• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Headlamp refurbishment

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
The headlights on my old Astra are dim, the glass has fogged. Any idea what it'd cost to have them 'done'?

Condensation and oxidation are the main culprits. A lens restoration kit might help, no idea of cost though. Failing that, replacement units.

A lot of people recommend toothpaste. Have a look on YouTube there are plenty of detailing videos on how to restore them.

A lot of people recommend toothpaste. Have a look on YouTube there are plenty of detailing videos on how to restore them.

I used toothpaste on my Austin Montego headlights and all of the window winders broke.

Toothpaste is a very mild abrasive which is why it works on a multitude of things, including CDs and DVDs, especially ones for the PS4 that have been scratched to high heaven by the kids. It is also recommended that you use white toothpaste...

However, another mild abrasive you can use is T-Cut. I recently used T-Cut to polish a pair of plastic framed glasses and they've come up like new.

Having tried a few methods, I found this is the quickest and best. You need Mothers Mag& Aluminium polish. Can get on ebay under £9 free postage. An electric or cordless drill. A polishing pad fits on drill. Ebay or car accessory shops. Clear coat. The clear coat is not essential, but without it you have to do the headlights every few months, whereas the clear coat puts a seal on it for over a year and a half in my experience. Again, you can get on ebay.
E-Tech Restored headlight clear coat, £9.UK seller.

Last edited:
OK UPDATE! I thought T Cut or Brasso might be a tad abrasive so I tried (don't laugh) Morrisions Value Cream Cleaner. Ooh what a difference! Not quite "good as new" but not far from it. Cost - about 5p, one yellow duster, some water and effort! Bingo.

OK UPDATE! I thought T Cut or Brasso might be a tad abrasive so I tried (don't laugh) Morrisions Value Cream Cleaner. Ooh what a difference! Not quite "good as new" but not far from it. Cost - about 5p, one yellow duster, some water and effort! Bingo.

Do the Mothers Mags I suggested, and you'll get it as good as new.

Back