• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters
What has been the one constant in the past 4 years. We've changed players and managers none has worked. Until the buffonted one has gone nothing will change.
Ron knows by now he can always rely on fans to lay much of the blame at the feet of whoever happens to be the latest manager he appointed

Last edited:
I do agree that Ron Martin is our biggest problem, but like it or not, he’s not going anywhere until the big payday.
And that there lies the problems we just sit on our hands and make it happen like the toad in hot water to scared to jump

ffs we are not in Div1 anymore we are losing by 3 goals in the conference how many more leagues do you want to go down before you say … ok now he had to go ?
Could you imagine the good will of the town if this **** left and walked away ? We are already as good as dead so what would it Matter ? Brighton and Blackpool fans would turn in their graves watching Southend fans smolder along letting their chairmen’s destroy everything makes me genuinely sick

I think both of them have just presumed that we will walk this league,just took it for granted and I think most of the players think it as well
Should have appointed someone who knows the lower leagues,he’ll of a gamble .seem to remember when orient were at this level they struggled for months I think at one stage they were in the bottom 6 .
It’could get even worse before it gets any better most of us thought lower mid table at best and it’s looking that way ,give it 15 or so games and see where we are then worry

I think both of them have just presumed that we will walk this league,just took it for granted and I think most of the players think it as well
Should have appointed someone who knows the lower leagues,he’ll of a gamble .seem to remember when orient were at this level they struggled for months I think at one stage they were in the bottom 6 .
It’could get even worse before it gets any better most of us thought lower mid table at best and it’s looking that way ,give it 15 or so games and see where we are then worry
Let's look on the bright side, we need to lose another 9 successive games to have as bad a start as we did last year.

I don't like Brown, I think that's clear. But I wouldn't even be thinking about sacking him yet. You need to back your managers and give them a chance. Brown was in the relatively luxurious position this summer of being able to make signings and this is a new team. The system doesn't seem to be working and that's in my opinion more due to a lack of pace and balance (only two left footers in the side in Dalby and Ralph) than the actual formation itself.

Brown is correct, formations don't win or lose you football matches, it is the interaction between the players on the pitch. Does Murphy need a couple more games to really get in tune with Jack Bridge, who lets be honest is our creative outlet? The balance in the midfield doesn't seem quite right and needs a tweak or two. This stuff will all be work in progress at the moment. I think we seem to miss Ogogo and the energy he brings to the centre of the park.

For me though the problem is a familiar one and a missed opportunity - we sign too many older players with injury histories. We've been doing that for years and years. It even goes back to the last time PB was here. Brown is not solely responsible for recruitment but when you see players like Josh Rees, who is good for 10 goals a season from midfield head to Boreham Wood from Aldershot seemingly without a cursory glance from his local club, you do wonder.

Already we have seen Ogogo, Arnold, Coulson and Dunne miss matches through niggly injuries and how long will it be before Murphy, Ralph, Demetriou or White go the same way?

I asked Phil Brown on the last liaison call what he thought about the age balance of the squad, and while he seems to agree with concerns around this (and I hate to come across all Barry C here) but it doesn't seem to have really registered.

I find his hostility to Akinola, ANG and Ferguson (whom he seems to be continually slagging off despite his presence in the side which must do the world for his confidence) to be petty - the fact they were signed by his predecessor may not be the only reason for his immediate decision that he wanted them out, but it is almost certainly a factor.

Maybe today was a good thing in a way, a wake-up call. There has been good and bad so far, and we're still finding things out about this league. We were up in arms about the Wealdstone display, but it seems we're not the only ones to have found them tough going so far. Today was clearly the worst result of the season but it was bound to come at some point. Last Saturday would have been hailed as absolutely fantastic if we could just have held on or taken one of our late chances.

History tells us that teams who are relegated into this division take time to adapt. Today does not mean we'll be struggling all season any more than King's Lynn meant we would be flying high at the top. The reality is almost certainly going to be somewhere in between. The Brown issue will go on. I don't like the guy, but it really is high time we gave someone, particularly someone we have backed financially (Molesley and Campbell never had this luxury), time to get things right.

Yes, basically. Many other fans have warned us what this league was like and that we were in for a few shocks. It’ll take time to adjust. I believe Phil will figure this out. I’m not saying I’ll be happy with mid table but I think we need to accept we’ll be mid table and we will lose games. I very much doubt we’ll go back up. History tells us it’s unlikely.

Yes we’re short in a few key areas but I’d expect that to be addressed and a few loans to come in. I do think that some just don’t like PB and were against his return from day 1. That’s fair enough but at least give him a bit of time. Not all these managers can be total dog****. We need at some point to have faith and keep our nerve.

Yes, basically. Many other fans have warned us what this league was like and that we were in for a few shocks. It’ll take time to adjust. I believe Phil will figure this out. I’m not saying I’ll be happy with mid table but I think we need to accept we’ll be mid table and we will lose games. I very much doubt we’ll go back up. History tells us it’s unlikely.

Yes we’re short in a few key areas but I’d expect that to be addressed and a few loans to come in. I do think that some just don’t like PB and were against his return from day 1. That’s fair enough but at least give him a bit of time. Not all these managers can be total dog****. We need at some point to have faith and keep our nerve.
I'm one of those who didn't want Brown back, but he's the man in charge and I accept it. He, like anyone else would, needs time. I hope I am proved wrong in not wanting him back.

