• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Heard a horrible rumor

DTS

The Business
Just had a text from a mate to tell me my favourtie player and body double Steven Clark has been released by the club. Please tell me it is not so......I LOVE YOU CLARKY...!!!

Dave the Shrimper

It's true, as you've probably seen elsewhere on the board.

The LDV tie vs. QPR this season, what else has Clark done this season?

Matt

fraid so DTS, but lets be honest he hasnt been able to get into the first team this season!

No real surprise. I was very surprised he was offered a one-year contract last summer; I don't think he could offer anything to the side.

WS

Can many people really say they are surprised that Clarke has been released? Apart from the QPR game he has done nothing all season and failed to break into the team when given chances. He hasnt really progressed during his time at Roots Hall and i think a move on is the best for all. Wish him luck for the future though.

The only thing Steven Clark can offer is pace.

So could Dominic Iorfa, Neil Campbell and Jason Harris.

I rest my case.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 12 2004,23:41)]The only thing Steven Clark can offer is pace.
he used to take on defenders and had good ball control, final pass let him down and he could be greedy.
Shame, full of promise at first and I always thought he'd turn it around but he never and we can't afford to babysit promising players, we need fully fledged bitches.

A typical example of the type of animal we have had at the club over the past 6 years.

Plenty of promise and talk but has done f**k all to back it up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ May 13 2004,09:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 12 2004,23:41)]The only thing Steven Clark can offer is pace.
he used to take on defenders and had good ball control, final pass let him down and he could be greedy.
Shame, full of promise at first and I always thought he'd turn it around but he never and we can't afford to babysit promising players, we need fully fledged bitches.
We do need to nurture (or babysit) promising players (Kightly, McSeeney)... that's what a youth policy is all about. The problem with Clark is that he was a promising player... but there comes a moment of truth where that potential must be realised, and he failed that test on more than one occassion.

Question: Summarize the total impact Stephen Clark made at Southend in the last two years.

Answer: He scored a good goal against QPR in the LDV vans cup.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 13 2004,08:43)]We do need to nurture (or babysit) promising players (Kightly, McSeeney)... that's what a youth policy is all about.
Agreed, but they are our children, we can't have cuckoo fledglings when we should be getting finished articles?
rock.gif
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 13 2004,09:06)]Question: Summarize the total impact Stephen Clark made at Southend in the last two years.

he tore apart Hull City a couple of seasons back...
*twiddles thumbs awaiting another distant memory*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ May 13 2004,09:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 13 2004,09:06)]Question: Summarize the total impact Stephen Clark made at Southend in the last two years.

he tore apart Hull City a couple of seasons back...
*twiddles thumbs awaiting another distant memory*
I seem to remember Tony Richards tearing Halifax apart a few seasons ago. You can't just base things on selected matches!

A decent enough debut (?) against Plymouth as well, but we're really clutching at straws now.

He didn't do enough, he deserves to go. Bye.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ May 13 2004,09:28)]A decent enough debut (?) against Plymouth as well, but we're really clutching at straws now.
The only goal, and an MotM performance away at Lincoln a couple of seasons back...

rock.gif

This is all sounding suspiciously like Gordon Connelly's now-infamous 45 minutes against Brighton...

ghostface.gif

Matt

Clarky was never given the support he needed by so called supporters of Southend United. Clarky is and always will be a great player. Good Luck Clarky you will show them
smile.gif

I'm slightly disappointed to see Clarky go as well.

Of the current crop he was one of my favourite players following on in the tradition of unwitting entertainers such as Iorfa and Gridelet.
There is something amusing about a player who gets his head down and runs (run Forest, run!) and then realises he doesn't know what he is doing.

For too many people football is just about winning. That makes supporting Southend dull. You need a few entertainers to liven up those games in which the result has become a formality (be it a dull 0-0, another defeat, or even when you are cruising to victory) or another meaningless end of season match.

I remember once Clarky running the ball half the pitch only to find he'd outrun his support and lost possession. He then tried to win it back and proceeded to chase the ball like an eager puppy all the way over to the far touch-line and then all the way back past the half-way line into his own half. Few players have the sheer comedy genius to make such an event amusing, but Clarky could manage it. In another era he may have been a silent movie star.

As a side-note I thought he wasn't that bad a player. His pace meant he was always a potential threat, and he managed to turn in some of the most exhilarating performances at Roots Hall over the last few years. As already mentioned his debut v Plymouth was supposed to be quite something, all the reports suggested we'd uncovered a world-beater. However the best game I saw him play was about 2 years ago, the penultimate home game of the season v Exeter and therefore the day the season-ticket renewal details were published in the programme. Clarky tore Exeter to shreds and most have helped sell at least 500 season-tickets that day.

Cheers for the memories

[b said:

there seems to be an atmosphere, since you've been on here
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Support the Lads @ May 13 2004,10:14)]Clarky was never given the support he needed by so called supporters of Southend United. Clarky is and always will be a great player. Good Luck Clarky you will show them  
smile.gif
What drugs have you been taking?

How can you support a player who has played hardly any games and when he does play performs about one in ten?

I admit the fella did have some talent but rarely used it to be honest and for a club in financial difficulty like ourselves we could do without the likes of him.

Bring on more players like Bentley who will play with his heart on his sleeve and roll his sleeves up when the going gets tough, this is what we need to get out of this league.

Back