• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Leoblue

Director
I've been thinking, we seem to be linked to some high profile players of late, who don't come cheap. Ok they're free transfers but the wages must be very high.

My question is, where's the money coming from. I know people have spoken before about a mysterious backer, maybe this is true........

Anyone have any thoughts on this or know if this is true?

I don't think there is a mysterious backer.

I don't assume that the wage demands are very high.

I don't believe any of the rumours about these players until there is something official.

But it runs down the hours and the days if we all chip in our own bit of wisdom/rubbish and then suddenly the season is upon us.

We received a nice payday by going up via the play offs, bigger projected budget from higher gate receipts particularly away support from some big clubs. Also, we have free'd up a lot of wages, Barnard alone would have been on probably the largest wage at the club. We've also seen Corr, Clifford, Ibenfeldt leave with (so far) just Mooney and Wordsworth coming in.

Despite our frustrations as fans, the club is very shrewd each summer meaning that we're not paying our inevitable 3/4 loanees who will form part of our squad. Also late signings mean a month or two of paying out a smaller wage bill.

I'd expect to sign 2/3 more players with Brown adding a further 3 maybe 4 loanees. Throw Deegan into the mix and our squad won't be on that much more than last season (relative to turnover wise)

We received a nice payday by going up via the play offs, bigger projected budget from higher gate receipts particularly away support from some big clubs. Also, we have free'd up a lot of wages, Barnard alone would have been on probably the largest wage at the club. We've also seen Corr, Clifford, Ibenfeldt leave with (so far) just Mooney and Wordsworth coming in.

Despite our frustrations as fans, the club is very shrewd each summer meaning that we're not paying our inevitable 3/4 loanees who will form part of our squad. Also late signings mean a month or two of paying out a smaller wage bill.

I'd expect to sign 2/3 more players with Brown adding a further 3 maybe 4 loanees. Throw Deegan into the mix and our squad won't be on that much more than last season (relative to turnover wise)

Absolutely hit the nail on the head here...

Maybe it's a fallacy that these high profile players demand massive wages, the reason we're signing them is they are not the player they once were.

Maybe it's a fallacy that these high profile players demand massive wages, the reason we're signing them is they are not the player they once were.

Yes. That's what I was trying to say. In division 3 they will still be on a decent wage and that is topping up their finances that they should have sorted from playing at a higher level.

It may be that some players have blown the money on expensive trinkets but that is not a reason for Southend United or any other club to pay more money than the market/budget allows.

Last edited:
And add the possibility of a joint coaching role and Southend then becomes more attractive to them.

Yes. That's what I was trying to say. In division 3 they will still be on a decent wage and that is topping up their finances that they should have GOTTEN sorted from playing at a higher level.

It may be that some players have blown the money on expensive trinkets but that is not a reason for Southend United or any other club to pay more money than the market/budget allows.

Now we have gone from text speak and bad spelling to American. What happened to good old correct English?

Any news on Davies or hunt??

My neighbour's cousin, who employs a gardener, that plays golf with the husband of Ron Martin's cleaner, said that money is the stumbling block for the Hunt transfer, at the moment. He will be taking quite a cut in salary if he joins us.

My neighbour's cousin, who employs a gardener, that plays golf with the husband of Ron Martin's cleaner, said that money is the stumbling block for the Hunt transfer, at the moment. He will be taking quite a cut in salary if he joins us.

Can you tell your neighbour's cousin, who employs a gardener, that plays golf with the husband of Ron Martin's cleaner that it is quite obvious to all that a player can expect to earn less in money as he enters the twilight of his career.

If we know that, surely Hunt should know that.

Hash tag: Greedistherootofsomuchthatiswronginoursociety

Last edited:
To be honest, I suspect this is all a big misunderstanding and we're actually chasing after N Hunt, the former Bolton right-back, rather than N Hunt the former Reading forward.

Back