• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you Faith In Phil Brown

Have you faith in Phil Brown

• Total voters
We need guys like Paul Clark , Joe Jaques or Dave Martin in the changing room to kick some arse's .

I didn't really have a problem with PB coming back. He was a decent manager first time around. But, he seems different this time. Like he has lost his confidence. I don't think the recruitment has been terrible but calling out players in public after 3 games, bemoaning the character of the team. He's not wrong but you keep this stuff in house, especially at the start of the season. The whole thing looks in danger of imploding within the first 10 games. PB needs to be calming things down and getting everyone to focus.

I didn't really have a problem with PB coming back. He was a decent manager first time around. But, he seems different this time. Like he has lost his confidence. I don't think the recruitment has been terrible but calling out players in public after 3 games, bemoaning the character of the team. He's not wrong but you keep this stuff in house, especially at the start of the season. The whole thing looks in danger of imploding within the first 10 games. PB needs to be calming things down and getting everyone to focus.
Agree as soon as he came out and slagged the players off the way he did I was thinking game over.

Don’t want to blow my trumpet, but back in the days of yore. I had a couple of trial games with the blues when Laurie Leslie was in charge of the seconds. First half wasn’t going too good, boy oh boy didn’t we know it at half time. The changing rooms were no place for snowflakes. The players of today are spoilt, I don’t believe Brown can’t be that bad at giving the players a roasting.
I believe some need to grow a backbone.
The point you make so well is that this was done in the changing rooms. I’m not a Brown hater and I strongly believe the main issues are higher up but Brown’s public attacks on his players over the last couple of weeks serve no purpose beyond an attempt to make him look better and his players look worse. Absolutely appalling.

The point you make so well is that this was done in the changing rooms. I’m not a Brown hater and I strongly believe the main issues are higher up but Brown’s public attacks on his players over the last couple of weeks serve no purpose beyond an attempt to make him look better and his players look worse. Absolutely appalling.
And how do you come back from that is the question. To me he has lost whatever dressing room he had with the type of comments we have seen in just 6 games this season. The players are not good enough I think we can agree on that so berating them in public hardly instills any confidence they may of had.

BTW,I haven't a clue how he or the team in general turn this around.

I'm not a huge PB fan. However, the question we should be asking is:

"Do we have faith in the owner/Chairman to give the necessary platform and tools to any manager to get the club firing again?"

The answer should be a resounding no.

It seems exactly the same to me as the end of his reign last time.

He hasn’t changed he’s still the same bloke who conducted a half-time team talk on the pitch at Hull to show the fans he was doing something, anything and that it wasn’t his fault.
The main difference (other than not inheriting a side that would have been promoted the season before but for the Aldershot floodlights and that in an injury hit season still reached Wembley) is the fans have now seen his shtick before and know that throwing players under the bus doesn’t get better results and so there’s less patience towards it. There’s less waiting to sit around and see how this plays out as we’ve seen how it plays out.

But whilst he is an impediment to this club moving forward and was never a suitable candidate to rebuild we know the bigger issue is Martin’s catastrophic handling of the club.

It seems exactly the same to me as the end of his reign last time.

He hasn’t changed he’s still the same bloke who conducted a half-time team talk on the pitch at Hull to show the fans he was doing something, anything and that it wasn’t his fault.
The main difference (other than not inheriting a side that would have been promoted the season before but for the Aldershot floodlights and that in an injury hit season still reached Wembley) is the fans have now seen his shtick before and know that throwing players under the bus doesn’t get better results and so there’s less patience towards it. There’s less waiting to sit around and see how this plays out as we’ve seen how it plays out.

But whilst he is an impediment to this club moving forward and was never a suitable candidate to rebuild we know the bigger issue is Martin’s catastrophic handling of the club.
Genuine question. Do you honestly think any other manager would've enabled the club to move forward any faster? Do you think that Brown is responsible on his own for the quality of players we've been able to attract (some of whom aren't bad at all, considering). According to most - including Ron - Powell was wrong, Bond was wrong, Waddock was wrong, Campbell was wrong, Molesley was wrong, now Brown is wrong? That can't be right can it? You can't say on the one hand that the club is a total car crash yet lambast Brown on the other for not producing instant results. You don't like the fella, that's obvious but just as Molesley wasn't solely to blame last season, Brown hasn't had anywhere near enough time yet. You allude to that yourself with the last sentence.

"Powell was wrong, Bond was wrong, Waddock was wrong, Campbell was wrong, Molesley was wrong"

None of these are currently employed as Managers so yes they were all wrong - the wrong appointments by an incompetent owner

"Powell was wrong, Bond was wrong, Waddock was wrong, Campbell was wrong, Molesley was wrong"

None of these are currently employed as Managers so yes they were all wrong - the wrong appointments by an incompetent owner
Whilst none of those have exactly covered themselves in glory, I would also add at which point do we conclude that the owner has also not exactly given these managers the tools and environment to do their job properly?

