• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I suppose its just odd that after 100 plus years this has only just come up. Of course the head hitting something is not good and parents should of course be able to make informed choices.

We only have the medical technology (imaging, neurological tests etc) to start to even begin to unravel the mystery of brain injuries, especially over a long period of time.

No one is saying there's definitive evidence, and no one is suggesting an outright ban, however the evidence for MTBI/Concussion in football is mounting just as it has in more physical sports like american football and wrestling, and also in other occupations like the armed forces.

Football needs to be aware and open minded about this because if they ignore it then if/when more definitive evidence comes along then it could be too late. I still think that banning dropped goal kicks for under 16s would be a good tactic, firstly due to the potential risks and secondly because it gets the ball in play more, and makes playing out from the back completely normal.

Featured on Good Morning Britain this morning with Geoff Astles daughters earlier.

They had a teacher who made the point that there shouldnt be scaremongering before real research has happened and that Astle played in an era when balls were heavier especially when wet.

The daughters dismissed this and said there was no evidence at all to say balls were any heavier. Now I remember balls definitely being heavier even in the 70's, yet I was lighter so was it just relative.

Having a quick google and balls in the 66 world cup were certainly the same weight as they are now dry, but surely they were heavier wet?

Back