• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters
As much as it churns my stomach to think it let alone write it the club is in a precarious position from top to bottom, and the very first thing that needs to go is Martin, this situation has all the hallmarks of what happened at Brighton in 1996, their club was basically purchased to sell to a property developer for peanuts by a group of unscrupulous businessmen who lined their pockets without a care in the world for the club.

Martin must be replaced by someone with the equity and the best intentions for the club asap, I honestly believe Martin is lining up the sale of the club to whoever wants it with no regard for what they want it for.

Martin has absolutely no intention of overseeing one single layed brick in a new stadium, to me that much is clear, if I'm wrong I'll willingly apologise in person, but that's not likely to happen.

Finding the right person to turn this club around won't be easy but it's a absolute must that when it happens fans are consulted and the FA and FL make sure the new owners are fit for purpose and not just another property developer waiting to open another supermarket.

I suspect my thoughts will not be shared by many and that's perfectly understandable, but I can't shake the gut feeling as to what's really going on at Southend Utd.

Brown is the manager of a club on it's last legs as a football club, we could have Pep in charge and nothing would change at all, something is going to happen very soon that will determine the very existence of this club one way or the other, I fear the worst and hope for the best, what else is there to do ?

Do everything legally possible as supporters to make sure the club is in safe hands at all costs, because it isn't at all a fairytale that we could actually lose it from under our very noses.

On the question of 'faith' judging by his recent pronouncements Brown is very unhappy with the way his players are performing. This is now largely a ream built in his own image and if he feels like this about them it suggests he may be on the point of walking away. The more he slags them off in public it increases the prospect of a rift between manager and players which will only end in tears.

Don’t want to blow my trumpet, but back in the days of yore. I had a couple of trial games with the blues when Laurie Leslie was in charge of the seconds. First half wasn’t going too good, boy oh boy didn’t we know it at half time. The changing rooms were no place for snowflakes. The players of today are spoilt, I don’t believe Brown can’t be that bad at giving the players a roasting.
I believe some need to grow a backbone.

Yes, basically. Many other fans have warned us what this league was like and that we were in for a few shocks. It’ll take time to adjust. I believe Phil will figure this out. I’m not saying I’ll be happy with mid table but I think we need to accept we’ll be mid table and we will lose games. I very much doubt we’ll go back up. History tells us it’s unlikely.

Yes we’re short in a few key areas but I’d expect that to be addressed and a few loans to come in. I do think that some just don’t like PB and were against his return from day 1. That’s fair enough but at least give him a bit of time. Not all these managers can be total dog****. We need at some point to have faith and keep our nerve.
spot on

So ok, youve made me bite, the managers who have over seen our down fall from Div 1 ! In under 3 seasons

Powell
Bond
Waddock
Campbell
Molsesly
Brown

All managers of completely different design standard calibre age and experience, all completely ****ing dog **** all worked under RON MARTIN FFS wake up people wake up!!! what Happened to this SOS group? one demonstration and folded shamefull! Took blackpool years... How many further leagues lower do we need to go before we realise we are gone
u cant add brown to this list ? YET!

He’s the best this utter joke of a club is going to get because under Ron Martin we simply cannot attract anyone worth their salt.

Nothing will change until he finally sells up whenever that is so let’s stop blaming the managers and concentrate on the real problem which is RM and the shocking way he’s running out club.

He reminds of of Robert Mugabe, a senile old nut case who is so far gone he can’t see the chaos he’s causing.

The line he came out with during the recent Q and A said it all which was “I’ll be open to investors who want to come in and work him me”. Who in their right mind would work with this man????.
I tend to agree that PB is likely to be the best we can hope to have given the way the club has been run for a number of years now.

I played golf with a West Ham supporter yesterday (I know, I know….. I should be more careful about the company I keep). He happens to be a nice guy though and the subject of football arose during our round. The conversation went as follows:

Him: We’re away at Southampton today, hope we can get a win there. Are you interested in football?

Me: Yes, but I’ve no interest at all in the Prem, sorry.

Him: So, who do you support?

Me: Southend

Him: SOUTHEND! Blimey, who’s your therapist?

He then went on to tell me that he is a retired accountant and a few years back an organisation for who he was working had some land RM wanted to purchase. He said Ron led them a merry dance and messed them about so much they ended up walking away from him and eventually sold the land to someone else. His final comment was “sorry to say it mate but he came across as a very dodgy character and if that’s the way he runs the football club it’s no wonder you’re now non-league.”

I know this is nothing new, we hear this sort of thing all the time, but it was just a chance meeting and the memorable thing the guy had about our club was of Ron being ‘dodgy’. It begs the question as to whether this is how he is regarded in football circles and perhaps why we struggle to attract the personnel we need without having to pay a king’s ransom. If this is the case it will be a long hard road to any sort of recovery.

Last edited:
I tend to agree that PB is likely to be the best we can hope to have given the way the club has been run for a number of years now.

I played golf with a West Ham supporter yesterday (I know, I know….. I should be more careful about the company I keep). He happens to be a nice guy though and the subject of football arose during our round. The conversation went as follows:

Him: We’re away at Southampton today, hope we can get a win there. Are you interested in football?

Me: Yes, but I’ve no interest at all in the Prem, sorry.

Him: So, who do you support?

Me: Southend

Him: SOUTHEND! Bilmey, who’s your therapist?

He then went on to tell me that he is a retired accountant and a few years back an organisation for who he was working had some land RM wanted to purchase. He said Ron led them a merry dance and messed them about so much they ended up walking away from him and eventually sold the land to someone else. His final comment was “sorry to say it mate but he came across as a very dodgy character and if that’s the way he runs the football club it’s no wonder you’re now non-league.”

