• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

HELP!!!!!

OK, I work in a small office and have recently had broadband installed.

I've opened internet explorer a lot today and generally surfed the net and all was fine, however, the last time I opened internet explorer a site which is not my standard default webpage opened and loads of popups also started appearing.

I've tried to change my home page in internet options buts its shaded out and cannot be opened. Have I inadvertently downloaded a virus? How do I get things back to normal?

I've downloaded the spybot stuff from the other thread but that doesn't seem to have helped much.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

down.gif

Download firefox, then you wont get any pop ups on the comp. That's what I did from the advice given to me in the other thread.

Not sure bout if you've downloaded a virus. Scan the computer with an anti virus programme, which should already be on the computer, and that'll let you know if you have anything or not.

smile.gif

Ta for that - firefox now installed.

Still can't open normal homepage through internet explorer though - help needed!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Jan. 31 2005,17:27)]Ta for that - firefox now installed.

Still can't open normal homepage through internet explorer though - help needed!!!!!!!
If its what I think it is, go to tools (I think) and then internet options. In there, you can change what your homepage is.

If it is what I think it is, Internet Explorer's being Internet Explorer. Firefox does all the same and more so best sticking with it instead I'd suggest.

(Also, you probably did visit a dodgy site
tounge.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Jan. 31 2005,17:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Jan. 31 2005,17:27)]Ta for that - firefox now installed.

If its what I think it is, go to tools (I think) and then internet options. In there, you can change what your homepage is.
Yeah I've looked there but the box is shaded out. Think I might have downloaded a Trojan Horse.

Can't be arsed to pay for the software to remove it though.

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Jan. 31 2005,17:36)]
[b said:
[b said:

Yeah I've looked there but the box is shaded out. Think I might have downloaded a Trojan Horse.

wow.gif
Have you tried downloading 'Stinger' from McAfee I think. It's freeware and gets rid of a lot of older viruses and other malicious programmes.

Stinger

That should be a good start. If it doesn't help, there's plenty better qualified people who visit this site...

[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

wow.gif
Ok, decisions yours. Dont fork out, and have your computer infected until you do, or buy it and you'll be able to use it when you need it.

If it is a trojan, more than likely, you'll f**k the computer up even more if you dont remove it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Jan. 31 2005,16:47)]OK, I work in a small office and have recently had broadband installed.

I've opened internet explorer a lot today and generally surfed the net and all was fine, however, the last time I opened internet explorer a site which is not my standard default webpage opened and loads of popups also started appearing.

I've tried to change my home page in internet options buts its shaded out and cannot be opened. Have I inadvertently downloaded a virus? How do I get things back to normal?

I've downloaded the spybot stuff from the other thread but that doesn't seem to have helped much.

down.gif
Do you use Windows XP?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Jan. 31 2005,18:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Jan. 31 2005,16:47)]OK, I work in a small office and have recently had broadband installed.

down.gif
Do you use Windows XP?
If you have XP use system restore just like i had to last week after OS's little jem sent the old trojan horse into town !

mad.gif

I've had pretty annoying problems using System Restore and would only recommend it as a last resort. Due to the differeing levels of sophistication (I expect), some programmes seem to get big issues with a past setting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 31 2005,19:43)]I've had pretty annoying problems using System Restore and would only recommend it as a last resort.  Due to the differeing levels of sophistication (I expect), some programmes seem to get big issues with a past setting.
It was pretty much the last resort. Adaware got rid of most of the popups but couldn't shift the last 3 for some reason.
I restored at about 11pm from the checkpoint taken at 6pm and touch wood all has been ok since.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Jan. 31 2005,17:46)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

wow.gif
Ok, decisions yours. Dont fork out, and have your computer infected until you do, or buy it and you'll be able to use it when you need it.

If it is a trojan, more than likely, you'll f**k the computer up even more if you dont remove it.
Cheers to all for the help especially WCS for this scathing attack on my tightness.

I forked out £19.95 this morning on Spywaredoctor and, indeed, some organisation had hi-jacked my computer.

Glad to say the situation now resolved and my companys computer system is as it should be but it certainly was an eye opener!

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Feb. 01 2005,11:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Feb. 01 2005,10:55)]was an eye opener!

ghostface.gif
Not compared to some of the sites i bet you had visited  
tounge.gif
Cheeky!

oops.gif

Definately a lesson learn't - thats all I'm saying!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Feb. 01 2005,10:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Jan. 31 2005,17:46)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

wow.gif

Cheers to all for the help especially WCS for this scathing attack on my tightness.

I forked out £19.95 this morning on Spywaredoctor and, indeed, some organisation had hi-jacked my computer.
Your welcome. I'm here to help.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

See it didnt cost that much, and now you can use the computer better now. I might get that product as well for my computer, just to be on the safe side.

Back