• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Hereford United 0-1 Southend United

Magnum PI

Private Detective
Just back from Hereford. Didnt think we would edge it once Laurent missed that chance, but we certainly got stronger as the match went on and probably just deserved it, although the penalty was right in front of me, and I would have been pretty peeved to have that given against us. I reckon he got the ball, but the refs position probably wasnt as good as ours. I'll take it ! Another cracking day, and generally results in our favour. Tranmere dont bother me. They will win, lose, win, lose, win, lose

Joyce - 7 - Had little to do but looked pretty assured
Barrett - 7 - Got forward well but resorted to too much hoof today
Clarke - 7 - One mad lunge but played some splendid balls. solid at back
Dervite - 9 - World class today. What a difference he makes to the team
Sankofa - 7 - Solid, supported midfield today and got forward a lot
Christophe - 6 - Some good tackles, but generally quite quiet today
Grant - 7 - slick in front of back 4 but takes too many chances sometimes
Moussa - 7 - Got stuck in well, but drifts in and out of games too much
Betsy - 8 - Pick of midfield. Surprised was subbed. Excellent control
Robinson - 7 - Never stops running and we fit game to his pace. Good pen
Barnard - 7 - Great first half but quieter in second. No surprise subbed

Scannell - 7 - Looked threat when came on and great cross for Laurent
Laurent - 7 - fluffed easy chance, and won a penalty .. good sub to have

Ref - 5 - Inexperienced I think. Never really got grip of game and pretty poor decision for the penalty I reckon, but I'll take it

Ground - 10 - What all football grounds were like 15 to 20 years ago. One of the weirdest ends to watch football in !

Hereford

Just got back.

Not much to say, the match was pretty uneventful. Our pretty football seems to have gone AWOL, because we were pretty agricultural today. I the team wouldn't let itself be dragged down to the level of the opposition. It turned into hoof-volley-ball.

We didn't play very well, there was very little attacking impetus, we lacked width and I thought that we lacked a bit of tooth in the middle. Grant played well and broke up the play effectively, but Jeff seemed off colour and we missed the slightly more burly attacking style of McCormack. Things changed with the 2 subs for the better, with Scannell (who looked very impressive) offering us width, showing Betsy how to play as a winger and scaring Hereford onto the back foot; and Laurent showing some nice touches and winning the penalty with his footwork, although he missed an absolute sitter.

The penalty, despite the aggression of their AM at the end, WAS a penalty in my eyes. Those of us Shrimpers in the seating off to the left hand side of the terracing had a better view than anyone, and although their player got some ball, he went through Laurent to get and it was from slightly behind. Laurent skinned him and the only way their defender could stop him was to bring him down. Laurent was almost certain to score and wither way, the ball would have ended up in the goal, so he had no reason to dive or go down easily. By the letter of the law, being the last man and stopping a goal scoring opportunity, their guy should have walked, but then so should Dervite for has challenge on Brandy earlier in the second half.

Ratings:

Joyce - 7 - Had very little to do bar a few good low saves. Kicking was generally impressive.

Sankofa - 7 - Solid game, defended well and actually got forward a few times. His overlap on Betsy and the cut back should have resulted in a goal.

Barrett - 6.5 - Not bad. Got forward quite well but was often caught out of position on the way back and tended to lump the ball up in the air too much.

Dervite - 7 - Quite a good game, kept things simple, won absolutely everything in the air, but again, needs to play the ball on the deck a bit more, he tended to aimlessly hoof it a lot.

Clarke - 7 - Did ok, marshalled well with Dervite, actually played some accurate long balls out of defence for a change!

Betsy - 5.5 - Hmmmm. It's like Tommy Black Mk II. I know there's a good player in there, but he has no confidence and can't take a player on for love nor money. Didn't seem to know what to do with the ball when he got it, showed little direction going forward although had a couple of decent long-range shots.

Jeff - 6 - Off-colour. Mis-placed passes, got caught in possession too often, lacked forward drive and didn't seem to want to know for most of the first half. Got better in second half but needs to do better.

Grant - 7.5 MOM - Another good game from Granty. Tough in the tackle, broke up play well,showed some lovely touches, played some decent passes and won some free-kicks.

Moussa - 6 - Wasn't really given the ball enough. The ball stayed out on the right which suggests his team mates don't have confidence in his ability to play on the wing. When he did get the ball he played a few good passes, but didn't offer much going forward and by drifiting inside to find the ball, he left Barrett exposed a bit when Hereford attacked.

Barnard - 6.5 - Wasn't really involved too much. Had a couple of good attempts on goal and held the ball up well, but otherwise unspectacular. I'm convinced he plays better off of a tall partner.

Robinson - 7 - Good game from him. Good on the ball and has good footwork, runs forward with purpose when he has the ball, and offers a really good outlet by erunning in behind the defence to get on the end of balls over the top. Scored the penalty.