I know this is nothing new, we hear this sort of thing all the time, but it was just a chance meeting and the memorable thing the guy had about our club was of Ron being ‘dodgy’. It begs the question as to whether this is how he is regarded in football circles and perhaps why we struggle to attract the personnel we need without having to pay a king’s ransom. If this is the case it will be a long hard road to any sort of recovery.
That’s why I held my head in my hands when he told us he was open to someone coming in to work alongside him, and Invest their money into the club.

As much as it churns my stomach to think it let alone write it the club is in a precarious position from top to bottom, and the very first thing that needs to go is Martin, But he's not going to go, is he? It's his club! this situation has all the hallmarks of what happened at Brighton in 1996, their club was basically purchased to sell to a property developer for peanuts by a group of unscrupulous businessmen who lined their pockets without a care in the world for the club.

Martin must be replaced by someone No one has the authority to replace him' he's got to want to sell with the equity and the best intentions for the club asap, I honestly believe Martin is lining up the sale of the club to whoever wants it with no regard for what they want it for.

Martin has absolutely no intention of overseeing one single layed brick in a new stadium, So he's just spent millions keeping us afloat for years for fun? Of course he wants the new ground because then he can develop the old one! to me that much is clear, if I'm wrong I'll willingly apologise in person, but that's not likely to happen.

Finding the right person to turn this club around won't be easy Who is going to be looking? Ron certainly won't be! but it's a absolute must that when it happens fans are consulted and the FA and FL make sure the new owners are fit for purpose and not just another property developer waiting to open another supermarket.

I suspect my thoughts will not be shared by many and that's perfectly understandable, but I can't shake the gut feeling as to what's really going on at Southend Utd.

Brown is the manager of a club on it's last legs as a football club, we could have Pep in charge and nothing would change at all, something is going to happen very soon that will determine the very existence of this club one way or the other, I fear the worst and hope for the best, what else is there to do ?

Do everything legally possible as supporters to make sure the club is in safe hands at all costs, because it isn't at all a fairytale that we could actually lose it from under our very noses. Why? How can we lose it?
Some points raised in bold... it's not a question of you being willing to apologise if you're wrong, I just can't quite fathom how you think the last 25 of years have panned out. You do know it's his club and can't be sold without his permission?

Seems like he is now taking aim at Matt Dennis !

"He’s only a boy and he doesn’t understand what football’s all about.
I’m not blaming him for anything today but he tweaked his hamstring.

He had been complaining all week about not being 100 per cent but he went out there because he wants to.

We’ve got issues with young, old and indifferent."

So Mr Brown, you were fully aware that he has had issues all week and yet you still pick him - someone buy that man a mirror as it looks like you also need to take a long look at yourself before throwing out such juvenile and unhelpful comments!!!!

Last edited:
Brown teams are workmen like with little chances and expect teams to make errors for goals to be scored. He struggles to develop players and needs players with that ability for his formation.

He is not the manager we need and we will flip flop between looking good or terrible until he gets all the already developed players to play the role he needs.

Seems like he is now taking aim at Matt Dennis !

"He’s only a boy and he doesn’t understand what football’s all about.
I’m not blaming him for anything today but he tweaked his hamstring.

He had been complaining all week about not being 100 per cent but he went out there because he wants to.

We’ve got issues with young, old and indifferent."

So Mr Brown, you were fully aware that he has had issues all week and yet you still pick him - someone buy that man a mirror as it looks like you also need to take a long look at yourself before throwing out such juvenile and unhelpful comments!!!!
I really think it is highly unprofessional for PB to keep publicly slating the players rather than accept the responsibility he has for picking the team that he sends out.

I am also surprised that the Chairman allows his manager to behave in this way.

Yes it's a results business. And in the main most fans are patient.

But after 3 successive seasons of torture, is it any wonder that fans expect a lot more. We have dropped 2 divisions and are one of the biggest clubs in the league.

I don't thinks it's wrong to expect us to be in the play off mix at the first time of asking.

The issue is our reputation as a football club is quite frankly lower than ever. We are seen by all as shambles. On and off the pitch. This means we cannot sign players ahead of any of our rivals and often have to offer far bigger wages than a player deserves in order to sign a player that was probably way down on our list.

Even Pep gaudiola couldn't do anything here.

PB is only part of a much much bigger problem.

We need new ownership and we need stability in all areas to rebuild our reputation.

Sadly this won't happen for a very long time.

God knows what happens if fossetts finally gets turned down. Ron and the club would undoubtedly fold.

What are you lot thinking we should achieve this season?

For me, mid-table finish and security off the field is what we NEED.

What we WANT is a completely different thing.

Next year is when we should be pushing for promotion.

What are you lot thinking we should achieve this season?

For me, mid-table finish and security off the field is what we NEED.

What we WANT is a completely different thing.

Next year is when we should be pushing for promotion.

That was my thinking before the season started. It hasn't changed. Mid-table and no relegation fears will be good enough, BUT we must gain promotion next season or face many years at this level.

I really think it is highly unprofessional for PB to keep publicly slating the players rather than accept the responsibility he has for picking the team that he sends out.

I am also surprised that the Chairman allows his manager to behave in this way.
The chairman may prefer a controversial manager to deflect attention away from him.

That was my thinking before the season started. It hasn't changed. Mid-table and no relegation fears will be good enough, BUT we must gain promotion next season or face many years at this level.

I understand that but this year we actually have a big advantage. We get an EFL parachute payment.

This should have given us a springboard to build from.

I understand that but this year we actually have a big advantage. We get an EFL parachute payment.

This should have given us a springboard to build from.
absolutely this, I dread to think what next year and the year after will look like ****ing shambles from the program selling to the ****ing underwhelming aged squad

Back