• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters
Phil brown did get us out of league 2 with passion, heart and desire...... He decent manager but needs time to build a winning team. I just hope Ron sticks with Brown even if results bit iffy this season and we slump to midtable finish.

Then again if results don't improve Brown might get fed up and walk.

I was concerned when he gave the "play with pride, for the shirt, for the fans" schtick so early on. To my mind it doesnt really leave you anywhere to go if there is no response.

Proven by his recent statement saying the same thing, not every personality type responds to this treatment, and if you do it every week its demoralizing.

For what its worth i quite like a manager that takes no ****, but it seems to me that PB may just be a bit too out of date with modern football and he is running out of gas and ideas so early in the season.

When PB was appointed i wasnt thrilled but expected to be in safe hands, nicking 1 nils and keeping clean sheets, not exciting by any means but safe.

I fear his old dog recruitment policy might just be his undoing. A far cry from tilly and brush constantly scouting the essex area for up n coming young talent.

I think he'll keep us up, but its gonna be a long season....

Phil brown did get us out of league 2 with passion, heart and desire...... He decent manager but needs time to build a winning team. I just hope Ron sticks with Brown even if results bit iffy this season and we slump to midtable finish.

He won't walk. If he doesn't succeed here it is his last job in football.

We are where we are, and in the short term I think PB is what we need for right now. It's our best chance to get back up in the EFL over the next 2 seasons, which I never thought was going to be easy when you look at the pedigree of some of the clubs who have been stuck here for a while. It seems almost impossible to bounce back at the first try. There's not many on here that would support, be patient.. and have the stomach for a young inexperienced manager that has done well at this level to build and develop us a stable, and successful team. MM was that type of candidate. He was quickly demonized and held accountable for all the poor decisions the club had made over the last 3 seasons and facing the drop we made him the "scape goat" You don't hire someone like him under the circumstances he inherited and then not give him enough time to change the culture and build something new. We should have hired someone with experience and one brief , "Keep us up". I doubt PB will stay longer than 2 seasons. After that , if we are in the same situation as now. Let's consider that type of coach again and plan for the long run.
I totally agree with that, Ron ****ed it up badly. We needed a PB type manager to stabilize last season, stay in the football league, then an up and coming manager to move us forward and stay for 2-3 seasons like MM.

My feeling, and I may be entirely wrong, is that the Chairman will take action sooner rather than later if PB does not start winning on a regular basis. I was struck by a comment he made recently in a Zoom meeting with the supporters when he said he was waiting for the team to start winning or words to that effect. The words had an edge to them. The Chairman will know, better than anyone, that Southend have just been turned over by a team - Halifax - that has a smaller budget but today, at least, demonstrated they were able to make much better use of the resources at their disposal.

My feeling, and I may be entirely wrong, is that the Chairman will take action sooner rather than later if PB does not start winning on a regular basis. I was struck by a comment he made recently in a Zoom meeting with the supporters when he said he was waiting for the team to start winning or words to that effect. The words had an edge to them. The Chairman will know, better than anyone, that Southend have just been turned over by a team - Halifax - that has a smaller budget but today, at least, demonstrated they were able to make much better use of the resources at their disposal.

I'd agree with that.
PB might consider himself fortunate that Ron wasn't there today to witness such a pitiful display.

Can't keep sacking managers..... I guess that's today's football! Fans panic if their team hasn't won in 3 games and the manager gets **** load of stick, either in the ground or social media! Which inturn puts pressure on the Chairman, which tends to lead the manager getting sacked. Today defeat is disappointing but it is still early, but if defeats continue and we find ourselves near or in the bottom 3 then there no option I guess other than to sack the manager with the hope of the new manager bounce. Personally I would take midtable finish and give Brown time to go again next season and push for promotion. I still feel this squad lacking in areas which needs strengthening.

Rather than the points tally the most matter is PB’s post match comments. I recall towards the end of his first spell he blamed his ‘seniors’ for a defeat and I remember thinking he was doomed then. 3 matches in this season and he was making the same comments again, and against another player that he hasn’t named but one that I am sure most could hazard a guess at. Hardly conducive to a harmonious team environment! I just don’t see the need for these comments- other than to deflect blame from himself. Most of these are players that he signed and he prepares the team. Yes there are other issues but this certainly isn’t helping!

Also Ron will have one eye on the fact that he unlike last season will be sharing the home games with 4 to 5 thousand of us schmucks could be very uncomfortable.

I find Phil Brown a likeable guy and thought the success he achieved in his first spell was taken for granted by too many fans. I think some wanted him to fail from day one of his first spell because of the shabby way Ron disposed of Paul Sturrock to bring PB in. Ironically, Ron had behaved equally shabbily towards Steve Tilson when he brought PS in.
I think Ron got his fingers badly burnt with the Moseley fiasco and thought he was playing safe by bringing back PB. It's too early to tell whether he has made another blunder but two things we can be confident of when PB does go:
1) some fans will not be happy with whoever the replacement is
2) some fans will be calling for PB's replacement to go after the first bad defeat.

Last edited:
I really like phil brown. But you cant go around slagging the players off . After every poor match especially when you bought half the players (sorry got them on free transfers) This was never going to be easy. You cant go around saying we have the best chairman when we are at our lowest ever position. Some supporters may say worst ever chairman

I will say when tilly and brush came to southend how exciting was that football. I think we was favourites for relagation and won the league. I think we was 1/2 good players short of being a comfortable mid table championship side. How things have changed

Back