• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard T

First XI
Today marks the 29th anniversary since 39 supporters sadly lost there lives at the disaster at the Heysell Stadium. This is one of four major tragedies involving British sides where football fans have died when attending a match which should never have happened.
As a mark of respect to those who died Liverpool football club flags will be flown at half-mast all day, while a floral tribute will be placed at the foot of the Heysel Memorial Plaque in the Centenary Stand at Anfield this morning.
RIP

I forget, is this the other incident involving Liverpool FC where there were multiple deaths and it's absolutely nothing to do with the beloved Scouse angels?

Today marks the 29th anniversary since 39 supporters sadly lost there lives at the disaster at the Heysell Stadium. This is one of four major tragedies involving British sides where football fans have died when attending a match which should never have happened.
As a mark of respect to those who died Liverpool football club flags will be flown at half-mast all day, while a floral tribute will be placed at the foot of the Heysel Memorial Plaque in the Centenary Stand at Anfield this morning.
RIP
Well said. I hope everyone is equally as respectful in what they have to say on this subject.

I take it there will be a memorial service in front of the kop then? Attended by both managers from Liverpool and Everton??? Will the local
MP be there???

Shame it does not receive such gusto
Off course not in both cases but more the case of the club showing their respect over the tragedy which sadly is all that is can be done now. There were 'fan's', Police and a UEFA official found guilty and punished many years ago for the part they played in the disaster. Ian Rush also travelled to Turin to attend a mass for those that lost their lives'.
Sadly you seem to have obtained your opinions from some old tabloid headlines rather than any knowledge on the disaster.
Enough by me for today on this subject as it would be wrong if this thread became disrespectful I was just pointing out the sad anniversary.

Remember it well,very,very sad day....Big Ron,a liverpool&Blues fans was in that end and he can tell you some things about the Juv "fans" before the game...or the banners made before the game like "red animals",the Juv fan who ran onto the pitch with a "pistol",aiming at the Liverpool end..bad days..but not just English fans causing trouble..as in most times,the innocent people,get the most "hurt"

True Blue fires from the hip it's true but to call his comment immature and ill informed is, frankly not the case. Liverpool Football Club have always kept very quite about the events of that day and their then chairman even tried to blame the National Front while many Liverpool fans attempted to deflect blame onto Chelsea, West Ham and Millwall fans. From some of the stuff I have read, you can add Leeds, Portsmouth, Rangers and any other team who had a large hooligan following at the time. The two links that Uncle Leo gave us show that the very real truth of the matter is that Liverpool fans have never excepted any wrong doing with the exception of Tony Evans who at least admitted to some wrong doing but to my mind was just trying to ease his own conscious.

Those of a certain age who watched on the TV the events unfold might have considered Liverpool fans just defending themselves and the end result of that was the tragedy we all saw. But those of us who can see beyond our own noses might be able to understand that many of those Liverpool fans had a reputation for robbing, ground rushing and intimidation and are not the innocent victims their claim to be. Sorry Richard T, my sympathy lies with the dead and the blame lies firmly with the Liverpool fans.

True Blue might have been a little clumsy, but he is spot on about the 'Always the victims' They think they always are.

The zone is a place for people to share their opinions which of course will not always be the same. But when the thread is about showing respect to people that have lost there lives which despite what Bill Shankly said is more important than football or it's rivalries i feel very strongly it is wrong to state something that is not true for the reasons stated and a line from a chant !.
I was actually at the match and scarily close to the wire when it came down so I am fully aware if had bought a UEFA neutral ticket I would have been on the wrong side. I like most people present was not aware their had been any fatalities until much latter. It was bizarre how the friendly care free atmosphere that there was in the sunny square in the city centre changed as the sun went down to a much darker mood. On the trip out to the stadium in late afternoon I saw a couple of large gang fights with no police presence at the time.
Going to football was a different experience in the 80's and Liverpool certainly had amongst there following a number that could be up for some aggro and there certainly a few that were looking for revenge for the many stabbings in Rome the previous year both before and after the Final against Roma.
With regard to you dismissing the claim that 'fan's' of other clubs being involved i know from hearing Chelsea lads bragging to there mates about sorting out some Italians and then joking about how they wished getting into games for ' Chels ' for nothing as it was so easy some did travel. Then arriving at St Pancras there was a couple of Lions chants from a group of Millwall fans. Off course I have no way of knowing how involved they were in the trouble but i am certain that is what they went over for so I have no reason to doubt they did not achieve that.
The following is an interesting read as it makes it clear whilst a few Liverpool fans have rightly been charged over the events of that night the responsibility for this is not theirs alone. The article also highlights although Liverpool were slow to fully acknowledge this tragedy as a club they still did so before Juventus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ht-European-Cup-final-Juventus-Liverpool.html

Last edited:
Another year on although the memories of that night may will still be vivid for those present the pain for those that lost loved ones on this fateful day will hopefully be slightly less painful with the passing of time. RIP the 39.

Back