• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters

The guy is 15 years out of date. I hate to see constant changes of management but he wasn't the answer at the end of last season and still isn't the answer this season.
Haha nice one Phil ! No more than they deserve. As much as i'm not a fan of the tanned one as often stated on here, i doubt we'll be letting three goals in again anytime soon. I'm sure many won't agree with it on here !

The guy is 15 years out of date. I hate to see constant changes of management but he wasn't the answer at the end of last season and still isn't the answer this season.
Madness, the guy is a dinosaur. It seems like punishment and slagging players off in the press is all he has in his locker, where is the guidance? or is it just "do better or you'll get punished again". I seem to remember during his last tenure that PB said most of the work on the training ground was done by Coughlan, perhaps that was the reason behind the success we had under PB last time around? I was heavily behind PB last time around but all this madness makes me wonder if the positive stuff we saw on the pitch was actually down to him?

Whilst none of those have exactly covered themselves in glory, I would also add at which point do we conclude that the owner has also not exactly given these managers the tools and environment to do their job properly?

Can our last half dozen managers all really be that bad at their job?

I think Ron has supported them all with signings, we've gone through so many drose players over the last 3-4 years. On that basis you really do have to look at the managers and question them.

Also it's not Ron who sanctions our new signings now, it's our new CEO... I'm surprised he's not getting stick.

Haha nice one Phil ! No more than they deserve. As much as i'm not a fan of the tanned one as often stated on here, i doubt we'll be letting three goals in again anytime soon. I'm sure many won't agree with it on here !
How does a 10k jog make us better footballers?

Personally, I think a 10K jog is woefully insufficient punishment for last night's performance I'd be more in favour of a period of self-flagellation by the players, in front of the crowd, before the next home game. I want to see the blood flow blue to show their committment to the cause.

They'd probably see it as a sexual gratification ;)

How does a 10k jog make us better footballers?
Hello Southendkid, let me attempt to answer that. Firstly, a 10k jog for them is like a walk around my garden for me, its not harmful. It's psychological, i think thats the aim here. I recall years ago playing for Canvey reserves at 19 and i trained with the 1st team midweek. The coaches would have us running up and down to the sea wall until we were physically done for, some spewing up. Me, i loved it. I'd be sprinting past the experienced older 1st teamers taking the **** out of them as i went by, because i'd had given my right boot to play for the first team back then. They didnt like it one bit and went out and smashed the opposition at the weekend. You get this sort of thing going on early season when the team is beginning to settle into a pattern and find out who really wants it bad and who dont. Couple of promotions later and Canvey were beating Southend in the FA cup with most of those players. There was a great post by one of our junior players i read in the post match thread, reminded me of what it takes to get to be a pro footballer, shame i never had the right mindset in the end. An arm around them one minute and an almighty bollocking the next, just part of every season for lower league players. I guess today was the bollocking and a good run...

Fitness.....
If anyone has any niggling injuries in their legs after a match then running is going to aggravate it, swimming or an exercise bike would be better the day after a match. In any case I'd hope the squad are already fit enough to do 10k runs so it's unlikely to help our defensive frailties.

I think Ron has supported them all with signings, we've gone through so many drose players over the last 3-4 years. On that basis you really do have to look at the managers and question them.

Also it's not Ron who sanctions our new signings now, it's our new CEO... I'm surprised he's not getting stick.
I'm not sure you're right on that one. I think Tom is more involved in matters involving operational and business matters but not playing / coaching staff. I seem to recall words to this affect when RM was negotiating with his preferred CEO candidate (i.e. Tom).

I'm not sure you're right on that one. I think Tom is more involved in matters involving operational and business matters but not playing / coaching staff. I seem to recall words to this affect when RM was negotiating with his preferred CEO candidate (i.e. Tom).

You could well be right, just that my understanding is that a CEO runs the club.

If anyone has any niggling injuries in their legs after a match then running is going to aggravate it, swimming or an exercise bike would be better the day after a match. In any case I'd hope the squad are already fit enough to do 10k runs so it's unlikely to help our defensive frailties.

I doubt those who have niggles are out running....

Sometimes it's good to get away from the ball for a day. The NL is a hussle and bussle league where fitness is important and we looked nothing like a fit team yesterday. We're not in league one anymore where you can play yourself out of trouble with ball skills, we just don't have the players for that who are capable, that's where fitness comes into it.

I would still just about give him the benefit of the doubt. I think his next two or three signings could be crucial. To be fair the signings of Arnold, Murphy, Dalby and Bridge have been fine and the jury is out on Dennis and Ogogo. The others signed have not been inspiring. We also have Rush and Ralph who are both good enough for this level. Possibly, Phillips, Walsh and Gard if they make progress. Another 2 or 3 decent signings and the nucleus of a reasonable team is there. The problem is the rest of the squad which PB seems to have faith in. Too many of these are past their sell by date.

If you know anything about sport the last thing you would do is put footballers on a 10k run.

You could well be right, just that my understanding is that a CEO runs the club.
A CEO position comes with as much control and say in the running of the club as the owner/s are willing to relinquish. RM is evidently a control freak, so I doubt Tom has a complete free reign over all aspects.

Last edited:
I have to ask this, why's that?
The last thing a footballer needs is to be able to run 10k
Especially after they have played a game of football less than 24 hours before.
Running at a steady pace for 10k gives you improvement in your slow twitch muscle fibres.
So you end up like Coulson, Atkinson and Dunne last night. You may be able to run for 90 minutes but as we saw last night it is all at one pace. If you want to improve speed you need to run at short bursts of no more than 50 metres, this activates and increases your fast twitch fibres thus increasing your speed over short distances. Can someone forward this very basic human biology lesson to Phil Brown please.

The last thing a footballer needs is to be able to run 10k
Especially after they have played a game of football less than 24 hours before.
Running at a steady pace for 10k gives you improvement in your slow twitch muscle fibres.
So you end up like Coulson, Atkinson and Dunne last night. You may be able to run for 90 minutes but as we saw last night it is all at one pace. If you want to improve speed you need to run at short bursts of no more than 50 metres, this activates and increases your fast twitch fibres thus increasing your speed over short distances. Can someone forward this very basic human biology lesson to Phil Brown please.
Brown has been in the pro game for 40 years and in management for about 20 years so i sure he knows what he is doing.
Remind me again how many teams you have manage and how many years you have made a living out of pro football.

Back