 year deal. Midfield and the back 4 needs urgently addressing. Hobson should be in there full time

Reconsider Akinola and ANG , although that probably wont happen either ,so bring in new loanees fast, especially for midfield and the back 4, Utilise Howard and Rush a bit more to freshen things up, Play Bridge in midfield
I think there's a place for Coulson. He's vulnerable to pace - agreed - so there may be some games not to play him, and we also need to think of who plays around him. But he's experienced, strong in the air, and reads the game well. There will be plenty of games this season where he can add some value.

I just feel that Martin and brown ,basically the club from the top to the playing staff have taken this league for granted thinking We will walk it that’s the problem at the moment ,
Yes, I think there's a strong element of that, and think Brown is going to have to swallow his pride and ask Akinola to give it a go.

Agreed he should but his ego means he won't.

Yes, I think you are right. The rational thing for PB would be give Akinola a chance to prove him wrong, but I do not think he has the self-confidence to do that. But it is a bizarre situation when a club in virtual free-fall cannot pick a proven player at this level because he is "not the manager's cup of tea".

I doubt PB will change his mind about Akinola. After all when Adam became persona non grata PB completely blanked him and refused to talk to him.
BTW this might be the ideal time for Adam to cut his managerial teeth. After all what has he got to lose. Fail and he joins what is now an increasingly long list of managers. On the other hand if he gets us out of this mess he is even more of a hero.

I doubt PB will change his mind about Akinola. After all when Adam became persona non grata PB completely blanked him and refused to talk to him.
BTW this might be the ideal time for Adam to cut his managerial teeth. After all what has he got to lose. Fail and he joins what is now an increasingly long list of managers. On the other hand if he gets us out of this mess he is even more of a hero.
Personally I don’t think AB would touch the club with a barge pole and nor should he. As a young up and coming coach or manager you don’t want Southend on your CV, just ask Molesley. This isn’t the time for his return. He’d be crazy.

Phil brown won’t turn it around we have been here before I can only see us getting relegated again we have a crap chairman

Changed my vote to no, he’s lost the plot with the constant slagging off individual players in public and then casting them aside, whilst continuity picking others who are **** week after week. I can’t see any improvements unless there’s a fundamental change in his attitude, but this is Brown, he‘ll never admit he‘s got anything wrong:Angry:

Put Fagan in charge or bring back Tilson.

