• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dear All,

I mentioned a month or so ago that the Club had agreed to work with Shrimpers Trust to raise funds for Alan Moody (who had both of his legs amputated in 2015), our record appearances player. The monies raised will go towards helping Alan fund a car to suit his needs which will give him more independence again.

Well, after a couple of meetings with Danny Macklin (SUFC Commercial Director), who has been great in agreeing to various things on Ron's behalf (who has sanctioned this), and Paul Fitzgerald (ST Chair), and on speaking to Alan's daughter, all is now set to go ahead.

There will be lots of publicity re it all nearer the time including details of how to donate online, but the key points for now are:

- we will be having a collection at the Plymouth match on Saturday 19 August (which is what I need some help with hence posting this now) and
- Alan and his daughter will be coming down to Roots Hall (they live near Middlesbrough) for the following home game v Rochdale on Saturday 2 September

There is a lot to sort out but what I do need to ensure asap is that we have a group of volunteers (about 10) who are willing to help with the match day collection on Saturday 19 August. And where better I thought to start asking than the SZ community.

Collectors will be provided with a campaign t-shirt (and a bucket and some loose change to rattle in it!) and I will then aim to get Alan to sign your t-shirts as a souvenir for you.

The collectors will need to meet me at the East Stand reception at 1.00 pm on 19 August and you will then be given your t-shirt/bucket and assigned a place to collect (outside one of the stand entrances). I also have permission to collect in the hospitality areas which is great. Whether we collect around the pitch perimeter pre-match/at half-time and/or for 10 mins or so after the match as folk leave has yet to be decided. Much depends on what help I can get from everyone. Monies will be collected back from everyone on the day at the East Stand reception (again, exact details of timing etc re that yet to be decided).

So, CAN YOU HELP PLEASE? I appreciate doing something like this is not something everyone will want or be able to do but I just need a small group to assist who are willing to give up a little time on match day. You won't miss the match, and for non-season card holder helpers the Club has said that they will provide you with a free match ticket for the Plymouth game.

Whether you are young or not so young, whether you saw Alan play for us (from 1972 to 1984 when he notched up over 500 appearances), it does not matter. You just need an ability to rattle a bucket in front of folk, say a couple of words to folk repeatedly as they pass by re why you are doing it (though we hope all the publicity beforehand will make most aware of what is going on), and maybe be able to smile warmly at people!

IF YOU CAN HELP then great, just send me a private message via Shrimperzone, state whether you have any preference re what stand you would like to collect from, let me know your t-shirt size, and if you are a non-season card holder tell me what stand/block you would like a Plymouth game ticket for. I'll then take things with you from there.

Cheers, Andy (SS)

More than happy to help, will have a pass anyway (Jobbo permitting) so happy to help wherever. Do you want me to get onto the Lions' side of stuff regarding this?

Great work again Andy! :thumbsup:

Alan Moody was one of the players I remember vividly from when I first started watching Southend as a kid, so this is an excellent cause.

I'm likely to be away on 19th, but will see if i can change plans, as would like to help if at all possible.

Hopefully you can get some of the current players pushing this on twitter - but i am sure you are already planning that.:smile:

Can we also get the 'Boro involved? - he also played nearly 50 games for them and they have a big support base?

Will there be a "Just Giving" account (or similar) set up as I want to donate but can't make the match on 19th and I would guess there a lot of other exiles who would wish to contribute.

A few of us shrimpers are getting together for a Cricket match on the 20th of August. I've already asked both captains and we would like to raise some money for Alan.

Be nice if we could invite Alan and his family if they are staying down. We will be doing a B-B-Q and there is a bar that will be open. All would be welcome.

I will update you when I have more details.

Well done Andy,sadly living in Germany cannot help...but maybe send some money via paypal??
Im sure other people would also do that.

Will there be a "Just Giving" account (or similar) set up as I want to donate but can't make the match on 19th and I would guess there a lot of other exiles who would wish to contribute.

The Trust will be setting up a donation page on our Website.
All payments will be via PayPal and the Trust will cover the PayPal fees ensuring 100% of the donations get to Alan.

JustGiving take a percentage of all donations so not all the income would get to Alan.

Well done Andy,sadly living in Germany cannot help...but maybe send some money via paypal??
Im sure other people would also do that.

The Trust will be setting up a donation page on our Website.
All payments will be via PayPal and the Trust will cover the PayPal fees ensuring 100% of the donations get to Alan.

JustGiving take a percentage of all donations so not all the income would get to Alan.

Great work again Andy! :thumbsup:

Alan Moody was one of the players I remember vividly from when I first started watching Southend as a kid, so this is an excellent cause.

I'm likely to be away on 19th, but will see if i can change plans, as would like to help if at all possible.

Hopefully you can get some of the current players pushing this on twitter - but i am sure you are already planning that.:smile:

Can we also get the 'Boro involved? - he also played nearly 50 games for them and they have a big support base?

We are already on the case re Boro and know about the family link with Steve Gibson but thanks for thinking of it, tho we think we have a settled way forward any ideas welcome as we may have missed something obvious Cheers

A few of us shrimpers are getting together for a Cricket match on the 20th of August. I've already asked both captains and we would like to raise some money for Alan.

Be nice if we could invite Alan and his family if they are staying down. We will be doing a B-B-Q and there is a bar that will be open. All would be welcome.

I will update you when I have more details.

Alan and his daughter will be in Essex for the Rochdale match not the fund raising game on 19th but great re using your match to raise funds so do get in touch when you have details. Cheers

I'm bumping this up the post list again - a couple of kind offers to help so far thank you but we could do with a few more.

Learned today too of a wonderful fan personal story of what a top and kind man Alan was with the fans in his time at Roots but I'll save that as it could be used as part of the publicity as we get near the fund raiser match.

For those who want a bit of info on the stats of Alan's amazing career with us I attach a prog pic which hopefully you can read by enlarging.

Thanks again in anticipation. Cheers, AndyQLOeH_OVy0v09SbflerL5dfef8jwncOMEa0_I2V0zI0.jpg

Without having checked the stats I would think that Alan played more times at Roots Hall than any other player. Sandy Anderson will have played a large number of games at the Stadium and Kevin Maher was some 50 games short of Alan in total appearances.

The fee paid at the time he signed in 1972 was a club record £15,000 for a 21 year old nearly 45 years ago. Money well spent.

Another blatant bump up the thread list to catch the weekend viewer.

Only two helpers can definitely make it so far (and one of them doesn't know about it yet!). Three counting me.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Back