• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Right - Got home yesterday and found that myself and Mrs DtS have been invited to a wedding. The lucky couple are one of my best mates sisters and her hubby.

I know the couple quite well as my mate Mike has been one of my best mates since I was sixteen and we virtually lived at his house for the two years were all at this college. I also did the to-be married couples mortgage a few months ago and we all got on really well. I have know the bride to be since she was 12. I got a facebook message from her a few weeks ago asking for our address so I expected a evenning invite.

Anyway we got a day invite which amazed me as I was sure that we would get evenning only. The day itself is the same date as Hereford at home. As a footnote Mrs DtS and I have got our provisional guest list and this couple are not on it (Altough the brides Mum is).

Due to my new job which I start next week I gave got to do some saturdays and with a baby due in November I accept away games might prove hard for me but as a ST holder I plan to do all the homes (except Orient as got best mates wedding).

I dont really feel I can say to her that I cant come to the day because of Hereford at home and my mate will know that I will be lying and down at Roots Hall.

I need an plausable excuse why I can only make the evenning?

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

Surely you then have to blame the day time absence on your missus having a prior engagement, therefore you will be just going to the evening do with her. That way you can then go to Hereford without having to hide the fact...

Dave, it won't matter what excuse you use they will know exactly where you are mate. You have done their mortgage so no clawbacks, you are not inviting them to your wedding so I would blow them out completely and watch the mighty Shrimpers.

I watch southend end of, it is actually my favourite excuse.....for everything.....awwww sorry mate southend at home.....I cant come out mate orient away......you get the gist

Dave, as I am your biggest client at your new job please come and join me in my executive box at Roots Hall for the Hereford match where I am entertaining other business contacts which could lead to more business for your new firm. As your biggest client, let me tell you that our chairman will be there, he's a big Hereford fan and I told him all about you, so a dim view will be taken if you do not attend, in fact we may have to take our business eleswhere.

No pressure,

Look forward to seeing you,

Regards,

Prodigal Son

Ps - hope whichever decision you reach does not affect your probation period

Dave, as I am your biggest client at your new job please come and join me in my executive box at Roots Hall for the Hereford match where I am entertaining other business contacts which could lead to more business for your new firm. As your biggest client, let me tell you that our chairman will be there, he's a big Hereford fan and I told him all about you, so a dim view will be taken if you do not attend, in fact we may have to take our business eleswhere.

No pressure,

Look forward to seeing you,

Regards,

Prodigal Son

Ps - hope whichever decision you reach does not affect your probation period

Very good mate........Nice idea....

Dave.

It's hereford.

You know this bloke seriously well so why let him down over a match against hereford?

Jeez man, whats one match against a small club compared to your best mates wedding (who will only have one - whereas a match against hereford could happen again) where there is booze?

Seriously Dave. Think about it. Let your best mate down or watch the blues for an hour and a half? I know which one I would choose.

Dave.

It's hereford.

You know this bloke seriously well so why let him down over a match against hereford?

Jeez man, whats one match against a small club compared to your best mates wedding (who will only have one - whereas a match against hereford could happen again) where there is booze?

Seriously Dave. Think about it. Let your best mate down or watch the blues for an hour and a half? I know which one I would choose.

I can only assume that you havent read my thread as I am missing Orient at home for my best mates wedding. This is a good mates sister who I see once a year at best......

Sorry but some read coming from me for this basic reading error.

dave just mack it off. tell them the truth, i dont think they will mind

The Mrs has an appointment with an ultrasound machine that you can't rearrange and definitely won't miss?

Why make an excuse. You DO NOT get married in the football season, everybody knows that surely?? Its there fault, do mention your happy to make the evening do as long as theres a free bar

Right - Got home yesterday and found that myself and Mrs DtS have been invited to a wedding. The lucky couple are one of my best mates sisters and her hubby.

I know the couple quite well as my mate Mike has been one of my best mates since I was sixteen and we virtually lived at his house for the two years were all at this college. I also did the to-be married couples mortgage a few months ago and we all got on really well. I have know the bride to be since she was 12. I got a facebook message from her a few weeks ago asking for our address so I expected a evenning invite.

Anyway we got a day invite which amazed me as I was sure that we would get evenning only. The day itself is the same date as Hereford at home. As a footnote Mrs DtS and I have got our provisional guest list and this couple are not on it (Altough the brides Mum is).

Due to my new job which I start next week I gave got to do some saturdays and with a baby due in November I accept away games might prove hard for me but as a ST holder I plan to do all the homes (except Orient as got best mates wedding).

I dont really feel I can say to her that I cant come to the day because of Hereford at home and my mate will know that I will be lying and down at Roots Hall.

I need an plausable excuse why I can only make the evenning?

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

I think you'll just have to accept it that you can't go to the match. I had the same thing last season for the Millwall game. To make matters worse, the couple weren't even friends of mine, they were friends of my wife, and when I suggested i'd meet her for the do in the evening she hit the roof!

I also missed a whole load of home games last season because of family commitments, all my wife's family. This season was already looking bad, but luckily all the commitments we have coincide with away games, so hopefully i'll be OK this season.

Just say,

'It's classified. I could tell you, but then i'd have to kill you.'

You may have to work on how you actually present this when you say it. You'll need to be convincing, and have a deathly stare in your eyes..

Have you not thought of hiring a Dave The Shrimper looky-like and sending him to the wedding with the missus, leaving you free to watch Gary Hooper score a hatrick against us?

Here's what worked for me.

Let's just say for example that you had two weddings this summer that clashed with home games. you need to phone both of the away clubs (say Brighton and Leyton Orient) and pretend to be an SUFC official finding out if the match could be switched to a Friday night - a good excuse is useful here, something like - to try and frustrate a planned action from the Colchester Carnage Bridage. Then you need to phone SUFC and do the same (a good ability with accents is useful here, but not essential). The club will be too embarrassed to admit that they're not aware of any potential trouble, so it should be fairly easy to swing this. If this doesn't seem to be greasing the wheels, then you'll need to use the third and riskiest action - phone Essex Police and try the same thing - a good trick here is to mention the word 'overtime' several times, it should help smoke-screen even the flimsiest of excuses. Good luck...

Ask to go evening or wedding - which ever gets you to the game.

Make excuse if you want but make it around the truth etc...

Luck!

Dash

Dave son I've always told you to tell the truth and not lie, not that you have ever listened, the answer is simple.

You would love to go the wedding BUT you cannot let your ageing senile old man down, who would be unable to attend the match without your constant commentary, bickering with Ldnfatso and abusement of opposing players.

The poor old soul doesn't get out much, and going to football is his only pleasure in life, and you just couldn't let him down.

Family before friends, job done

DoDtS

Dave son I've always told you to tell the truth and not lie, not that you have ever listened, the answer is simple.

You would love to go the wedding BUT you cannot let your ageing senile old man down, who would be unable to attend the match without your constant commentary, bickering with Ldnfatso and abusement of opposing players.

The poor old soul doesn't get out much, and going to football is his only pleasure in life, and you just couldn't let him down.

Family before friends, job done

DoDtS

Dave, or send your Dad in your place. I am sure Pete won't mind missing the match --- not.

Back