• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters
Brown has been in the pro game for 40 years and in management for about 20 years so i sure he knows what he is doing.
Remind me again how many teams you have manage and how many years you have made a living out of pro football.
You obviously don't know me. Your comments are somewhat unfortunate, but I assure you that my facts are valid.

Brown has been in the pro game for 40 years and in management for about 20 years so i sure he knows what he is doing.
Remind me again how many teams you have manage and how many years you have made a living out of pro football.

Should Footballers Jog?​

In football, players are pretty much constantly running for 90 minutes, occasionally walking when the ball is out of play, but mainly jogging. Because players are constantly on the move and jog a lot, and football only has one stoppage at half time, it would make sense that footballers need to have good aerobic fitness. To get aerobic fitness, players would have to jog often and for long-distance. However, while footballers do need some aerobic fitness, jogging and long-distance running is not an effective method of training. In fact, footballers should not go jogging at all. Long-distance running and footballers jogging can actually be harmful for performance in matches and have a diminishing effect on their match fitness.

Why Jogging Negatively Affects Footballers​

Well, football is a sport that favours powerful and quick movements. You can see this when you think about the best players in the world, and what makes them so special. Lionel Messi’s lightening quick movements and turns, Cristiano Ronaldo’s powerful leap, Kylian Mbappe’s explosive bursts of speed. Football is a ‘power-sport’, which requires great strength. The truth is, jogging doesn’t get these results. They can often get the opposite. Jogging actually can make footballers weaker and slower. This is because there are fibres within muscles, some of which are ‘slow twitch fibres’ and some ‘fast twitch fibres’.

Footballers, along with other elite athletes who perform high intensity, explosive movements like sprinters, high jumpers, and tennis players are blessed with a high proportion of fast twitch muscle fibres. They allow these fast and powerful movements that are so important in the sport. So, footballers jogging or running long distances actually stimulates the slow twitch muscle fibres, so they are working those fibres and ignoring the fast twitch fibres. As a result, their bodies and muscles adapt to these slow movements and they become used to it, meaning their slow twitch fibres overpower their fast twitch fibres.

Why on earth would you do that the day after a game. The man is nuts, that isn't team bonding its punishment.
Yep, let’s take them all out for loads of ice cream and jelly, give them a nice cuddle and a early night. End of last season we wanted everyone of them sacked- now it’s oh don’t be too hard on the poor dears. We need to make our minds. Captain nice hasn’t worked to well in the past- if ever a club needed toughening up look no further..

Hello Southendkid, let me attempt to answer that. Firstly, a 10k jog for them is like a walk around my garden for me, its not harmful. It's psychological, i think thats the aim here. I recall years ago playing for Canvey reserves at 19 and i trained with the 1st team midweek. The coaches would have us running up and down to the sea wall until we were physically done for, some spewing up. Me, i loved it. I'd be sprinting past the experienced older 1st teamers taking the **** out of them as i went by, because i'd had given my right boot to play for the first team back then. They didnt like it one bit and went out and smashed the opposition at the weekend. You get this sort of thing going on early season when the team is beginning to settle into a pattern and find out who really wants it bad and who dont. Couple of promotions later and Canvey were beating Southend in the FA cup with most of those players. There was a great post by one of our junior players i read in the post match thread, reminded me of what it takes to get to be a pro footballer, shame i never had the right mindset in the end. An arm around them one minute and an almighty bollocking the next, just part of every season for lower league players. I guess today was the bollocking and a good run...
Some would just have them have s nice cup of tea and a therapy session followed by endless assurances that everything is just fine

Should Footballers Jog?​

In football, players are pretty much constantly running for 90 minutes, occasionally walking when the ball is out of play, but mainly jogging. Because players are constantly on the move and jog a lot, and football only has one stoppage at half time, it would make sense that footballers need to have good aerobic fitness. To get aerobic fitness, players would have to jog often and for long-distance. However, while footballers do need some aerobic fitness, jogging and long-distance running is not an effective method of training. In fact, footballers should not go jogging at all. Long-distance running and footballers jogging can actually be harmful for performance in matches and have a diminishing effect on their match fitness.

Why Jogging Negatively Affects Footballers​

Well, football is a sport that favours powerful and quick movements. You can see this when you think about the best players in the world, and what makes them so special. Lionel Messi’s lightening quick movements and turns, Cristiano Ronaldo’s powerful leap, Kylian Mbappe’s explosive bursts of speed. Football is a ‘power-sport’, which requires great strength. The truth is, jogging doesn’t get these results. They can often get the opposite. Jogging actually can make footballers weaker and slower. This is because there are fibres within muscles, some of which are ‘slow twitch fibres’ and some ‘fast twitch fibres’.