Can our last half dozen managers all really be that bad at their job?

Reactions: Jai
And how do you come back from that is the question. To me he has lost whatever dressing room he had with the type of comments we have seen in just 6 games this season. The players are not good enough I think we can agree on that so berating them in public hardly instills any confidence they may of had.

BTW,I haven't a clue how he or the team in general turn this around.

Totally agree with this; there's a line between MM's policy of an arm around a player's shoulder (therein perhaps showing a manager's weakness ?) and PB's publicly calling out of an individual (or more) has shown not to work. The former carry on taking the mick whilst the latter dig deeper and produce even less. As Cricko's said, no idea what the answer is but I feel it should come from the top - God help us.

I voted more time but it was a close call and personally and if he can not get his new signings and hopefully a couple more that need to be made soon maybe we should roll the dice again surely we must get it right eventually.

Also I was not impressed the way he stood in front of the East stand at the final whistle rather than walk on to the pitch towards the West. He tells he players they need to man up but that should apply to him as well.

Genuine question. Do you honestly think any other manager would've enabled the club to move forward any faster? Do you think that Brown is responsible on his own for the quality of players we've been able to attract (some of whom aren't bad at all, considering). According to most - including Ron - Powell was wrong, Bond was wrong, Waddock was wrong, Campbell was wrong, Molesley was wrong, now Brown is wrong? That can't be right can it? You can't say on the one hand that the club is a total car crash yet lambast Brown on the other for not producing instant results. You don't like the fella, that's obvious but just as Molesley wasn't solely to blame last season, Brown hasn't had anywhere near enough time yet. You allude to that yourself with the last sentence.
Yes I honestly believe other managers would enable the club to move forward faster.
For the club to move forward foundations need to be laid. Brown is the foolish manager who builds his on sand. Building on firmer ground is what will enable this club to move forward faster.

The issue isnt the quality of player signed but the mix of players. Brown has assembled a squad which is woefully unbalanced. He’s basically signed the same player 4 times with Ogogo, Demetriou, Dunne and Atkinson - all ageing pros lacking creativity, whose legs are gone/going. Pair one of those with a younger more energetic, more attacking player and they will look a lot better. Why didn’t he have a centre-mid on the bench last night? Phillips, Ferguson, Gard, Benton etc

At centre-half he’s assembled the three slowest centre-halves known to man in Coulson, White and Hobson. I’ll give him some credit for realising it and playing Ralph at centre-half first 5 games but why didn’t he prioritise signing a centre-half with some pace instead?

This isn’t hindsight as it was all entirely predictable and pointed out by several posters at the time.

I don’t subscribe to the theory that all of those managers listed should have been sacked. I’d have kept those with a reasonable long term plan. I don’t see Brown as having a long term plan. I’m prepared to be patient with a manager with a long term plan but if a manager is a short term merchant than they need to be judged in the short term.

Yes, basically. Many other fans have warned us what this league was like and that we were in for a few shocks. It’ll take time to adjust. I believe Phil will figure this out. I’m not saying I’ll be happy with mid table but I think we need to accept we’ll be mid table and we will lose games. I very much doubt we’ll go back up. History tells us it’s unlikely.

Yes we’re short in a few key areas but I’d expect that to be addressed and a few loans to come in. I do think that some just don’t like PB and were against his return from day 1. That’s fair enough but at least give him a bit of time. Not all these managers can be total dog****. We need at some point to have faith and keep our nerve.

That's what I thought last season....when is this nightmare going to end

What we need is stability. 80% plus wanted Brown, then after 6 games we don't? Because the league has proved every bit as tough as many at the same time predicted? We have tried changing the manager enough by now I think to know it doesn't solve our underlying challenges. We've tried the "top coach" manager, the up and coming "project manager", the "celebrity manager", "the fans favourite" manager (CP)..... and now will assume there is someone out there different, who will want to come to us and somehow make it all better (there, there et al..)

I'm afraid as some have said (and my optimism got in the way) we need to buckle down and sort it out, rebuild, and getting out this league first attempt won't be easy. Many of those saying Brown out will be the same people who would have been sharing exactly this, and about how many years most teams take to turn it around and get back to the EFL..

Last edited:
Why on earth would you that the day after a game. The man is nuts, that isn't team bonding its punishment.
It's punishment and goes against most sports science advice on appropriate recovery time less than 16 hours after a game finished.

Designed to demonstrate Phil is in charge whilst further alienating current squad and, in all probability, serving as a nice indicator of what might await them for future signings.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of those players appeared in the physio's room before the end of the week

Back