• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are we going to updated by the club every time they pay a bill now.

New Statement on the OS...
Ron Martin: "I have just paid my Sainsburys credit card bill and can reveal I have amassed 232 nectar points in the last month. I'd like to thank my Mum and Dad for their support and I know this will be the end of my money issues with Sainsburys as I've just got a loan from Wonga!"

Be nice to know if the players and staff have now been paid too. Might lift the mood and the energy levels on the pitch - would also lift the embargo, and might give PS the opportunity to loan in a player or two whilst the squad is down to bare bones.

Lets face it who beleives a word the club says any more. Not me for one. So we paid a small bill, lets wait for the next one, and what about the wages being paid, the cheques bouncing, the lack of loan signings, the non-existance of our stadium.

So does this mean the embargo has been lifted?!

I wouldn't have thought so as I believe the PFA can impose an embargo if the players have not been paid. With what we have available at the moment we are surely under an embargo until the moment we see a new face through the door. Sturrock is well aware that we are short and wouldn't have left things the way they are at the moment unless his hands are being tied in my opinion.

......... until next time ?

I'm sure it will happen several more times in the future and will continue to happen until the Club are self-sufficient (won't be happening any time soon) or someone with much bigger pockets than Ron Martin replaces him.

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~2309729,00.html

"Southend United can advise supporters that there are no outstanding amounts due to HM Revenue and Customs.
HMRC issued a Winding Up petition last month when a payment was a few days late.

Written confirmation has now been received from HMRC confirming the petition will be withdrawn in the High Court on the 16th March."

Until i see this scanned up on the OS i will firmly believe its all a smokescreen :unsure:

Until i see this scanned up on the OS i will firmly believe its all a smokescreen :unsure:

I doubt very much that would happen, especially before the court date...

I have to say, as much as I don't link the current financial situation, I think they've been quite clever. They've prioritised the money where's it's been needed, and accepted an embargo as the consequences knowing that they have the power to have it lifted if and when PS needs to sign someone.

Basically, they've played the system...

Last edited:

I'd love it if my work played the system and decided not to pay me because they wanted to see if they could be self reliant for a little while. Likewise I'm sure that my landlord would be really happy. And my credit card company.

Disgusting behaviour on the part of SUFC if the staff are still to be paid, if you can't afford the staff then sadly we need to let them go. Likewise, as much as getting to youth cup games at Anfield is a nice thing, if we can't afford to sustain this development channel then it has to go. These are tough times and things are going to get tougher, we've stripped the playing side down to bare bones now, we need to do the same behind the scenes for the time being.

I doubt very much that would happen, especially before the court date...

I have to say, as much as I don't link the current financial situation, I think they've been quite clever. They've prioritised the money where's it's been needed, and accepted an embargo as the consequences knowing that they have the power to have it lifted if and when PS needs to sign someone.

If only the transfer embargo was the only consequence of not paying players - I think we all saw last season the impact it can have.

I think that if the youth set-up was causing a significant cashflow drain then it would have been axed at least a year ago. The fact that it wasn't suggests that week-to-week the Club doesn't pay much out on it. And the number of redundancies we've seen in recent times suggests that we're running little more than a skeleton staff now. Whilst there are always some savings that can be made, essentially this is us now - bleeding a six figure sum every month with seemingly little in the way of medium-term planning for how we're going to live like that.

I'd love it if my work played the system and decided not to pay me because they wanted to see if they could be self reliant for a little while. Likewise I'm sure that my landlord would be really happy. And my credit card company.

Disgusting behaviour on the part of SUFC if the staff are still to be paid, if you can't afford the staff then sadly we need to let them go. Likewise, as much as getting to youth cup games at Anfield is a nice thing, if we can't afford to sustain this development channel then it has to go. These are tough times and things are going to get tougher, we've stripped the playing side down to bare bones now, we need to do the same behind the scenes for the time being.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm not happy with the situation, but not paying HMRC and taking the consequences, and not paying players that are out on loan, (where you and I don't know what the deal re payment is) is the best way to manage a scarce resource. Obviously it would be better to have the money to pay everybody, and keep everybody happy, but if you're going to upset anyone, upset the ones that aren't immediately beneficial to you.

Sainsburys have released additional funds to the club and if we are to belive the club have settled the monies o/s to HMRC this is good new for now and as someone has already commented until next time.

But what about the other small matter of Martin Dawn being in court the same day of over winding up order, i worried about that because Sainsburyrs wont be dipping into there pockets to help RM out this time, and what is our fate should HMRC win

Hard to know what to think any more, for all we know we're 'fully up to date' with HMRC today but there's bills due tomorrow, next Wednesday and at the end of the month. It's hard not to get more and more sceptical as the months pass by.

I believe that Sainsburys release money to Roots Hall Ltd and not to the Club. From there I'd be surprised if priority no.1 wasn't to settle the liability for Martin Dawn and priorty no.2 was to do the same for the football club. But I guess we won't know for sure until the day of the Court case.

Back