• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Holiday thread 2018

Agreed, probably the worst european capital city to drive in (maybe with the possible exception of Rome).

Agreed, probably the worst european capital city to drive in (maybe with the possible exception of Rome).
Rome is not a driving problem. Parking can be a nightmare. The only issue with driving in Rome is that you need to drive in the Rome way and then no problem.
Now Paris IS awful.

When did simple stag nights turn into stag-expensive-overseas-holidays? I couldn't for the life of me afford anything on that scale - my mate is mentioning Newcastle for his, and even that puts me off.

As for holidays - Devon this year, possibly Morocco next as it's a big one for the wife and we need to go somewhere warm in April.
Yeah it seems like that is the norm now and it is expensive! I haven't really done a big holiday for a few years now so that's how I'm justifying it. It's just worked out that a lot of my close friends are getting married this year so can't really miss any of it.

Week in Menorca with the family in July.

Got a few decent work trips coming up where I'll hopefully get a day or two of tourist time.

Last edited:
Vegas has been mentioned a few times but now most of us have children we've had to knock it back! Did Barcelona about five years ago and had a blast. Went to Budapest for a mate's wedding - some of the lads went out the night before and really got stung so be wary of where you drink!
Cheers for the advice. It's through a Stag do company, Chillisauce I think, (I wouldn't have done it that way if I was best man but there you go) and they've organised a few pub crawls etc. so hopefully we wont get stung.

Cheers for the advice. It's through a Stag do company, Chillisauce I think, (I wouldn't have done it that way if I was best man but there you go) and they've organised a few pub crawls etc. so hopefully we wont get stung.

Ah cool - that should help prevent that then.

It's a great city to mooch around - obviously a stag trip is all about the boozing, but if you do get the chance to take the funicular up to the castle area it is well worth it.

Latest work trip confirmed - two days in our Cyprus offices in June. Arriving June 18th.

Anyone know any good places to watch the football in Nicosia?

Benidorm in June for the annual Priory Sports FC weekend away. What looks like it is going to be a ridiculously successful year we have 16 lads signed up so far and I'm pretty sure it'll be 20+. 1st team look like they are going to win the Chelmsford sunday league premier division and are in the semi final of the Coward cup, Final of the league cup and final of the Essex Premier cup. Reserves look like they are going to win Div 1 and are in the final of the Gillot trophy and the Div 1 league cup. Could be a very boozy celebratory affair. We are there the weekend England play Panama.

In a trade off with the other half I am going to Naples and Capri with her in July

Calabria for us this May/June.
When we go to Italy we have always gone Rome or further north (either coast side) so we are expecting to see a different country.
Dorset in July near Blandford Forum, lovely county.
And hopefully a week in Greece in September/October.
Love the summer!

Our younger daughter's just come back from there.She (and her boyfriend) enjoyed it immensely.

Cannot hear the words "stag do company" without thanking of the Gavin & Stacey episode with Lammy...."One word - Prague, Two words - **** up, One word - Tits."

Ah.... a holiday thread!!! For those that have me on Facebook or sit with me on TZ know I try to get away at least once a month. (and I worked in Brussels quite a bit last year)

November... Tallinn and Helsinki. Tallinn has a fantastic little old town. Its packed full of architecture (if you like that kind of stuff) and history. It's really cheap, which is always a bonus. A day trip to Helsinki. I reckon its fantastic in the summer months, but it is expensive. Some more magnificent architecture - albeit much more recent than Tallinn!! Drunk Russians on the ferry back. Never much fun.... f

December - Prague for the Xmas Markets. Didn't get to see it all, so am going back in June (thank you Flybe £30 return!) Charles Bridge, Old Town both exceptional sites. Bit disappointed in Wencleslas Square (partly because of the scaffolding).

Started off 2018 with a week in Cape Verde. If you like sitting by a pool, in the sun, doing nothing.... then this is the place. However, the island of Boavista is just a rock in the ocean with hardly anyone living there. So not a great if you want to go on trips etc. A solid 28 degrees, slightly windy and red flag all week.

February... Naples. It rained. Constantly. Sorrento would probably be fantastic, if it wasn't raining and cloudy. Pompeii, fantastic, even in the rain. Naples itself has some lovely bits to the west, but some of it is more than iffy.... I might give it another go when the weather is likely to be better.

March... Berlin & Szczecin. A bit of flying visit to Berlin, got my phone nicked at the bus station. Bit disappointed with the Brandenburg Gate, expected more. Stayed outside Checkpoint Charlie. Its odd that you get the "tourist" side of the Berlin Wall only a few steps away from memorials to people who were shot by the East Germans crossing the wall..... Then it was off to Szczecin by Flix bus (for less than a fiver). Poland is great. Cheap as chips. Five star hotel for next to nothing. Unlike most Polish places I've been, it didn't have an old town, but it did have some more than its fair share of interesting things. If you ever go, just follow the red line on the pavement. Takes you everywhere you need to see.

