• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Henrik Larsson and identity

Mercenary
noun
"a person primarily motivated by personal gain"

What footballers aren't? They have a job, same as anyone else. They need to get paid whatever way they can and maximise their income in the short period they have before their career ends.

As to identity, exactly what identity do we have now? One reason I wanted Barrett was to try to recapture the identity in that Tilson team where most of the players were from Essex, a few were fans and a few were back after years away elsewhere. We had a real Essex feel then, even a specifically Southend one. What identity do we have now to lose?

Plenty of footballers are but it's wrong to suggest all footballers are driven entirely by money. Tilly turned down a move to Coventry as a player and to Norwich as a manager. Chris Powell could have demanded a move well before his move to Derby. Anthony Grant could have fled when they players weren't getting paid and we got relegated. Barry Corr joined out of loyalty to Sturrock when there was more money on the table elsewhere. These are all players that we remember fondly and they are by no means the only examples.

I agree we currently have no identity - and Barrett would be my choice for the reasons you outline - but I think it's wrong to say we have nothing to lose. One thing we have to lose is our fans. Another is our League status.

The club could go many different ways in the next few years depending on a takeover/ new ground. And maybe success in a new stadium and with money behind us could feel as alien as if everything goes wrong and we end up in the Conference. Either way I feel we're a club on the verge of an identity crisis.

Prepared here to have fruit pelted at me but I agree with a lot of what Rigsby has to say.

He goes against the grain and speaks his mind. If this upsets anyone then too bad as far as I'm concerned. I don't agree with all he says by any means but I find him one of the more entertaining and interesting posters on here.
He clearly has the club at heart and that's good enough for me.

Plenty of footballers are but it's wrong to suggest all footballers are driven entirely by money. Tilly turned down a move to Coventry as a player and to Norwich as a manager. Chris Powell could have demanded a move well before his move to Derby. Anthony Grant could have fled when they players weren't getting paid and we got relegated. Barry Corr joined out of loyalty to Sturrock when there was more money on the table elsewhere. These are all players that we remember fondly and they are by no means the only examples.

I agree we currently have no identity - and Barrett would be my choice for the reasons you outline - but I think it's wrong to say we have nothing to lose. One thing we have to lose is our fans. Another is our League status.

The club could go many different ways in the next few years depending on a takeover/ new ground. And maybe success in a new stadium and with money behind us could feel as alien as if everything goes wrong and we end up in the Conference. Either way I feel we're a club on the verge of an identity crisis.

Yeah, totally agree it's not all about money. But the original point is that if we get all these Swedish players they will all be mercenaries but British players won't. That I don't agree with.
Very good points from you about getting success but at the cost of your identity, the West Ham situation. But fans want success, how many clubs are willing to put the short term success aside for long term benefit?

He goes against the grain and speaks his mind. If this upsets anyone then too bad as far as I'm concerned. I don't agree with all he says by any means but I find him one of the more entertaining and interesting posters on here.
He clearly has the club at heart and that's good enough for me.
Agreed, although I actually don't think he goes against the grain that much. He speaks his mind and says it how it is.

I think too many on here read stuff with a stroppy head on and it might go against their grain...

I have no idea what is currently going on but I would be filled with trepidation at the prospect of RM not being in charge of our near future. I think, despite problems, he has done his very best for us. A new engine driver does not guarantee any more track being laid.

Yeah, totally agree it's not all about money. But the original point is that if we get all these Swedish players they will all be mercenaries but British players won't. That I don't agree with.
Very good points from you about getting success but at the cost of your identity, the West Ham situation. But fans want success, how many clubs are willing to put the short term success aside for long term benefit?

Ah, I don't disagree that British players can't be mercenaries - I'd express the same reservations if was a bunch of northerners. I want there to be some connection to the area, like with Nathan Ralph returning "home". It doesn't have to be every player but I want a core of players who want to be here and have a connection to the area. With London on our doorstep that needn't be too restrictive.

I wonder if the Swedish lads would organise a p*** up in London. Force the young lads to attend with threats of a fine, get smashed and have a fight amongst themselves.

Its part of our identity and its clearly working. Lets hope Rik and Dirk don't spoil the fun.

Back