• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Holly or Hollie?

Options?

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Mrs DtS now has just under four week before little DtS arrives. All scans have been very positive and were both keen to get on with the arrival.

We found out really early on thats its a girl which was a plus really as we cant agree for love nor money on a boys name.

Anyway were now getting close to the birth and of course names are becoming more and more of an issue. Mrs DtS and I agreed the name Holly ages ago and were both still really happy with it.

However Mrs DtS last week put a spanner in the works saying she wants to spell it "Hollie" rather than "Holly". The reason being her name is Lucie and she likes the "ie" ending to the name.

Personally I think an "ie" ending looking crap compared to a "y" ending.

I open it to the floor. Which one is marginally better than the other.

Definitely Holly with out a shadow of a doubt Dave.....plus the little one will fit in with the season mate

I'm with her on this one, the "ie" version of many "y" names is popular these days, and personally, the ordinary spelling is forever associated with the tragic Holly Wells case.

with a y all day long.know a couple of lasses with that name and both are called "h"as a shortened version,which i think is pretty cool.

Yep, have to go with the 'y' version as well. And Kay, I didn't even think of Holly Wells!

Holly Willoughby, Holly Valance, Buddy Holl... oh

I'm with her on this one, the "ie" version of many "y" names is popular these days, and personally, the ordinary spelling is forever associated with the tragic Holly Wells case.

Call me old fashioned but to me Holly is forever associated with Christmas

As long as the little un does not hang around until November (when calling her Holly may sound a bit corny) I would go with the traditional spelling.

Call me old fashioned but to me Holly is forever associated with Christmas

As long as the little un does not hang around until November (when calling her Holly may sound a bit corny) I would go with the traditional spelling.

I agree, when I read Dave's post, the thoughts that came into my head were of Christmas and a holly bush, Holly Wells was never anywhere near. The word holly is used every Christmas. I don't think you can say that the word is now forever associated with tragedy. If it was, then Dave and his Mrs wouldn't have chosen it in the first place. What about all the girls/women who are called Holly? They haven't gone and changed the spelling of their name!

Definitely go for Holly, Dave. The "ie" version makes you look like uneducated chavs who can't spell!

definitely with a Y the other way seems a bit stripperish to me

What he said. 'ie' is the chav version.

Definitely go for Holly, Dave. The "ie" version makes you look like uneducated chavs who can't spell!

Mate,

Bit harsh, but I've got to agree with them. Probably wrong but whenever I come across a trendy/incorrectly spelled name, my first thought is "Ahhh, so you have illiterate parents then?"

Even though I understand why the missus is looking at the "ie", it still smacks of "Why don't we show everyone how clever we are(n't) by spelling it like this?"

One part of me then thinks **** what other people think and call her what you want, but a kid's name's got to be more important than that.

Good luck mate!!

Mate,

Bit harsh, but I've got to agree with them. Probably wrong but whenever I come across a trendy/incorrectly spelled name, my first thought is "Ahhh, so you have illiterate parents then?"

Even though I understand why the missus is looking at the "ie", it still smacks of "Why don't we show everyone how clever we are(n't) by spelling it like this?"

One part of me then thinks **** what other people think and call her what you want, but a kid's name's got to be more important than that.

Good luck mate!!

Good comments South Bank Hankie.

Holly, just. The only girl of that name I've ever known personally though, as I went right through school with her, was with an ie so I'm more used to that.

Plus I'm with the Aberdeen way of thinking about the time of year approaching. ;)

I think if you name her Hollie she'll spend her entire life corrected people and fuming when she recieves a letter (should things still exist in the future...) spelt incorrectly.

think MK's right, she'll probably change it as soon as she gets so old anyway (like a nickname)..

but, i'd go with the original Holly

:)

I think if you name her Hollie she'll spend her entire life corrected people and fuming when she recieves a letter (should things still exist in the future...) spelt incorrectly.

My Stepdaughters name is Vikki and she spent her school years correcting teachers , one in paricular insisted on calling her Victoria ...

Mind you my daughter, Carly, still has to tell people ins not Kylie

Back