Subs:

Laurent - 6.5 - Good on the ball going forward and won the penalty, but shocking miss from barely 5 yards out from Scannell's cutback. Should have scored.

Scannell - 7 - Great impact sub. Ran with the ball, took players on and got several crosses into the box. Scared them and provided a massive difference to when Betsy was on. Still not convinced he can do it from the start; I think he's an impact sub player, but he needs to be used earlier. Promising.

Hereford support - 2 - shocking, atmosphereless.

Southend support - 7 - outsung the home support easily, good following of 400+.

Referee - 5 - didn't let a scrappy enough game flow, should have produced 2 red cards.

Apart from Betsy we tend to agree on almost everything !

Indeed we do! Betsy showed decent enough control, but he just didn't seem to know what to do with the ball when he got it. Seemed a bit directionless, didn't take players on and kept giving the ball away. I'm not one to criticise him heavily though because as I said, he's like Tommy Black for me. I know there's a talented player in there, but he seems devoid of any confidence in his own ability and something isn't really clicking.

Not a good advert for L1 football. Hereford were always going to battle and make things tight. They offered nothing to little going forward and you could see why they are going to be relegated in a few weeks. Although their performance was not as abject as the one they put in at The Hall. We huffed and puffed, but probably deserved the three points as we created more chances. The penalty never was, and we'd have been going nuts if we'd conceeded that. Still 3 points is 3 points, and its onwards and upwards.

Joyce 8 - did very well, claimed everything and did everything asked of him

Sankofa 7 - looked steadier than recent performances and even at times looked to attack

Barrett 7 - Solid, and got down the left flank on occassions. A bit wayward with distribution.

Dervit 7 - Solid as a house.

Clarke 7 - Another good performance, with the exception of a fantastic cross field ball his distribution ranged from terrible to hoof. But got his job done.

Betsy 6 - At times he wasn't interested. Seemed not to want to get involved. At other times he tore into the Bulls defence. Erratic and frustrating.

Christophe 6 - Broke play up well, but passing was generally poor and wanted too much time.

Grant 8.5 - Gets better every week and is going to be a late candidate for player of the year. Strongly suggest that we build our midfield around him next season.

Moussa 6 - Struggled to get involved at times, especially first half.

Barnard 5 - Looked off the pace and was too easily knocked off the ball. Kept trying but ineffective today.

Robinson 7 - His pace kept the Hereford defenders on their toes, especially towards the end of the game.

Subs.

Scannell 8 - I want to see him start. He came on and within minutes had done what Betsy had failed to do - turn their defender inside out. Looked dangerous everytime he had the ball.

Laurent 7 - A real handful at times and was "fouled" for the pen. Should have scored before that though (I suspect Barnard would have!)

Crowd

Hereford fans 5 - Unlike some home fans they made a bit of noise to start with, but if you are watching that tosh every week I can see why they lose interest.

Southend fans 6 - Not much better. A bit of racket every so often and a booming last five minutes.

Ref 7 - Had a good game, despite neither team really attempting to play football. Penalty decision was a joke and there appeared to be a few "homer" decisions.

Comment of the day..... "Cmon Southend you are attempting to build sandcastles on quicksand"

just a word on lord footballs view on scannel he started games at the start of the season and was poop, this after a good pre season, I am glad he made an impact today but being told to buck your ideas up or your out should have a good response

Ref 7 - Had a good game, despite neither team really attempting to play football. Penalty decision was a joke and there appeared to be a few "homer" decisions.

Comment of the day..... "Cmon Southend you are attempting to build sandcastles on quicksand"

I guess you were standing near me somewhere cos I heard the above comment and was stunned into silence!!

Interesting that you didnt think it was a pen as from our similar viewpoints I thought it was fairly clear cut that the defender went thru Laurent to get the ball - but then I'm no referee (fortunately!) The only thing that surprised me in getting the pen was the fact the ref had given us bugger all for the rest of the game.

I guess you were standing near me somewhere cos I heard the above comment and was stunned into silence!!

Interesting that you didnt think it was a pen as from our similar viewpoints I thought it was fairly clear cut that the defender went thru Laurent to get the ball - but then I'm no referee (fortunately!) The only thing that surprised me in getting the pen was the fact the ref had given us bugger all for the rest of the game.

I was off to the side in the seating, and that's what I saw. Got some ball, yes, but went through Laurent to get it. Laurent had no need to go down as he was going to score. Fairly clear-cut for me too.

Hi James, I don't think it was a penalty from where I was in the terracing - it was more a case of falling over the ball in my opinion. But to be honest, the last two penalties we've had against us (Tranmere & Peterborough) have also been pretty dodgy.

Hi Mark. Fair enough mate. All about angles I guess. From where I was in the seating, I was directly behind it and it looked fairly clear-cut, but I guess no-one will ever agree!

