• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hodgson next England Manager

When he was at Liverpool he had to cope with the unrealistic expectations of a fan base living off past glories, whilst coping with a group of overpaid players who didn't seem to give a damn.

Sounds like he's got the perfect experience

Think this is a decent move on reflection, the last thing England needs is a recently acquitted wide boy, who the press will climb all over at the first run of bad results.

I get the impression that Woy is widely respected in football circles bar Liverpool, where is was horribly tucked up by that slag Dalgleish; who, if memory serves me right, recommended himself as the obvious choice when conducting a search for the board to find Benitez successor.

As his contract is up at the end of the season, it looks to me like they've just gone for the cheap option. First thought? What a joke.

To be fair has a very good record in international management, including getting Switzerland to third in the world rankings.

This is a big mistake imo. I don't see Redknapp ever being the England manager if he doesn't get it now and i'm just thinking its Brian Clough all over again.

The fact is with the media and the english fans no one will ever be happy. We cried out for an Englishman when Sven left, we got Mclaren. We then cried out for a real top class manager, we got Capello. The 'popular' choice often turns out to be the wrong man. Harry is everyones favourite but he has won nothing in his career, has never managed abroad or taken control of an international team. Hodgson ticks all the boxes as far as Im concerned. As has been mentioned he took Switzerland to their first world cup in 30 odd years and nearly got Finland qualified. If he can do well with those limited resources could he not do well with our squad of players who arent the best in the world but by no mean the worst. His time at Liverpool was not great admittedly and he bought some rubbish but he wont have the problem of buying and selling with England. Expectations are fairly low at the moment with England and this is great time to blood some young players and prepare for the World cup in 2014.

I'm pleased with Hodgson, I like him as a coach and manager and I think Liverpool was his first real failure. He's tactically sensible, stern but supportive, and after his Liverpool experiences I reckon he'll look to let the yoof express themselves and won't lean too heavily on the golden generation.

Has international management experience and isn't liked by Liverpool fans. Two big pluses there.

getting Switzerland to third in the world rankings.

As a 'younger' supporter I didn't believe my eyes, but you're spot on re: their FIFA rankings. Higher than England have achieved too!!

Switzerland FIFA Rankings http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=sui/ranking/gender=m/index.html
England FIFA Rankings http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=eng/ranking/gender=m/index.html

Unbelievable Jeff!

Still not convinced he's the man for the job though. I'd be much cheaper. :winking:

Does nobody else think the fa are showing a complete lack of ambition here? I think they're thinking why hire redknapp and pay out a large sum in compensation when we can get hodgson for nothing who i imagine wont ask for the world in his contract who will probably achieve what redknapp can with the current group of players we have....nothing. So we'll hire hodgson for 4 years by which time hopefully we'll have a better set of players or players who have matured and improved and then hire somebody with higher quality than hodgson who can deliver something as hodgson will probably retire by then.

What's wrong with you all?

Easily the most qualified Englishman for the job.

With the European Championships coming up he has the most experience in European club football of any English manager - this includes stints with Inter Milan and long European cup runs with deeply unfancied teams like Fulham, Malmo and Xamax.

He has significant international experience, including tournament football, when he did a terrific job with Switerzerland. He's probably the most successful manager of not just Switzerland but also Finland.

He's not Mourinho, but no Englishman is.

Other than having the media in his brown-enveloped filled back-pocket he ticks every box you could want:

• Vastly experienced in European football
  • International management experience
  • Experience of tournament football
  • Makes most of resources available
  • Isn't 'Arry Redknapp

To be fair Yorkshire Blue, the only person who seems against his appointment in this thread so far is myself.

This is a big mistake imo. I don't see Redknapp ever being the England manager if he doesn't get it now and i'm just thinking its Brian Clough all over again.

You're right - it's Brian Clough all over again.

Redknapp really should have been given the job after winning the league title with Southampton - having already won it with West Ham. If that wasn't enough, the back-to-back European Cups he then won with Southampton should have really clinched it.

I can't believe the FA would make the same mistake twice.

The one big luxury Hodgson will have which no England manager has had for quite some time is little to no expection for the euro's and the world cup that will follow that. It's a no lose situation for him.

What's wrong with you all?

Easily the most qualified Englishman for the job.

With the European Championships coming up he has the most experience in European club football of any English manager - this includes stints with Inter Milan and long European cup runs with deeply unfancied teams like Fulham, Malmo and Xamax.

He has significant international experience, including tournament football, when he did a terrific job with Switerzerland. He's probably the most successful manager of not just Switzerland but also Finland.

He's not Mourinho, but no Englishman is.

Other than having the media in his brown-enveloped filled back-pocket he ticks every box you could want:

• Vastly experienced in European football
  • International management experience
  • Experience of tournament football
  • Makes most of resources available
  • Isn't 'Arry Redknapp

This is spot on.

Sadly I fear he won't get a fair crack by the media and English public because he's not glamorous and recently managed a club with the most moronic fanbase in the world. The same media and English public (many of whom form part of said moronic fanbase) will therefore once again get everything they deserve from the England national team this summer: Nothing.

The one big luxury Hodgson will have which no England manager has had for quite some time is little to no expection for the euro's and the world cup that will follow that. It's a no lose situation for him.

Absolutely, and let's hope he doesn't lose and we do a Greece or Denmark!

The Euros is a strange old tournament because you don't need to win that many games to win it. If you get a decent defensive base and are dangerous at set pieces (come back Beckham!) then you have a real shot. Get through the groups and we're a penalty shoot-out and a piece of Rooney magic from the finals.

Back