April.... Koln & Bonn. Back to Germany. Koln is awesome. I wasn't quite expecting that. The cathedral is up there with the best things I've seen. Did a decent cruise down the Rhine. Spent an afternoon in Bonn, which is the home of Beethoven. But it has a lovely little town square, and like Koln is set against the Rhine. Weather really made this a very good few days. Oh, and I discovered currywurst.

Next, Venice in a fortnight and back to Prague in June. Have a crazy plan to bus from Switzerland to Luxembourg, via Heidelberg and Metz, in July. A week in Turkey in September (hope it doesn't clash with Sunderland away!!)

April.... Koln & Bonn. Back to Germany. Koln is awesome. I wasn't quite expecting that. The cathedral is up there with the best things I've seen. Did a decent cruise down the Rhine. Spent an afternoon in Bonn, which is the home of Beethoven. But it has a lovely little town square, and like Koln is set against the Rhine. Weather really made this a very good few days. Oh, and I discovered currywurst.

Some great trips there LF. didn't want to quote the whole post as it was a long one, but I loved Koln as well. Been there on a couple of stag dos and while it's great for all the usual stag stuff, we managed to do some sightseeing too; including a very civil bike tour of the city! On weekends like that, it takes plenty to shut up a load of blokes, but stepping in to the Dom certainly did the trick. Awe inspiring.

Although there was one tiresome oaf (groom's friend, not mine) who just wouldn't shut up the whole weekend about "the last time my family were here it was my Granddad and he was 30,000ft above the city". He also hated football, calling it a sport for softies in that superior way some RU fans like to. Doubt I'll see him again and if I do it'll be too soon.

Although there was one tiresome oaf (groom's friend, not mine) who just wouldn't shut up the whole weekend about "the last time my family were here it was my Granddad and he was 30,000ft above the city". He also hated football, calling it a sport fror softies in that superior way some RU fans like to. Doubt I'll see him again and if I do it'll be too soon.

Is he now a Tory MP?

Ah.... a holiday thread!!! For those that have me on Facebook or sit with me on TZ know I try to get away at least once a month. (and I worked in Brussels quite a bit last year)

November... Tallinn and Helsinki. Tallinn has a fantastic little old town. Its packed full of architecture (if you like that kind of stuff) and history. It's really cheap, which is always a bonus. A day trip to Helsinki. I reckon its fantastic in the summer months, but it is expensive. Some more magnificent architecture - albeit much more recent than Tallinn!! Drunk Russians on the ferry back. Never much fun.... f

December - Prague for the Xmas Markets. Didn't get to see it all, so am going back in June (thank you Flybe £30 return!) Charles Bridge, Old Town both exceptional sites. Bit disappointed in Wencleslas Square (partly because of the scaffolding).

Started off 2018 with a week in Cape Verde. If you like sitting by a pool, in the sun, doing nothing.... then this is the place. However, the island of Boavista is just a rock in the ocean with hardly anyone living there. So not a great if you want to go on trips etc. A solid 28 degrees, slightly windy and red flag all week.

February... Naples. It rained. Constantly. Sorrento would probably be fantastic, if it wasn't raining and cloudy. Pompeii, fantastic, even in the rain. Naples itself has some lovely bits to the west, but some of it is more than iffy.... I might give it another go when the weather is likely to be better.

March... Berlin & Szczecin. A bit of flying visit to Berlin, got my phone nicked at the bus station. Bit disappointed with the Brandenburg Gate, expected more. Stayed outside Checkpoint Charlie. Its odd that you get the "tourist" side of the Berlin Wall only a few steps away from memorials to people who were shot by the East Germans crossing the wall..... Then it was off to Szczecin by Flix bus (for less than a fiver). Poland is great. Cheap as chips. Five star hotel for next to nothing. Unlike most Polish places I've been, it didn't have an old town, but it did have some more than its fair share of interesting things. If you ever go, just follow the red line on the pavement. Takes you everywhere you need to see.

Next, Venice in a fortnight and back to Prague in June. Have a crazy plan to bus from Switzerland to Luxembourg, via Heidelberg and Metz, in July. A week in Turkey in September (hope it doesn't clash with Sunderland away!!)

Berlin is ace. Might go back later in year- ps yes currywurst is the best. Herman Ze German do decent ones in London.

I seem to have booked myself a couple of days in Transylvania at the end of May. Oradea, which was recommended by a Hungarian colleague of mine who works with me in Brussels from time to time. Sadly, it seems Ryan Air are pretty much shutting down their Romanian hub, and this looks to be the last chance I'll get to visit it.

Three city breaks in a month. Its a hard life.....

One of my favourite holidays places to visit, been so many times and never get bored, you should try Heracleum smaller than Pompeii and I found more interesting, just a short train ride from Sorrento main station, plus they have a decent football team to watch only three side of a stadium though, the fourth side is a road :smile:, so when the ball gets kicked out its very funny to watch

Back