• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

HDMI cables and other electrical leads - I've got the arseache

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
I've had been recently commissioned by the Goddess to move our television in the lounge to a more central position on a wall a fair bit further away from the existing cable entry points. This has required longer Fig 8 power cables, longer internet patch cables and most importantly for me, a longer HDMI cable for the laptop into the TV (I could use wireless but hard wiring gives a better connection). I managed to get a really good deal on the patch cables (flat ones) and power cables off from the web but HDMI cables needed a lot of love and money spent on them I have always thought, a bit like scart cables when they were needed. I have always used Chord cables which ain't cheap but a 5 metre Chord was going to cost nearly £90 quid (too much). I hunted around and found a cheaper alternative.

Out of boredom (not having to vote for outstanding Branding anymore) I looked around for HDMI cable reviews and found this:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-...-cables-make-no-difference-the-absolute-proof

So I could have bought a Tesco's own cable and it would have been just as good, terrific!!!! No doubt most of you techs out there will already know all this, but if you don't then check out this review site before you buy.

You can't go wrong with AmazonBasics HDMI cables (just used hundreds of them at work on a national IT upgrade), you can get a 25ft cable for less than a tenner.

I've had been recently commissioned by the Goddess to move our television in the lounge to a more central position on a wall a fair bit further away from the existing cable entry points. This has required longer Fig 8 power cables, longer internet patch cables and most importantly for me, a longer HDMI cable for the laptop into the TV (I could use wireless but hard wiring gives a better connection). I managed to get a really good deal on the patch cables (flat ones) and power cables off from the web but HDMI cables needed a lot of love and money spent on them I have always thought, a bit like scart cables when they were needed. I have always used Chord cables which ain't cheap but a 5 metre Chord was going to cost nearly £90 quid (too much). I hunted around and found a cheaper alternative.

Out of boredom (not having to vote for outstanding Branding anymore) I looked around for HDMI cable reviews and found this:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-...-cables-make-no-difference-the-absolute-proof

So I could have bought a Tesco's own cable and it would have been just as good, terrific!!!! No doubt most of you techs out there will already know all this, but if you don't then check out this review site before you buy.

When I needed HDMI cables I did a lot of research, and came to the same conclusion. But, about a year later our TV kept cutting out for about 1/100th of a second at a time, and then coming back. I thought I had a problem with the satellite, and called an engineer who said it is most likely the cable. "Impossible!" I thought given that the cable never moves, so I changed the cable, and hey presto. Two years on it's still working fine. The cable I now have is not a very expensive one, it's about middle of the road. Therefore I wouldn't go for the very cheap ones just in case.

When I needed HDMI cables I did a lot of research, and came to the same conclusion. But, about a year later our TV kept cutting out for about 1/100th of a second at a time, and then coming back. I thought I had a problem with the satellite, and called an engineer who said it is most likely the cable. "Impossible!" I thought given that the cable never moves, so I changed the cable, and hey presto. Two years on it's still working fine. The cable I now have is not a very expensive one, it's about middle of the road. Therefore I wouldn't go for the very cheap ones just in case.

Yeah, HDMI cables are a funny one - I bought a really good one for my bluray and the quality and reliability is incredible.

Back