Footballers, along with other elite athletes who perform high intensity, explosive movements like sprinters, high jumpers, and tennis players are blessed with a high proportion of fast twitch muscle fibres. They allow these fast and powerful movements that are so important in the sport. So, footballers jogging or running long distances actually stimulates the slow twitch muscle fibres, so they are working those fibres and ignoring the fast twitch fibres. As a result, their bodies and muscles adapt to these slow movements and they become used to it, meaning their slow twitch fibres overpower their fast twitch fibres.
Thank God it was a 10k RUN then. Although some would have preferred a nice little jog no doubt with a couple of stops for a cup of tea

Yep, let’s take them all out for loads of ice cream and jelly, give them a nice cuddle and a early night. End of last season we wanted everyone of them sacked- now it’s oh don’t be too hard on the poor dears. We need to make our minds. Captain nice hasn’t worked to well in the past- if ever a club needed toughening up look no further..
But what does PB do when we lose on Saturday? Make them run 20k?

Voted no because I don’t think he is the man for us. He should be given more time to prove his worth but I don’t have faith in him

Based on the results so far, I think the only thing that we can agree on is that....we don't know, or that we do know but we don't agree.
33.2% versus 32.9% and 31.8% - makes the Brexit result look decisive.

Based on the results so far, I think the only thing that we can agree on is that....we don't know, or that we do know but we don't agree.
33.2% versus 32.9% and 31.8% - makes the Brexit result look
Based on current voting we’re at Status Quo. I can understand why Phil took them on a run. He wants them to feel like they’re in the army now. After successive seasons of down, down you can’t just have whatever you want. We’re not just here to roll over and lay down.

Us exiles would like to see us it a winning streak starting Saturday so that we can get rocking all over the world.

Well I like it!!!

And I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it
I li-li-like it, li-li-li. Here we go, rockin' all over the world!

Fans grizzling over a 6 mile run. It should have been a Howard Wilkinson timed half marathon. Those that were late missed the bus back. No wonder our club is where it is, even the Aldershot players were taking the p*** out of us.

If you want a day off on Wednesday then put the minimal effort in on Tuesday night. We lost because Aldershot put twice as much effort in for the second half. We had no enthusiasm to even take a throw and our players were hiding..Even the Aldershot players were taking the p*** out of us fans

Several of our team don't have 90 minutes in them, especially the younger players. That has been the case for a few seasons now. We have had plenty of excuses like... We cant risk injuries ".....Didn't have enough pre-season. ...The manager was shopping for Gucci loafers.

These people are not Messi or Ronaldo so those comparisons are always nonsense. Their performance would always improve if they were fitter.

You all moan at browns “old fashioned” techniques but then beg for 442 to come back.

You all moan “against modern football” and **** on the PL but get sad when 11 players that just got turned over by a pointless team get a punishment of a 10km...which would’ve taken an hour max out of their PAID days work .

You all want modern methods and then we got that with MM who served up a ****ing disgrace of a season that got us relegated against non-league.

Maybe 99% on here (me included) know **** all about modern football, how players react and what the right thing for the manager to do but will moan regardless and pretend they should be listened too.

If you accept MM/Brown and all the **** shows before them knew what they were doing much more than you ever will, you might then look at what the real problem is. As I’m sure it’s not Brown at this moment.

The run is not the problem, it’s the fact that it’s in the public domain again. No one needs to know about this, or team group chats, or how much standards have slipped, or what PB likes about Ferguson’s game and what he doesn’t. During moments like these you’re better off keeping your mouth shut. But it’s not just PB. The Echo drag the club through the mud everyday. It’s not helping at all. The club needs a siege mentality, a sense of calm and seriousness right now.

We are all so hypocritical.

On the one hand “Why don’t we get told what’s going on with Akinola and ANG“

and on the other hand

“He should keep it all in the dressing room”.

We know Brown has always liked the sound of his own voice - he’s not going to change.

He also doesn’t need this job - he wants the job. He no longer has delusions of being a Premier League manager or Sam‘s assistant for England.

Unfortunately he is only allowed to shop in the Pound shop and won’t find the quality we need.

He also believes that character will always overcome ability - but there will always be a limit as to how often that will happen.

Sadly we don’t seem to have much of either.

The run is not the problem, it’s the fact that it’s in the public domain again. No one needs to know about this, or team group chats, or how much standards have slipped, or what PB likes about Ferguson’s game and what he doesn’t. During moments like these you’re better off keeping your mouth shut. But it’s not just PB. The Echo drag the club through the mud everyday. It’s not helping at all. The club needs a siege mentality, a sense of calm and seriousness right now.
Chris P knows what he is doing and a certain of fans reaction is always predictable. It was exactly the same last time PB was here.

The same fans who moaned continuously about Bond, Sol and MM for either not speaking to the press or talking about Southampton etc.

Back