• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimper_sam

Manager
Getting promoted from league one was a fantastic achievement. And has brought to the 2006-2007 many highs and lows. Going trough against a strong Manchester United side 1-0 in the caling cup was fantastic. Beating all 3 teams that got relegated from the prem is also a fantastic achievement. Aswell as the lows of losing to Tottenham thanks to an offside goal. Losing to our north Essex rivels. Going 17 games without a win. Aswell as the failure of Micheal Ricketts.

Here are my High and low moments of the season so far:

As for the Lowest of the low - well theres 2 moments for me:-
Losing to Colchester thanks to the cheating Scum Duguid. Plus losingto fellow relegation rivals Barnsley. that day i thought we was down.

The highlights so far: Beating Barnsley In the FA Cup Replay and doing a conga. It was a great laugh and the atmousphere was buzzing. Also Beating Cardiff for our first away win.

15 games left, one thing is for sure when we have Tilson in charge we are never short of excitment.

What are your highs and lows of the season so far???

All the best
S.S :D

lowest for some reason was against brimingham. theres been a few highest, man u (obviously), both the visits to tottanham were great days out. but my best was against coventry, just a quality day, the start off a great come back and was just brilliant to see us score after quite a long time.

Highs - Win at Brum, Beating WBA & Saints at home, Man Utd, Hug from Keef Moon at Brum away.

Low - Losing to Colchester, Run of away defeats, Hull at him, Fact Duguid is still alive.

My highs of the year would be the Stadium getting approval, beating Man Utd, Our game against West Brom when we beat them 3-1 which gave us a new belief and Tottenham away in the carling cup the atmosphere was amazing and we gave them a run for their money something we failed to achieve at their place in the FA cup.
As for my lows it definitely has to be losing 3-0 to Col U. And another time was after failing to get a point of norwich at their place after being all over them for the last 85 minutes of the game i thought that was the signal of our season as a whole and the reason why we was going down as we were failing to turn draws into wins.

second half of Barnsley away - SUFC were bossing it on the pitch and in the stands -

that night against Man U was the best sporting occasion of my life - but that must be true of any SUFC fan - it was a kids dream come true -

lows Barnsley at home in the cup, Spurs away both times (spoilt aren't we) but I didn't like it - bringing a neutral to the Hall for Birmingham at home -

Highlights:
Beating Sunderland convincingly at home (the last home game I have been able to get to).
Beating Man Utd - watched the game in a pub nd just went mental when we scored and when the final whistle went with neutrals and locals watching on smiling!
Coventry away - outsinging the home fans all game, first game since Leicester away, going mental when we scored and just a great day out!

Lowlights:
Losing AET to Spurs - listened on BW and was gutted when the goal went in.
Hearing the news of Col Ewe away - 2 sent off, Duguid cheating, felt really low after that and ****ed off about the result.

The low was Hull City, losing to the bottom side with ten men was when I realised we were really, really struggling after believing there were worse teams than us to that point.

That was also the last home game before the high point, Man United, as after that nothing has really upset me because I've thought `even if we end up bottom with 12 points, we have beaten Man United!'

High: Getting the stadium approval and beating Man U
Low: The Wolves game. I walked out of RH convinced we were going to go down without a fight.

Lows were Hull and seeing the table after Wolves..
Highs Man U and in the league for me it was Southampton.. I just couldnt believe we were going to get three points.. I watched the last 10 minutes in silence.

Winning at Brum was my high. Man Utd was great, but I wasn't there, so I'm (a bit selfishly) discounting that.

The low point was the home defeat to Hull. Losing at home to them really made me feel we were doomed.

Highs - Beating Man united was like a dream come true and the best sporting night of my life too, seeing the sky sports credits of the game (have attached here so people can relive it again lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWoeDy2deQ

and also beating Cardiff away, made us realise we can do it and what a wicked weekend away it was

Lows: loosing to the scum and loosing to birmingham at home, I wrote us off that day.

What a season so far I must say

Last edited:
Obvious highs: Stadium, Man U.

Fairly obvious high: Gower's late equaliser at home to Norwich in an utterly pulsating, end to end encounter. What an absolutely belting game that was.

Another fairly obvious high: Taking the lead at Palace with an absolute beauty of a goal from Freddy. Ooh, that felt really good.