Like Mark Molesley?

He won't walk. If he doesn't succeed here it is his last job in football.
That's probably true. Iv listened to Brown post match interview, you got to love his Honesty (maybe bit to honest) but as fan quite refreshing to here, instead of the usual rubbish what managers say "trust the process"

Let's hope for win on Tuesday night..... give the fans bit of lift and Brown for that matter.

He’s the best this utter joke of a club is going to get because under Ron Martin we simply cannot attract anyone worth their salt.

Nothing will change until he finally sells up whenever that is so let’s stop blaming the managers and concentrate on the real problem which is RM and the shocking way he’s running out club.

He reminds of of Robert Mugabe, a senile old nut case who is so far gone he can’t see the chaos he’s causing.

The line he came out with during the recent Q and A said it all which was “I’ll be open to investors who want to come in and work him me”. Who in their right mind would work with this man????.

He doesn't help himself with his post-match comments. Hanging the players out to dry after every defeat and saying he wants to get rid of certain players isn't going to help. What other manager would do that? Yes it's honest but that kind of old-fashioned approach doesn't work these days.

However, it's far too early in the season to be talking about this. As the above poster says, he's the best we can get right now. He's made some good signings and the team needs time to gel.

Reactions: GBJ
To be honest I wouldn’t have faith in Klopp, Pep or Tuchel to get this lot playing good football and challenging at the top. The squad as a whole just isn’t competitive enough or deep enough in my opinion. A few decent signings have been made, but nowhere near enough. The problems upstairs won’t just go away overnight and I’m not sure the mentality is what it needs to be either. If Ron wants to get out of this division quickly, then he needs to find the funds to give us a fighting chance to do so. Worrying that we are apparently over budget already having assembled a pretty average side let’s be honest. More investment needed sharpish or we will be challenging for the mid-table spots at best. With 3,200 season card holders and attendances of 5500-6000+ which is way above the clubs forecasts, there should be further ability to strengthen, which Ron also confirmed. So let’s see it then Ron, before we fall too far behind the top 7. It’s also clear that Sim, ANG and others need to be moved on ASAP if we are to have a greater ability to bring bodies in. Hopefully that can be resolved sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
He doesn't help himself with his post-match comments. Hanging the players out to dry after every defeat and saying he wants to get rid of certain players isn't going to help. What other manager would do that? Yes it's honest but that kind of old-fashioned approach doesn't work these days.

However, it's far too early in the season to be talking about this. As the above poster says, he's the best we can get right now. He's made some good signings and the team needs time to gel.
But with performances like that people have to be called out, better than MM banging on about projects and the players just thinking they can repeat the same rubbish the week after because they’re being guarded all the time.

chaps its going to take a few years to get a decent team together and adapt to sunday league footie... it will be up and down this year... some of these teams would hold their own in league 2.. we got relegated frok their so we cant match that at present... phil needs a couple years to get it right! give it time....
It's one bad loss! We win tuesday and this result won't matter! We go again

It's ll very well PB berating the players after the game but it is HIS job to get the best out of them and any system he decides to use. That isn't happening so far this season and we are in a lower league with what looks like exactly the same problems we have had for the past 3 seasons. He picks the team, he sees them in training all week, it is down to him to motivate the team and the players he signed.

Rightly or wrongly we are stuck with him as he is the man RM chose to sort this club out. Personally I just cannot see this happening with the squad we have and unless there is a major shake up we are in for yet another dire season.

I would love to be proved wrong of course and it is early days but there is that horrible gut feeling hanging about with a dark grey cloud in the background. Faith can wait for now.

Last edited:
History tells us that teams who are relegated into this division take time to adapt. Today does not mean we'll be struggling all season any more than King's Lynn meant we would be flying high at the top. The reality is almost certainly going to be somewhere in between. The Brown issue will go on. I don't like the guy, but it really is high time we gave someone, particularly someone we have backed financially (Molesley and Campbell never had this luxury), time to get things right.

The problem is that the squad he assembled will be worse next season when they are a year older and with more wear and tear and as our parachute payments drop we’ll have a lower budget to work with. His was a squad assembled to peak this year (well 2015 but Ron doesn’t have a time machine) and his performance as manager needs to be judged on that. Had we been full of signings like Dalby and Bridge instead of Dunne, Murphy, Coulson, Atkinson, Arnold, Ogogo (and Dennis and Kargbo who won’t be here next year) I’d be all for saying they need a year and it would be a different conversation.

That's probably true. Iv listened to Brown post match interview, you got to love his Honesty (maybe bit to honest) but as fan quite refreshing to here, instead of the usual rubbish what managers say "trust the process"

Let's hope for win on Tuesday night..... give the fans bit of lift and Brown for that matter.

It’s not honesty. He says what he thinks fans want to hear. It’s like trusting a second hand car salesman.

We win Tuesday and it is w2 d2 l2 which is pretty much what I expected. Obviously though we haven’t yet won that game so we will have to wait and see.

First and foremost, this season has got be about avoiding another catastrophe.

To be fair to Ron he had some business to attend to in London today, however he will be making the long trip down to Torquay next Saturday.

And his excuse for not attending the other games this season?

Will he be taking his 3 page booklet of the new stadium to show off which is well known for comedy value by other club owners?

Back