• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

From HMRC- I am prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt on this one. There are so many things they are no starting to do right and HMRC are hardly apragons of virtue.

Anyhow- please not another thread on this. As we say phew- lets concentrate on the football

Because RM has taken the p**s with HMRC so often and not just with SUFC, we can expect this sort of thing to happen every time there is a dispute - simple message is that HMRC are not a bank and that well run businesses should pay their taxes on time.

RM is simply reaping the consequences of his previous actions and I fully expect this behaviour from HMRC to happen at every given opportunity that RM presents them with.

from the club or HMRC OBL?

why should the Club apologise ?

HMRC are desperate to close a football club down, yes we are near the top of the list, but we are not alone. However, before these knee jerk reactions to "you owe us this ...." no club is ever going to lose the stygma.

UTB's

Some good news today then, now where's the apology?

Before you start asking for apologies maybe it would be a good idea to find out if we have paid the additional penalty first, hence the lifting of the petition. Of course it's also possible that HMRC did make a mistake this time but looking at the rather abrupt statement on the OS it doesn't appear the club are claiming a victory in this latest dispute. Had RM got one over on HMRC I would have expected the usual drivel and spin, the silence is deafening, maybe TB will reveal all at the Q&A.

Some good news today then, now where's the apology?

From HMRC? I suspect Hell may freeze over first.
I'm sorry SUFC are in the wrong, they knew when the bill was due for payment, they apparently had the necessary readies on hand, yet they still paid the bill late. Given our past record with HMRC common sense says you pay them on the due date.

I'm just glad another round in the HMRC ring is over. Hopefully we can move on, but with debt and continued losses it's hard to believe we are out of the woods yet. But IMO the signs are promising with TB making all the right moves at a public level... I'm cautiously optimistic...:unsure:

Obl you really are a soppy old girl. Doesnt it ever cross yourMind that your club that you would give your life for. Might justDo things wrong?? No i doubt it. Women at football ha

Because RM has taken the p**s with HMRC so often and not just with SUFC, we can expect this sort of thing to happen every time there is a dispute - simple message is that HMRC are not a bank and that well run businesses should pay their taxes on time.

RM is simply reaping the consequences of his previous actions and I fully expect this behaviour from HMRC to happen at every given opportunity that RM presents them with.
Must say i agree with this,although HMRC are being arsey its little wonder with RM record of not paying on time, and the fact it never seems to be his fault.

The HMRC are just like the goverment or the opposition full of hot air . Its about time the HRMC looked at some of the big clubs who pay late I am ure there are some if not more than we know about .

From HMRC? I suspect Hell may freeze over first.
I'm sorry SUFC are in the wrong, they knew when the bill was due for payment, they apparently had the necessary readies on hand, yet they still paid the bill late. Given our past record with HMRC common sense says you pay them on the due date.
OK Canvey, "You owe me £250 and you owe me by Friday otherwise I'm taking you to court."

Doesn't feel good does it? Feel the need to question it before agreeing to pay?

People have posted on here that we know what we should be paying because it's PAYE, We tell HMRC what we owe then pay it, so there should be no excuse. But, given our recent crap record with HMRC, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that HMRC will now be doing their own sums. When they disagree with ours, you get dispute. When a bill is still under dispute, you don't pay it.

Before you start asking for apologies maybe it would be a good idea to find out if we have paid the additional penalty first, hence the lifting of the petition. Of course it's also possible that HMRC did make a mistake this time but looking at the rather abrupt statement on the OS it doesn't appear the club are claiming a victory in this latest dispute. Had RM got one over on HMRC I would have expected the usual drivel and spin, the silence is deafening, maybe TB will reveal all at the Q&A.

You raised this in the other thread but the original statement stated all along that the Club had paid every penny that HMRC were claiming for the additional penalty. They hadn't originally wanted to pay it, but as soon as HMRC slapped in the petition they sent over the balance between the overpayment (PAYE + what the Club felt the fine should be) and what HMRC were claiming.

I do understand why the Club feel picked on by HMRC. Yes, RM & Co have taken the **** consistently but on the other hand it's worth remembering that unlike several dozen football clubs up and down the country, Southend United have paid every penny of their tax obligations over the past decade. It's been paid ridiculously late at times but it has been paid.

OK Canvey, "You owe me £250 and you owe me by Friday otherwise I'm taking you to court."

Doesn't feel good does it? Feel the need to question it before agreeing to pay?

People have posted on here that we know what we should be paying because it's PAYE, We tell HMRC what we owe then pay it, so there should be no excuse. But, given our recent crap record with HMRC, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that HMRC will now be doing their own sums. When they disagree with ours, you get dispute. When a bill is still under dispute, you don't pay it.

Fair enough, but we've been told in the past by the club that they've overpaid or HMRC have made a miscalculation, have we had arefund? Not that I've heard of which makes HMRC right and SUFC wrong. HMRC do make mistakes and do make refunds when proven to be wrong, as yet SUFC have to prove them wrong.

Canvey, HMRC refunds take years to get back. I am still waiting for one that dates to 2007. That's why you don't pay until the bill is agreed, cos you lose the money for a hell of a long time without interest in the mean time.

Canvey, HMRC refunds take years to get back. I am still waiting for one that dates to 2007. That's why you don't pay until the bill is agreed, cos you lose the money for a hell of a long time without interest in the mean time.

Not always the case and depending on which area of HMRC, I deal with Customs on pretty much a daily basis for my sins. The point with football clubs is that since Leeds defaulted HMRC are seeking to make an example of a football club IMO, and that means serial late payers like us, Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday etc are in their sights.

Back