I wouldn't worry about that neither is/was LF!!!

:whistling:

Sounded like we were only on top possession wise in the second half. Sounded like we played well defensively and Granty is in great form

Hereford ~ The Big Shrimp match report

Hi Rich

Good match report ~ still on the Zone after 11pm on a Saturday night.....what a
sad git!

Oh just realised......so am I!!!!!

H

Hi Rich

Good match report ~ still on the Zone after 11pm on a Saturday night.....what a
sad git!

Oh just realised......so am I!!!!!

H

:offtopic:

Its a chance to avoid crap TV & talk to a mate in the States! LF is the person throwing up in my avatar!!

I didnt go to the Hereford game today, but went to the Leeds away game earlier on in the season, and Scannell gave it a real go when he came on as a sub then. If Tilson says were down to the bare bones, give the lad more of a chance

Bulls Website - View of the game (and decisions by ref)

Graham Turner rang the changes for this game as he handed a full debut to loanee Darren Dennehy who partnered a recalled Dean Beckwith in the centre of the defence.
Richard Rose was restored to the left-back berth, while Sam Hewson, having completed his one-match ban, returned to central midfield. While Karl Broadhurst was named among the substitutes there was no place on the bench for Taylor, Antwi and Smith, the other three players deposed after the home defeat to Bristol Rovers.
The first half of this game was a scrappy affair with precious little goalmouth incident at either end. Crucially for the Bulls though, the pairing of Beckwith and Dennehy had a galvanising effect on a defence which looked a class above that which looked so brittle and was so overrun in its previous two outings.
Today the defence was well organised and, in the main, restricted the visitors to speculative strikes at goal.
It was the Bulls who, five minutes from the interval, came the closest to breaking the deadlock in this first period. A neat interchange of passes between Guinan and Brandy saw the diminutive Manchester United loanee power a right-footed strike on goal from fifteen yards which was deflected just wide of the left-hand post by a defender.
From the resulting corner Dennehy, powering in at the far post, directedhis header just fractionally over the bar with Southend keeper Ian Joyce beaten.
http://www.herefordunited.co.uk/upload/club/herefordunited/image/club/large/0260.jpg Bulls' fans praying for their team to extend the visiting defence with an inventive passing game were to be disappointed in this second period in which the home team were kicking towards the Meadow End.

In a game almost completely devoid of technical merit the Bulls relied far too heavily on repeated attempts to breach the Southend defence through the pace of Febien Brandy. The succession of first-time passes towards the striker became predictable and were comfortably dealt with by a very well marshalled Southend defence in which Dervite and Clarke excelled.
It was Southend who slowly exerted a grip on proceedings and three times before the hour mark they stretched Gulacsi in the home goal. First the Hungarian keeper dived low to his left to take a stinging Theo Robinson drive at the second attempt.
Then he pulled off a sprawling save to push away a Kevin Betsy shot. He did even better just before the hour mark when he flung himself to his right to parry a fierce Christophe strike. Robinson pounced on the rebound but his drive across the face of goal was hacked away by Bulls' defenders.
It was in the sixty-eighth minute that the game burst into life with a flash of brilliance from Febien Brandy. Returning deep to pick up possession, his explosive run took him past a succession of Southend defenders and into the penalty area where he was cynically upended by last man Dorian Dervite.
The referee, Mr Hooper, had a clear view of the challenge and deemed that although Brandy had fallen inside the penalty area contact had taken place just outside it.
To the amazement of everyone in the ground he produced a yellow and not a red card for the Southend defender. If ever an exhibition of brilliance deserved a goal it was this run of Brandy's but Sam Hewson couldn't test Joyce from the resulting free kick.
A few minutes later the visitors introduced substitutes Scannell and Laurent and the pair immediately combined to create the clearest scoring opportunitty of the game. Scannell got the better of Rose down the right and his measured cross fell invitingly for Laurent.
The Southend substitute, just ten yards out, unmarked and with the goal at his mercy, contrived to waste a golden opportunity by skewing his effort horribly wide of Gulacsi's right-hand post.
Despite their endeavour it was a familiar story for the Bulls: a lack of cutting edge and invention in the final third which prevented them- Brandy's inspired run apart - from seriously threatening the Southend goal.
Just as the game appeared to be drifting towards a goalless draw the visitors, just four minutes from time, were gifted the game by an extraordinary refereeing decision.
Francis Laurent, with his back to goal, beautifully turned Dennehy before bearing down on goal on the right side of the penalty area. The Irish loanee, who hadn't put a foot wrong all afternoon, slid in to dispossess the Southend striker with a superbly-timed tackle.
There was not the slightest doubt that the defender took the ball and not the man but Mr Hooper, to round off a wretched refereeing performance, waved away the animated protests of the home defenders to award a penalty and book the hapless Dennehy.
Theo Robinson converted the penalty with ease to give Southend a victory against his old club. This was hard on the Bulls whose effort and endeavour had just about deserved a point from this scrappy, disjointed encounter.
At the end of a week that may well define the Bulls' season Graham Turner and John Trewick now face the toughest of challenges in trying to lift the mood at Edgar Street.

