• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Highly-rated keeper joins Manchester City from Southend United

good luck to him, these deals could genuinely keep the club afloat. hope he kicks on and we get even more for him down the line, but that's very unlikely sadly

Good luck to the lad. I must say it does feel that we have been blessed in the goalkeeper youth production line for some time. Bentley, Smith (just unfortunate to come through at the same time as Bentley) Bishop, Seadon and a couple of others who names escape me.

good luck to him, these deals could genuinely keep the club afloat. hope he kicks on and we get even more for him down the line, but that's very unlikely sadly

How do they keep the club afloat.

The deal is probably worth about 50k. We would need to do about 10 per season to actually break even.

Finley burns deal was a record for any club at that age and it was 175k. Hardly going to much in the current climate.

The only way to make money is by appearance bonuses, both domestic for the buying club and at international level and a percentage of sell on.

I doubt we even have those kind of deals.

The deal is probably worth about 50k. We would need to do about 10 per season to actually break even.

Finley burns deal was a record for any club at that age and it was 175k. Hardly going to much in the current climate.

The only way to make money is by appearance bonuses, both domestic for the buying club and at international level and a percentage of sell on.

Finley Burns was a record deal for a 13 year old.

Fees are much higher for 17(?) year olds.

But in the last year and a half we've sold Kelman, Bishop, Hutchinson, Kenny Coker, Justin Osagie, apparently someone to Chelsea and maybe a few more we're not even aware of. In addition there will be add-ons triggered from previous years' sales.

We also save money when they break into the team we don't need to go out and get someone else on stupid wages

in our situation every penny helps. 50k could be the difference between us going bust or not

Firstly, we don’t actually know what the deal is worth. I understand at least one other Premier League club were interested in George Murray-Jones and, therefore, that club may have pushed the compensation rate up from any basic fees expected.

Secondly, on the basis that GMJ had been offered a scholarship for the next two seasons, under Youth Development Rules the compensation decision would be made by a body called the Professional Football Compensation Committee. Given that the basic compensation for U12-U16 players signing for a Premier League club includes appearance add-ons of £150k for every 10 appearances up to 60 plus a further £100k every 10 appearances up to 100, it’s unlikely to be lower than that, given two of the criteria for their decision are interest from other clubs and international appearances (with GMJ having been called up for England previously).

It's a numbers game. Premier League clubs hoover players up when they show a hint of promise, all we can do is ensure we get the right structure to the deal, we are hardly going to be able to compete with them.

Isaac Hayden made us quite a bit of money, but for every Hayden there will be five or six Lyle Dalla Verdes.

If one comes off, these days it can set you up for years. Look at Exeter and Ollie Watkins.

Great move for him...... its a shame we can't keep these youngsters for couple years of first team action for sufc and then sell them on, that way we would command better transfer fee and sell on clause! Unfortunately clubs like man city can offer the player and their family huge financial rewards which makes it impossible to turn down. It does make me think is their any point sufc having an academy if top talent is taken away for peanuts.

Personally I would choose to invest in talent in non league and sell them on after couple years with potential to sell them for bigger fees. Similar to Peterborough model, that way if the club progresses up the league and reach championship, then you could go international and get hidden gems from abroad, like what brentford do. My ideas might be to much championship manager style ?.

Great move for him...... its a shame we can't keep these youngsters for couple years of first team action for sufc and then sell them on, that way we would command better transfer fee and sell on clause! Unfortunately clubs like man city can offer the player and their family huge financial rewards which makes it impossible to turn down. It does make me think is their any point sufc having an academy if top talent is taken away for peanuts.

Personally I would choose to invest in talent in non league and sell them on after couple years with potential to sell them for bigger fees. Similar to Peterborough model, that way if the club progresses up the league and reach championship, then you could go international and get hidden gems from abroad, like what brentford do. My ideas might be to much championship manager style ?.
agree with the first half, but the only way we can do the first half is to have the academy. People laud the Peterborough and Brentford models, but they start with a lot more money. they've gone for the spend money to make money approach, and we ain't got enough. Non-league ain't like it used to be, most of the good players go for serious money. for sure there is talent in non-league, but scouting is so much better now there's a lot more competition for the good players, and we can't complete

agree with the first half, but the only way we can do the first half is to have the academy. People laud the Peterborough and Brentford models, but they start with a lot more money. they've gone for the spend money to make money approach, and we ain't got enough. Non-league ain't like it used to be, most of the good players go for serious money. for sure there is talent in non-league, but scouting is so much better now there's a lot more competition for the good players, and we can't complete
I must admit I'm big fan of those models, buy those players at low prices and sell them on for substantially higher value they bought them for...... admittedly not every signing going to come off.

That is credit to both clubs scouting network, both those clubs tend to get more right than wrong.

I watch lot of foreign football, their certainly some hidden gems in some of those leagues. Scandinavia is place where you can pick up gems for low fees.

Last edited:
I must admit I'm big fan of those models, buy those players at low prices and sell them on for substantially higher value they bought them for...... admittedly not every signing going to come off.

That is credit to both clubs scouting network, both those clubs tend to get more right than wrong.

I watch lot of foreign football, their certainly some hidden gems in some of those leagues. Scandinavia is place where you can pick up gems for low fees.
not easy to do, if it was easy everyone would do it. So will be tough to emulate, especially if you don't have any money to start with. I'd be very happy if we started being competent at transfers by the way, just think we should try to walk before we try to run (even crawl would be a start)

Back