Where to start?
By definition management is making the best use of the available resources. All football managers should have a vision of how they want to play, and, the kind of player they need to implement that vision. I have no problem with PB feeling that Akinola does not fit in with his plans, and, wanting to build a team without him.
When PB took over he must have realised that Akinola was contracted until the end of this season, and, in the context of SUFC, was not on insignificant money. This is where management comes in. By all means try to move him on but this is Southend a club with very limited resources. If we cannot find another club to take him, or, he does not wish to move on, it cannot be in the best interests of the club to pretend he does not exist while still paying him wages that are above the going rate.
This is by no means an easy situation to resolve but I would suggest that management is finding the best solutions, or, the best compromises, to difficult problems. Having a number of players on the books being paid good money and never being considered for selection, is, for any club, a poor outcome. For a club like Southend it makes no sense at all. That is even before taking into account that some of the players on the 'scrap heap' possess a modicum of pace, a quality seriously missing from the first team squad as presently constituted.
Prior to playing us yesterday Torquay had won but one game. Despite having available all of the players he signed in the close season, and, therefore presumably being able to field his first choice team, the manager's ambitions seemed to be limited to 'parking the bus' in the hope aiming at nil nil while at the same time hoping to sneak a one nil win. That is worrying. We are a club with a proud history, and, although we may now be in the National League who thought that just six games into the season when away to one of less successful teams in the league the limit of our ambitions would be to steal a point. If this mindset (and level of performance) continues we will soon find our support dropping.
From what I have seen or read I do not think the players are not trying. It is not just about 'character', or, 'playing for the badge'. If you are not good enough no amount of effort, or, determination can compensate. Leaving aside for the moment of whether our players are good enough our performances have, for the most part, not been.
Why would that be?
Why we are underachieving? It does seem, for whatever reason, that our players do not compliment each other. Whether it is the formation being used, or, the style of the players, I am left with the impression that the players have the ability to be part of a much better team than this one seems to be.
Even before the season began I thought that this squad seemed a little brittle and ill suited to the demands of the Conference. For that reason I felt the most interesting of our early games was the Wealdstone fixture as it came just about forty eight hours after the Saturday Stockport game. My fear was that with the age profile and injury history of the squad we might struggle to show our best when we were required to play an early weekend fixture following a Saturday game. I did not watch us play either Wealdstone or Aldershot but we were disappointing in both. Coincidence? Perhaps someone who saw one or both of these games might be able to tell me if I am on to something.
In the squad we have a number of players who are either nearing the end of their careers or in the twilight of them. I would suggest their game time needs to be carefully managed. I doubt (granted this is my personal opinion) that many, if any, are going to be able to start in forty games or more this season. If they are played too much we might find it results in a drop in effectiveness, or, injuries, or both.
How can this be managed? Using all the players at our disposal might be a start. There might be many reasons for the manager not to cast players out but by doing so he is seriously limiting his selection options with the result that some players will be playing a number of games which pushes them close to, or, beyond, their physical limits.
PB feels under pressure as he should. It is asking a lot of the supporters, many of whom have welcomed his appointment, to travel to watch their team play teams in the bottom half of this league, and find the limit of the team's ambition is a scoreless draw.
Have I faith in Phil Brown? I am the wrong person to ask as I thought from the beginning that his appointment was a hopeless retrograde step which could only end in tears. I do not hate the guy but just think he was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time. Should he be sacked? Poor old MM got the boot following drawing 1-1 with Morecambe away, a result that now looks pretty good. Two games before that we beat Harrogate away!
Do I think PB should be sacked? I confess I am conflicted. This is not because I think he is the man for the job but the same reason I think PB should stop casting players out, and, try to use all of the assets at his disposal. A club like Southend cannot afford to be playing two players decent wages for doing nothing (SimAk and ANG) still less four (Ferguson and Phillips?) just like we cannot afford to keep firing managers. The popular belief is that PB is stubborn and will never change but perhaps recent results might force him to undergo some self reflection.
If I had to make the decision on whether PB should stay or go I would want to know the identity of the two players we are rumoured to be trying to bring in soon. If their profile was closer to Bridge and Dalby to that of Dunne and Coulson I would find it difficult not to give him a chance to try and turn things around. But if he is seeking to bring in some veteran(s) with dodgy knees who cannot be relied on to play twice a week I would say, enough is enough. Go.
Finally, respect to John White for his actions after yesterday's game. Perhaps if PB has to go (or decides it is all too much for him and leaves) we could do worse than to give him a chance to turn around the ship. JW is charge with JD as his assistant? Or the other way around?
Many many years ago on another internet forum I did suggest RM appoint Tilly before he was given the job. If JW was to find himself in the post and did a quarter as well as Steve Tilson it would give all of us some reasons to smile. And it seems a very long time since we had a reason to do that.
And one last thing. All football managers are judged in their results. One can say 'yes but if' or 'but' but it is the results that matter. That is why Alf Ramsey eventually lost the England job many years ago and PB his first time around. And why MM was moved on.
Whatever PB says to the Echo is meaningless: it is results that will keep or lose him his job. He sometimes seems like a pundit talking about a team managed by someone else. Here's a thought: when next asked about a defeat how about saying something like: 'you saw it and it was not good. I am in charge and have to take responsibility. There is nothing left for me to say other than I have a lot to think about'.
Just a thought.

