• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Herd's throw in's

shocking attacking play from everyone. no one coming the collect the flick on. just standing there. no one on the back post either.

its just a weapon that we do not how to use. its better than a corner i think.

seriously need to work on this.

shocking attacking play from everyone. no one coming the collect the flick on. just standing there. no one on the back post either.

its just a weapon that we do not how to use. its better than a corner i think.

seriously need to work on this.

Did we actually win any flick on's?
Take a short throw & you have the ball, but with the long throw how many times did we win the ball? Mind you we are rubbish at short throws anyway, so might as well keep taking the long throw.

The long throw is a waste of time imo. It looks good but, when you look at how many goals we have ever scored from one, they don't seem like such a good weapon.

Throw (mind the pun!) the odd one into the mix but it just got predictable today!

Credit to Yeovil I think they defended every single one. They obviously knew about the threat and got lots of bodies back. Might have been better if we'd had a man on the edge of the area to get the clearances. I kept saying myself one of these is going to go in but they just didn't. We had nothing in attack today.

Yea give Yeovil some credit, defensivley they were a good side particularly their 2 centre backs who didnt give Vernon and Spencer a sniff all afternoon. Very well organised and resolute, the complete opposite to us when we play away!

it is a weapon and very good one but we don't use it proply. we need someone on the edge of the 6 yard box ready for the flick, then someone on the keeper, someone on the back post and another on the edge of the 12 yard box. remember how moose scored. you get in right places then goals will come. if only we had someone who could win a header.

I don't think we won a header from one of his throw ins all game and they are probably our biggest threat at the moment as our strikers can't make any chances or even bother to make anything out of them when they get them :madman:

I don't think we won a header from one of his throw ins all game and they are probably our biggest threat at the moment as our strikers can't make any chances or even bother to make anything out of them when they get them :madman:

we had one great chance in the first half when he threw one in and it i think got a flick on and floated to the back post where no player was to be seen and easily cleared away. should have been an easy tap in for us.

The long throw is a seriously excellent weapon, however, just like everything else on the pitch no one is willing or able to attack the ball, we either stand and wait for the ball or watch it go sailing past, if we had someone moving towards the ball for the long throw into the box then maybe, just maybe we could get a 'flick-on', but we don't, we just wait for the ball to come across and then just jump and hope, it then becomes a 50/50 situation. If my 10 year old son did this on a Sunday morning i would drag him off. Attack the bloody ball, it's simple and school boy stuff.

We also need not to have three players going for the ball when it comes to them - Jeff, Barrett and Vernon all tried on more than one occasion from one of those throws....and I know which order I'd like to see them connect.

We also need not to have three players going for the ball when it comes to them - Jeff, Barrett and Vernon all tried on more than one occasion from one of those throws....and I know which order I'd like to see them connect.
With you on this one Kay, why the hell are we so bunched in the box, let's move around a little and for Gods sake will someone move towards the ball when it's coming in instead of just backing away. Some of Herds throws were low enough to head before it reached the pack, get to it before the opposition does. UTB

Credit to Yeovil I think they defended every single one. They obviously knew about the threat and got lots of bodies back. Might have been better if we'd had a man on the edge of the area to get the clearances. I kept saying myself one of these is going to go in but they just didn't. We had nothing in attack today.

Credit to Yeovil definitely, but not because they got lots of bodies back - for me, it was quite the opposite. For every corner and long throw-in, rather than bring everyone back Yeovil's tactics of placing three on the half-way line, one in the centre and two wide left and ride, forced us to hold four players back ourselves and throw less men forward. The consequence was that we had less people in the box to flick the ball onto.

Very good tactics from Yeovil.

Quite where the common sense was for everyone to bunch together at the near post, nobody to attempt to sneak in round the back and nobody bothering to stand on the edge of the box, I don't know. Schoolboy tactics.

Credit to Yeovil definitely, but not because they got lots of bodies back - for me, it was quite the opposite. For every corner and long throw-in, rather than bring everyone back Yeovil's tactics of placing three on the half-way line, one in the centre and two wide left and ride, forced us to hold four players back ourselves and throw less men forward. The consequence was that we had less people in the box to flick the ball onto.

Very good tactics from Yeovil.

At the same time though, if we put more men forward, those Yeovil players who stayed up the pitch would have been forced to come back and mark up.

At the same time though, if we put more men forward, those Yeovil players who stayed up the pitch would have been forced to come back and mark up.

Perhaps, but we normally do put more men forward. The only difference today was Yeovil's tactics so we have to assume that it forced our hand not the other way around.

On another tack with Herd, who on earth awarded him the man of the match? As much as I want our young players to emerge and do well, but let's not blind ourselves, Herd was poor today. That isn't singling him out of a woeful performance, he just wasn't our man of the match.

Lack of work on this throw routine.(Bit like all of our set plays)
When Herd throws it to the near post area where our target has 2 players one in front and one behind a player should come out of the crowd and offer a short throw on every throw.(Thus offering a short option and also the possibility of dragging a defender out or at best one of the two marking our target man)
We are blatantly signalling from our starting positions that the ball is gonna get thrown in the box.

On another note, how many minutes are wasted throughout the game by herd giving the ball a good wipe with the towel before actually throwing it?.

On another tack with Herd, who on earth awarded him the man of the match? As much as I want our young players to emerge and do well, but let's not blind ourselves, Herd was poor today. That isn't singling him out of a woeful performance, he just wasn't our man of the match.

I actually did think he had a good game Harry.

Back