• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you now feel affinity with the team

• Yes

Votes: 97 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davewebbsbrain

Webby⭐
After reading something kentblues posted earlier, it reminded me of a lot of peoples opinions last season saying it didn't feel like their team any more.

I have always supported and loved the Blues no matter what, but after the removal of Tilly etc, many didn't feel any affinity with the team.

What are peoples opinions now?

Personally I felt very detached, however I feel a whole lot closer to the team now and congratulate Sturrock for that.

My feelings for Ron haven't changed one iota.

No I will always support the team but there is still no "feel good" for me.

I think following some of them on twitter has helped me "bond" with them, plus the mad frenchman is a great ambassador - so a yes from me.

Was very difficult last season, but my answer now is yes, totally. It helps having a stable squad with just a few players coming and going rather than 20

Was only thinking this sitting in the stands Saturday. All of a sudden it didnt feel like 11 journey men thrown together, it feels like 'my Southend' again.

Helps having players in their second year with us, cult players like Mohsni and players on top form like Phillips, Hall etc.

Also helps that they genuinely seem to care too. I'm not going to be too deluded to think they have all fallen in love with Southend, but many of them genuinely do seem to care for the fans and also I think a lot of that is also a strong bond with Sturrock.

So yea, everything feels much more settled now :)

i have a bond with the shirt/club/history the 11 men who run out onto the pitch have and always will get my full support, even last season the effort and commitment were spot on imo, i ask for nothing more. Results are irrelevant to me, enjoy the good times because as our history shows we dont have that many.

This season, it feels very much like the two promotion seasons under Tilly and Brush. A settled squad of our players who seem to want to succeed for the Club.

The players seem to care and seem to enjoy playing for our club. You really feel an affinity (well I do) with this squad and the way the players celebrate and applaud the fans after games, you feel it from them too. The fans are travelling in good numbers and it is a good feel factor around the club.

Barker is so under-rated and a cracking leader, we have the local boy in Harris, we have a genuine match winner in Hall, then the likes of Timlin, Phillips, Dicko, Granty, Mohsni are not spectacular but they are decent and give there all and that is more than enough for me. Much like the days of Wilson, Bradbury, Maher, Bently, Sodje, Prior etc

Promotion, Wembley Final and a day out at Anfield...well I can dream cant I :winking:

Up the Blues

I found it difficult for the first 6 weeks or so of last season but not after that (and when you have a player like Mohsni who is the most passionate and mad player I've ever seen at the Hall in 23 years it's difficult not to warm to the squad Sturrock built!).

I think it is much better now, but a good point to raise.

What really helps irrespective of how well we do is appreciation of the crowd by the players, and most now regularly seem to applaud us after the match home or away. And although it may seem 'corny' I quite like the way they now all huddle together before kick off, I think it just shows that they are on a mission together for the club.

The one player I am still not quite 'warmed to' (not sure that's the right phrase) is Morris. Prior to his injury he was certainly on good form, and amongst the many good keepers we have had over the years he certainly seems to be as good as most now, but he does seem to be a bit surly and lacking in 'crowd charisma'. Sure it is critical that he is 100% focused, but a little more effort in our direction might not go amiss when he comes back.

Surprised we're still discussing this tbh. I think the boys would have to win the champions league before some folk would 'come round.'

I honestly can't say I lost affinity with the team. Yes it was a strange summer in 2010 but it was never the fault of the players coming in (or indeed those that left after all that had gone on) and it took a while to get to know the new players.
Personally I think most people simply transfered their feelings about Ron, Tilly & Sturrock situations onto the team, which is understandable.

After more than 50 years of support through thick and thin I was sorely tested by last season but now it`s just like the old Southend. Long may it continue and promotion would be the icing on the cake.

I think the answer for me is no.

I was brought up on SUFC being a bunch of losers: this lot are showing a distinct lack of appreciation of this club's century-plus long tradition.

Fans spend their hard earned money to turn up each week and boo and the current team are denying fans the opportunity to do so.

I can't be the only one sick and tired of hearing stories about how they are always turning up to charity events for sick kids and the like. Why can't they mingle with their adoring fans at 2am in Lucy Road like heroes of the calibre of Alan McCormack were only too keen to do? The "I was in TOTS last night and bumped into X ****ed off his face" threads were a SZ staple now, much like Jemal Johnson, seemingly consigned to the dustbin of history.

Sort it out Sturrock!

Short answer is 'no'.

Long answer is probably too long to go into detail, but I suppose than when you feel alienated from the club itself, it's more difficult to have a real affinity for players on the pitch.

Ask me about the youth sides, though, and it's a different answer.

Can't really answer because I never stopped thinking that we were Southend, I much prefer the current team to the rubbish I watched in our final league one season, I don't care if it's ron's fault or not it's hard to feel like watching Southend if the players aren't bothered themselves

Back