• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters
Today's Echo states:

Phil Brown was disappointed Dennis did not open up about his injury issues sooner.

“Matty is a young lad who doesn’t understand his body just yet by the looks of it,” said Brown.“I spoke to him today and asked him honestly when he first felt his hamstring and he said it was tight all week.

He said he felt it most on Friday. I don’t like that kind of response and I want a bit of honesty from the player."

OMG Brown - now you are bare faced lying or have a memory worse than mine as yesterday in the Echo you said :

"He had been complaining all week about not being 100 per cent but he went out there because he wants to."

What the hell is going on here as looks like PB is intent on losing the dressing room in record time?

RM grow some please and take PB to task about his either very bad memory which I hope it is or the bare faced lies and at the very least tell him to stop slagging off the clubs only assets in the press which is presumably to cover some of his own failings.

Seems PB has learned nothing since he left us first time round as his last months were full of this toxicity towards the players.

Today's Echo states:

Phil Brown was disappointed Dennis did not open up about his injury issues sooner.

“Matty is a young lad who doesn’t understand his body just yet by the looks of it,” said Brown.“I spoke to him today and asked him honestly when he first felt his hamstring and he said it was tight all week.

He said he felt it most on Friday. I don’t like that kind of response and I want a bit of honesty from the player."

OMG Brown - now you are bare faced lying or have a memory worse than mine as yesterday in the Echo you said :

"He had been complaining all week about not being 100 per cent but he went out there because he wants to."

What the hell is going on here as looks like PB is intent on losing the dressing room in record time?

RM grow some please and take PB to task about his either very bad memory which I hope it is or the bare faced lies and at the very least tell him to stop slagging off the clubs only assets in the press which is presumably to cover some of his own failings.

Seems PB has learned nothing since he left us first time round as his last months were full of this toxicity towards the players.
Don't think RM will take PB to task. RM is creased up laughing how angry some fans get about managers but not him.

I'm disappointed in our start to the season, but compare it to how we started the last two campaigns under Bond and Molesley. We need to improve but we haven't dug a hole so deep that we can't escape as we did before. The usual Phil-haters have piped up in this thread but what would their alternative be? Another hopeless first-timer like Molesley? Phil got us out of League Two, and has managed in the Premier League. It will get better.

A number of posters on here appear to have an intense dislike of PB to an extent that cannot be healthy for them. Some people didn't want him here first time round, and its obvious some would love him to fail this time. I like PB, I thought he did a great job first time but am far from convinced he is the right man this time and wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by Christmas. Whilst PB is the current object of hate for some fans, its nothing new. I've seen our fans show an intense dislike of many of our own players and managers over the years. When PB goes another group of fans will take an intense dislike to his successor. Other fans will then defend everything his successor does simply because he's not PB. Under RM's guidance we may not even have a club at some point. What will people get angry about then?

Doubt that will happen mate - people in glass houses and all that ........ when was it our new stadium build was due to start.......

I've said it before... I wasn't in favour of Brown's appointment but I am hoping he serves up huge slices of humble pie for thes of myself to consume.

I saw this season as a mid-table finish, steady the boat, and build on it next season. However, it looks like Brown is starting to rock that boat very early on when team bonding is still in development. The more he talks through the media, openly throwing players under the bus, contradicting himself, the more I fear further instability.

I'm disappointed in our start to the season, but compare it to how we started the last two campaigns under Bond and Molesley. We need to improve but we haven't dug a hole so deep that we can't escape as we did before. The usual Phil-haters have piped up in this thread but what would their alternative be? Another hopeless first-timer like Molesley? Phil got us out of League Two, and has managed in the Premier League. It will get better.
Let's hope you're right re getting better but to compare the start to a season in the National League to the start of a season in Leagues 1 and 2 is non-sensical.

But the bright side is the lower Leagues we drop to then it's likely that the start to our seasons will continue to improve on that logic.

My concern at this stage is not actually the results however, it is the regular criticism of the players that concerns me the most.

Last edited:
Let's hope you're right re getting better but to compare the start to a season in the National League to the start of a season in Leagues 1 and 2 is non-sensical.
Well, not really. Point is the last 2 seasons we were already doomed by game 10 as we were too far behind. We’ve already notched up a win and 2 draws and aren’t cast adrift. It’s not a disaster and we aren’t in freefall.

Let’s hope the team respond well tonight and get win 2 under the belt. Confidence works wonders.

I am not a fan of PB. His managerial history is one of putting out teams that cannot score. This season, despite two lauded strikers,
is looking ominous. This season we have a DoF and the CEO fans demanded, so the recruitment is not all the fault of the manager. They might be his targets but others accepted his recommendations and we have a bunch of legless crocks. I do not know what constraints are in place but I seriously doubt, and have all along doubted, that we have put together anything but a struggling side. This league has too many better than us.

Have I lost faith in PB? I never really had any but hoped he could do a job and maybe he will, but I will question whether all the blame goes to him when he has RD and TL in situ. Do I blame Ron? Well he has, very often, provided a good budget but those who control the football have come up short. I'm sure he is not blameless but there are many at the club that need to look at themself.

The problem is that the squad he assembled will be worse next season when they are a year older and with more wear and tear and as our parachute payments drop we’ll have a lower budget to work with. His was a squad assembled to peak this year (well 2015 but Ron doesn’t have a time machine) and his performance as manager needs to be judged on that. Had we been full of signings like Dalby and Bridge instead of Dunne, Murphy, Coulson, Atkinson, Arnold, Ogogo (and Dennis and Kargbo who won’t be here next year) I’d be all for saying they need a year and it would be a different conversation.

It’s not honesty. He says what he thinks fans want to hear. It’s like trusting a second hand car salesman.

Dave Webb did all right. :Winking:

Back