Graham Turner rang the changes for this game as he handed a full debut to loanee Darren Dennehy who partnered a recalled Dean Beckwith in the centre of the defence.
Richard Rose was restored to the left-back berth, while Sam Hewson, having completed his one-match ban, returned to central midfield. While Karl Broadhurst was named among the substitutes there was no place on the bench for Taylor, Antwi and Smith, the other three players deposed after the home defeat to Bristol Rovers.
The first half of this game was a scrappy affair with precious little goalmouth incident at either end. Crucially for the Bulls though, the pairing of Beckwith and Dennehy had a galvanising effect on a defence which looked a class above that which looked so brittle and was so overrun in its previous two outings.
Today the defence was well organised and, in the main, restricted the visitors to speculative strikes at goal.
It was the Bulls who, five minutes from the interval, came the closest to breaking the deadlock in this first period. A neat interchange of passes between Guinan and Brandy saw the diminutive Manchester United loanee power a right-footed strike on goal from fifteen yards which was deflected just wide of the left-hand post by a defender.
From the resulting corner Dennehy, powering in at the far post, directedhis header just fractionally over the bar with Southend keeper Ian Joyce beaten.
http://www.herefordunited.co.uk/upload/club/herefordunited/image/club/large/0260.jpg Bulls' fans praying for their team to extend the visiting defence with an inventive passing game were to be disappointed in this second period in which the home team were kicking towards the Meadow End.

In a game almost completely devoid of technical merit the Bulls relied far too heavily on repeated attempts to breach the Southend defence through the pace of Febien Brandy. The succession of first-time passes towards the striker became predictable and were comfortably dealt with by a very well marshalled Southend defence in which Dervite and Clarke excelled.
It was Southend who slowly exerted a grip on proceedings and three times before the hour mark they stretched Gulacsi in the home goal. First the Hungarian keeper dived low to his left to take a stinging Theo Robinson drive at the second attempt.
Then he pulled off a sprawling save to push away a Kevin Betsy shot. He did even better just before the hour mark when he flung himself to his right to parry a fierce Christophe strike. Robinson pounced on the rebound but his drive across the face of goal was hacked away by Bulls' defenders.
It was in the sixty-eighth minute that the game burst into life with a flash of brilliance from Febien Brandy. Returning deep to pick up possession, his explosive run took him past a succession of Southend defenders and into the penalty area where he was cynically upended by last man Dorian Dervite.
The referee, Mr Hooper, had a clear view of the challenge and deemed that although Brandy had fallen inside the penalty area contact had taken place just outside it.
To the amazement of everyone in the ground he produced a yellow and not a red card for the Southend defender. If ever an exhibition of brilliance deserved a goal it was this run of Brandy's but Sam Hewson couldn't test Joyce from the resulting free kick.
A few minutes later the visitors introduced substitutes Scannell and Laurent and the pair immediately combined to create the clearest scoring opportunitty of the game. Scannell got the better of Rose down the right and his measured cross fell invitingly for Laurent.
The Southend substitute, just ten yards out, unmarked and with the goal at his mercy, contrived to waste a golden opportunity by skewing his effort horribly wide of Gulacsi's right-hand post.
Despite their endeavour it was a familiar story for the Bulls: a lack of cutting edge and invention in the final third which prevented them- Brandy's inspired run apart - from seriously threatening the Southend goal.
Just as the game appeared to be drifting towards a goalless draw the visitors, just four minutes from time, were gifted the game by an extraordinary refereeing decision.
Francis Laurent, with his back to goal, beautifully turned Dennehy before bearing down on goal on the right side of the penalty area. The Irish loanee, who hadn't put a foot wrong all afternoon, slid in to dispossess the Southend striker with a superbly-timed tackle.
There was not the slightest doubt that the defender took the ball and not the man but Mr Hooper, to round off a wretched refereeing performance, waved away the animated protests of the home defenders to award a penalty and book the hapless Dennehy.
Theo Robinson converted the penalty with ease to give Southend a victory against his old club. This was hard on the Bulls whose effort and endeavour had just about deserved a point from this scrappy, disjointed encounter.
At the end of a week that may well define the Bulls' season Graham Turner and John Trewick now face the toughest of challenges in trying to lift the mood at Edgar Street.

Wouldn't pay attention to it really, heavily biased.

The best way to look at it is that the penalty (from where I was sitting) WAS a penalty, and that both the player who conceded the penalty AND Dervite could and possibly should have walked.

Back