• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News HMRC Winding-Up Petition - Wed 17th May 2023 - ADJOURNED TO 12th JULY

So with the accounts hurdle cleared is it now paying all creditors inc HMRC by Monday that is next?

The other interesting thing I noticed in the accounts, which like the above may or may not be related to the negotiations, is that they clearly state there is an intention to continue funding the academy.
I think in the same sentence it says the club as well. And isn't it prefixed by "generally". Seemed strange wording. And judging by how the funding of the club is going I don't hold out hope for the academy

Annoys the hell out of me that some club employees that must be really struggling to make ends meet whilst continuing to give their all during these unprecedented times.

Meanwhile Mr Martin seemingly continuing to live in opulence & be seen at swanky restaurants.

Ron Martin, you should apologise & hang your head in shame for the place you have brought our club to. Shocking 😡

Annoys the hell out of me that some club employees that must be really struggling to make ends meet whilst continuing to give their all during these unprecedented times.

Meanwhile Mr Martin seemingly continuing to live in opulence & be seen at swanky restaurants.

Ron Martin, you should apologise & hang your head in shame for the place you have brought our club to. Shock

March, April and now May according to Chris Phillips. 25% of a year, not receiving your wages is absolutely criminal. How he has legally got away with that I don't know.

March, April and now May according to Chris Phillips. 25% of a year, not receiving your wages is absolutely criminal. How he has legally got away with that I don't know.
I said to my dad how annoyed and perplexed I would feel as a new owner having to backdate all of those salaries (I presume they are) when it was the previous owners duty to do so. How on earth has he got away with this? All those bonuses he promised them for sticking with the club etc. It's truly sickening the way he has conducted himself and he has well and truly crucified any self-perceived legacy that he wanted to leave behind. He walks away with our side in its lowest position in its history with crippling debt and staff without salaries to put food on the table. An amazing tenure to look back on Mr Martin.

One thing is for sure, the bond between staff/playing staff and fans can only grow from this. Those amazing employees have stuck by this club through thick and thin and behaved professional throughout. I'm sure they all wanted to behave like the sponsor at times and they haven't. They've remained dignified during the whole process. The players too. They all could have publicly tried to abandon ship the moment the final whistle went on the last day of the season, understandably so. However, they've respected the club to the hilt. They all have my utmost respect and I'm sure if the majority stay, the atmosphere between us all will be incredible next season.

Last edited:
We have some really loyal people that work for the club. I'm guessing that they have been promised recognition of that loyalty plus a thank you bonus. Hopefully that will have come from Tom as the snake at the top is incapable of anything approaching sympathy for his employees.

What says it all for me is how many former Southend players gave their time and put themselves out on a Bank Holiday weekend to support James, a former team mate. Yes, I know it was to benefit James and his recovery, but if there was not an underlying love of the club I am sure we would have had 2 Farke Knight Rises teams... And if I am right, every one of them will have had some shocking experiences of working under Ron's pretty appalling tenure - and yet they still turned up, gave their all for the cause and proudly pulled on their shirts as Southend Legends!

The love of the club shone out from everyone concerned on Sunday. And every time you head into the ticket office. Or speak to anyone on the phone. Community, and commitment. That is what this club is all about, and that is what Ron never understood and does not deserve any credit for!

In combination with the amazing support from Sunday's sponsors and the Shrimpers Trust, the former Southend players truly are legends in what has to have been some of the darkest periods in the Club's history. Maybe we need to change the name of SUEPA from "ex" Southend to "forever" Southend!

Lets hope the deal, no matter its shape and scale, gets over the line very soon and every single loyal member of staff is rewarded with a properly financed and managed club as soon as possible.

Ron martin and anton johnson sing from the same sheet Lets destroy southend united lets work together

Ron Martin, you should apologise & hang your head in shame for the place you have brought our club to. Shocking 😡
I absolutely agree. It is a disgraceful situation. As Chairman, RM must accept the primary responsibility for the way club employees have not been paid for months. But the Board of Directors - some of whom have deep pockets - and local MPs (some of whom have reportedly accepted donations from the Chairman) do not come out of this shabby period in the club's history smelling of roses either.

I absolutely agree. It is a disgraceful situation. As Chairman, RM must accept the primary responsibility for the way club employees have not been paid for months. But the Board of Directors - some of whom have deep pockets - and local MPs (some of whom have reportedly accepted donations from the Chairman) do not come out of this shabby period in the club's history smelling of roses either.
I would suggest you look at the filed Accounts and you will see the Directors are owed quite large sums of money.

Ron martin and anton johnson sing from the same sheet Lets destroy southend united lets work together

Would love to know what Duddridge did for his 3k donation.

I would suggest you look at the filed Accounts and you will see the Directors are owed quite large sums of money.
Thanks Thundersley Blue. I was unaware of that information. But given the Directors are owed significant sums by the club, they still have a responsibility as Directors to make sure the employees of Southend United are properly looked after (ie have their wages paid on time).

Back