Less obvious high: Maher's pass to Freddy at home to Coventry, with Freddy then smashing home his and our second on the night, to draw us level. Possibly the classiest moment I've seen at Roots Hall in quite some time.

Low: Going on then to lose that game to Cov, despite the fact that we'd played quite well and they'd been quite poor. Cousin Weir, ever the optimist, repeatedly said in the Spread afterwards that we were down that night, and for once, I lacked the heart or belief to argue with him.

Leon Cort's antics at Palace... although I gave him the benefit of the doubt at the time - namely that his fist-pumping in front of the away fans was an accident - perhaps I was being overly generous.

Losing to the Scum and to Hull weren't exactly highlights either, nor were listening to the reports of the Ipswich game, the last "relegation six pointer".

:(

I forgot Norwich! and half time at Palace..
A few more of both Highs and lows to come this season yet I suspect

Highs - Norwich at home, a great comeback and superb atmosphere, really had it all, Man united, even if we had lost it still would have been great and Southampton was just fantastic.

Lows - Whenever the table was up on SSN and we were bottom, hull at home was so dissapointting, as though was coventry, really poor results!

Highs:

Man Utd (particularly Ferguson's face)
Birmingham away (felt pretty low watching the P.Clarke og. go in)
Stadium and Training Ground Planning Permissions (didn't really think it would happen)

Lows:
Colchester, Duguid, FA Appeals (nuff said)
QPR away (sat in my car on the A14 until 3pm at which point I'd travelled 3 miles from Bury St Edmunds with £40 worth of tickets in my pocket; then listening to how bad we were on the radio)
Barnsley away (how bad were we? anyone else remember seeing Cole deliberately avoiding the pass from Gower by hiding behind a defender?)

By the end of the season I suspect we'll have plenty more highs to remember and you'll be able to say to people "Mitchell who?"

High Point: Half-time at Selhurst Park in August. We were deservedly 1-0 up against a team that everyone thought would be challenging for top spot, coming off the back of a well earned win at home to Stoke. I stood up, turned around and saw 2,000 Southend fans beaming in delight, all of us trying to resist voicing the possiblity of back-to-back-to-back promotion.

Well, I say all of us, as I walked up the stairs to find the loo, I walked past a very upset Dagenham Kev who was barking, "Bollocks, it's only half-time, we're ****. We'll never hold on to this. It's only August."

God, it's just occured to me that he was right.

Low Point: Ipswich at home. I don't mind losing, I don't even mind getting spanked by a much better team, as long as we give it our best. We were absolute bobbins against the Tractor Boys. They had a child in goal and no quality at all in their ranks and yet we were still awful. Everything we did that day was wrong. Players didn't chase loose balls, passes went astray, sitters went unconverted. It was a shambles.

My highs of the year would be the Stadium getting approval, beating Man Utd, Our game against West Brom when we beat them 3-1 which gave us a new belief and Tottenham away in the carling cup the atmosphere was amazing and we gave them a run for their money something we failed to achieve at their place in the FA cup.
As for my lows it definitely has to be losing 3-0 to Col U. And another time was after failing to get a point of norwich at their place after being all over them for the last 85 minutes of the game i thought that was the signal of our season as a whole and the reason why we was going down as we were failing to turn draws into wins.

There can be no higher this year than Getting Staduim approval after 20 odd years of trying ...Even if we are relagated this season ( which i doubt ) This is one Hell of a milestone season .. Ron Tilly and Brush the team what more can i say .Its onwards and upwards !:D

Losing to Hull was the lowest. I saw both the Leeds and Hull games and, knowing that we'd go bottom if we lost both, promptly saw us do it in spite of being far from the worst of the three in every department other than winning (you would have had to have seen the Leeds game to understand that!). QPR was another low too. That was the first sign of how bad we were goign to play for most of the next three months.

Highs, there's been a few. From a purely football point of view, everything in the Carling Cup. First seeing us win on the road at Bournemouth, next somehow coming from behind against Brighton (wahey), next beating Man Utd and finally the creditable performance at White Hart Lane. The other one was probably Stoke just the other day. That was exactly the sort of game we were losing earlier in the season but we gave it our all all game (fans and players to be fair) and could have won it. One moment makes an away day all worth it and you suddenly realise that Southend are going away from home to difficult places and picking up points. We really should fear no-one after the last results.

Back