Where to start?
By definition management is making the best use of the available resources. All football managers should have a vision of how they want to play, and, the kind of player they need to implement that vision. I have no problem with PB feeling that Akinola does not fit in with his plans, and, wanting to build a team without him.
When PB took over he must have realised that Akinola was contracted until the end of this season, and, in the context of SUFC, was not on insignificant money. This is where management comes in. By all means try to move him on but this is Southend a club with very limited resources. If we cannot find another club to take him, or, he does not wish to move on, it cannot be in the best interests of the club to pretend he does not exist while still paying him wages that are above the going rate.
This is by no means an easy situation to resolve but I would suggest that management is finding the best solutions, or, the best compromises, to difficult problems. Having a number of players on the books being paid good money and never being considered for selection, is, for any club, a poor outcome. For a club like Southend it makes no sense at all. That is even before taking into account that some of the players on the 'scrap heap' possess a modicum of pace, a quality seriously missing from the first team squad as presently constituted.
Prior to playing us yesterday Torquay had won but one game. Despite having available all of the players he signed in the close season, and, therefore presumably being able to field his first choice team, the manager's ambitions seemed to be limited to 'parking the bus' in the hope aiming at nil nil while at the same time hoping to sneak a one nil win. That is worrying. We are a club with a proud history, and, although we may now be in the National League who thought that just six games into the season when away to one of less successful teams in the league the limit of our ambitions would be to steal a point. If this mindset (and level of performance) continues we will soon find our support dropping.
From what I have seen or read I do not think the players are not trying. It is not just about 'character', or, 'playing for the badge'. If you are not good enough no amount of effort, or, determination can compensate. Leaving aside for the moment of whether our players are good enough our performances have, for the most part, not been.
Why would that be?
Why we are underachieving? It does seem, for whatever reason, that our players do not compliment each other. Whether it is the formation being used, or, the style of the players, I am left with the impression that the players have the ability to be part of a much better team than this one seems to be.
Even before the season began I thought that this squad seemed a little brittle and ill suited to the demands of the Conference. For that reason I felt the most interesting of our early games was the Wealdstone fixture as it came just about forty eight hours after the Saturday Stockport game. My fear was that with the age profile and injury history of the squad we might struggle to show our best when we were required to play an early weekend fixture following a Saturday game. I did not watch us play either Wealdstone or Aldershot but we were disappointing in both. Coincidence? Perhaps someone who saw one or both of these games might be able to tell me if I am on to something.
In the squad we have a number of players who are either nearing the end of their careers or in the twilight of them. I would suggest their game time needs to be carefully managed. I doubt (granted this is my personal opinion) that many, if any, are going to be able to start in forty games or more this season. If they are played too much we might find it results in a drop in effectiveness, or, injuries, or both.
How can this be managed? Using all the players at our disposal might be a start. There might be many reasons for the manager not to cast players out but by doing so he is seriously limiting his selection options with the result that some players will be playing a number of games which pushes them close to, or, beyond, their physical limits.
PB feels under pressure as he should. It is asking a lot of the supporters, many of whom have welcomed his appointment, to travel to watch their team play teams in the bottom half of this league, and find the limit of the team's ambition is a scoreless draw.
Have I faith in Phil Brown? I am the wrong person to ask as I thought from the beginning that his appointment was a hopeless retrograde step which could only end in tears. I do not hate the guy but just think he was the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time. Should he be sacked? Poor old MM got the boot following drawing 1-1 with Morecambe away, a result that now looks pretty good. Two games before that we beat Harrogate away!
Do I think PB should be sacked? I confess I am conflicted. This is not because I think he is the man for the job but the same reason I think PB should stop casting players out, and, try to use all of the assets at his disposal. A club like Southend cannot afford to be playing two players decent wages for doing nothing (SimAk and ANG) still less four (Ferguson and Phillips?) just like we cannot afford to keep firing managers. The popular belief is that PB is stubborn and will never change but perhaps recent results might force him to undergo some self reflection.
If I had to make the decision on whether PB should stay or go I would want to know the identity of the two players we are rumoured to be trying to bring in soon. If their profile was closer to Bridge and Dalby to that of Dunne and Coulson I would find it difficult not to give him a chance to try and turn things around. But if he is seeking to bring in some veteran(s) with dodgy knees who cannot be relied on to play twice a week I would say, enough is enough. Go.
Finally, respect to John White for his actions after yesterday's game. Perhaps if PB has to go (or decides it is all too much for him and leaves) we could do worse than to give him a chance to turn around the ship. JW is charge with JD as his assistant? Or the other way around?
Many many years ago on another internet forum I did suggest RM appoint Tilly before he was given the job. If JW was to find himself in the post and did a quarter as well as Steve Tilson it would give all of us some reasons to smile. And it seems a very long time since we had a reason to do that.
And one last thing. All football managers are judged in their results. One can say 'yes but if' or 'but' but it is the results that matter. That is why Alf Ramsey eventually lost the England job many years ago and PB his first time around. And why MM was moved on.
Whatever PB says to the Echo is meaningless: it is results that will keep or lose him his job. He sometimes seems like a pundit talking about a team managed by someone else. Here's a thought: when next asked about a defeat how about saying something like: 'you saw it and it was not good. I am in charge and have to take responsibility. There is nothing left for me to say other than I have a lot to think about'.
Just a thought.
paragraphs?

Back