• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hodgson named Liverpool boss

Good move, really ?

Ok, Fulham had a great cup run but if they hadn't Liverpool wouldn't be looking twice at him.

What did Fulham achieve in the league ?

Has disaster written all over it if you ask me.

Good move, really ?

Ok, Fulham had a great cup run but if they hadn't Liverpool wouldn't be looking twice at him.

Roy Hodgson has been highly respected within the game for a number of years - the good work at Fulham is a continuation rather than a flash in the pan. Like Napster, I'd also like to see him fill Capello's shoes one day soon...

Roy Hodgson has been highly respected within the game for a number of years - the good work at Fulham is a continuation rather than a flash in the pan. Like Napster, I'd also like to see him fill Capello's shoes one day soon...

I'm not doubting that. But after last season Liverpool are going to want instant success and I can't see him having a lot of monies to spend.

I'm not doubting that. But after last season Liverpool are going to want instant success and I can't see him having a lot of monies to spend.

Agreed, but having no money to spend probably takes some of the pressure off, and all the good managers make the best of what they've got. As far as instant success, surely even the most demented Liverpool fan would measure success as doing better than a) last season, b) Everton...

Not surprised. Great manager, but it will take time to sort out the mess Rafa and the owners have put themselves in.

Also, Roy's aim for last season was to gain a respectable finish in the league and get a good cup run, final of the Europa Cup, quarter final of the FA Cup and mid-table in the Premiership, while playing over 60 matches this season.

When he took over, Fulham were all but down and he kept them up, in the next season he finished 7th (IIRC), so you can't doubt that he can do it in the league.

Should be a good move imho if he's given time to rebuild the club, because it's a shambles now. Too many crap players & no youth players being brought through, Hodgson will soon change that. Wouldn't mind betting Hangeland goes to Liverpool. Hodgeson rebuilt Inter Milan in the mid 90's, he can do the same again. Liverpool fans seem underwhelmed, not sure what they were expecting, they've not got a pot to **** in.

Good move, really ?

when he joined Fulham, they were in the relegation zone. He saved them, and the following season he got them to 7th in the league (their highest ever finish). They got the Europa League spot, and then last season took them to the Final, as well as finishing a very respectable 12th.

A fantastic achievement by a top quality manager.

when he joined Fulham, they were in the relegation zone. He saved them, and the following season he got them to 7th in the league (their highest ever finish). They got the Europa League spot, and then last season took them to the Final, as well as finishing a very respectable 12th.

A fantastic achievement by a top quality manager.

Again, I'm not doubting his managerial credentials but it's the yanks and the fans that will want it to happen over night.

He needs the money to spend, they've never replaced Alonso and there are far too many average players in the side, when Torres and Gerrard don't play they look very beatable.

He has a big job on his hands and he needs to be given time.

Again, I'm not doubting his managerial credentials but it's the yanks and the fans that will want it to happen over night.

He needs the money to spend, they've never replaced Alonso and there are far too many average players in the side, when Torres and Gerrard don't play they look very beatable.

Good point, but at Fulham, did they have the perfect squad when he took charge? Did he have a big budget to fix it with? The answer to both is no and he still managed to get the, to 7th and 12th as well as the Europa League Final from a relegation spot when he took charge.

He said in an interview he had one last big job in him.... which I guess is Liverpool.
He must be early 60's by now?
62, and apparently looks it! Was it someone on here that said he looked like he'd had a stroke?

62, and apparently looks it! Was it someone on here that said he looked like he'd had a stroke?

Some of his pictures aren't the best ....

200px-RoyHodgson.JPG

You asked "what has he achieved in the league?". In my opinion, a huge amount.

He has international and high level pedigree (with Inter) and so will be able to deal with the superstars. Also having been around the block, and I'm sure he wasn't short of opportunities, I think he he knows what he's letting himself in for.

Good point, but at Fulham, did they have the perfect squad when he took charge? Did he have a big budget to fix it with? The answer to both is no and he still managed to get the, to 7th and 12th as well as the Europa League Final from a relegation spot when he took charge.

Fulham's expectations won't have been as big. After he kept them up of course when that seemed virtually impossible.

Back