• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
Found this interesting.

We currently sit 9th in the table on home record and 2nd in the league away.

In the 2011/2012 season, our best season since relegation to League Two we finished top of the away table and 7th in the home table.

So some similarities there, both managers doing well on the road in most ways. Sturrock did get an extra point at home yet won more games away than he did at Roots Hall.

Home record:

Brown : P14 W6 D6 L2 PTS 24 Points per game : 1.71
Sturrock: P23 W12 D6 L5 PTS 42 Points per game : 1.83

Away record:

Brown : P14 W8 D2 L4 PTS 26 Points per game : 1.85
Sturrock: P23 W13 D2 L8 PTS 41 Points per game : 1.78

Total points per game:

Brown :1.79
Sturrock : 1:80

So not surprisingly our home form isn't quite as good and those draws are costing us, yet our away record is at the moment better than back then, and we finished that season top of the away table.

Surprised though that we are on course to beat Sturrocks away record should things carry on as they are.

If we can maintain our away form we just need to bump our home record. Maybe scoring some goals at home would help that.

If we can maintain our away form we just need to bump our home record. Maybe scoring some goals at home would help that.

We can start with a win against the Shrews on Saturday. Won't be easy, but surely it won't be another Wycombe....?

We can start with a win against the Shrews on Saturday. Won't be easy, but surely it won't be another Wycombe....?

Shrewsbury are unbeaten at home this season, winning 12 out of 14 and scoring 29 in the process (best in the league) and only conceding 5 (joint best with us).

Found this interesting.

We currently sit 9th in the table on home record and 2nd in the league away.

In the 2011/2012 season, our best season since relegation to League Two we finished top of the away table and 7th in the home table.

So some similarities there, both managers doing well on the road in most ways. Sturrock did get an extra point at home yet won more games away than he did at Roots Hall.

Home record:

Brown : P14 W6 D6 L2 PTS 24 Points per game : 1.71
Sturrock: P23 W12 D6 L5 PTS 42 Points per game : 1.83

Away record:

Brown : P14 W8 D2 L4 PTS 26 Points per game : 1.85
Sturrock: P23 W13 D2 L8 PTS 41 Points per game : 1.78

Total points per game:

Brown :1.79
Sturrock : 1:80

So not surprisingly our home form isn't quite as good and those draws are costing us, yet our away record is at the moment better than back then, and we finished that season top of the away table.

Surprised though that we are on course to beat Sturrocks away record should things carry on as they are.

We we only need then 33 points from 18 games and around another 40 goals( not checked)to match Luggys record !

We we only need then 33 points from 18 games and around another 40 goals( not checked)to match Luggys record !

To match his points total will require 1.83 points per game for the rest of the season, which is .04 points per game than we have achieved so far.

It wont be easy as we do need to improve a decent record, but then to hit 81 points we only have to get 1.72 points per game, and that might end up being enough for promotion even if it doesn't match Sturrocks tally, but is less than we have already achieved.

Shrewsbury are unbeaten at home this season, winning 12 out of 14 and scoring 29 in the process (best in the league) and only conceding 5 (joint best with us).

Sadly I dont think we will be doing our points per game much good against them.!

I think moving to 4-4-2 in recent weeks will help the home form (I appreciate that that hasn't happened yet). Both PB & PS's teams looked naturally more comfortable away from home and both struggle to break sides down when they come to Roots Hall looking for a point.

Sadly I dont think we will be doing our points per game much good against them.!

From the remaining 9 home games, 6 are against those in the bottom half. We should be aiming for maximum points from these 6 (obviously!) but 14 points (4 wins & 2 draws) would be acceptable. Wycombe, Luton and Newport are the others and would say 2 points (2 draws & 1 defeat) would be acceptable. That would leave us with a total home tally of 40.

From the remaining 9 away games, 6 are against those in the top half. As pointed out several times, our record against those in the top half isn't great, in fact 1 point from 5 away games will tell the story. Shrewsbury and Burton have very impressive home records so expecting tough games there, but I think the other 4 we should go expecting to pick up at least 6 points, even if one is against Morecambe on the final day. Of course, we should be expecting 3 wins against those in the bottom half. That would leave us with a total home tally of 41.

A tally of 81 that could leave us with, although we could (and possibly should) get more than that.

From the remaining 9 home games, 6 are against those in the bottom half. We should be aiming for maximum points from these 6 (obviously!) but 14 points (4 wins & 2 draws) would be acceptable. Wycombe, Luton and Newport are the others and would say 2 points (2 draws & 1 defeat) would be acceptable. That would leave us with a total home tally of 40.

From the remaining 9 away games, 6 are against those in the top half. As pointed out several times, our record against those in the top half isn't great, in fact 1 point from 5 away games will tell the story. Shrewsbury and Burton have very impressive home records so expecting tough games there, but I think the other 4 we should go expecting to pick up at least 6 points, even if one is against Morecambe on the final day. Of course, we should be expecting 3 wins against those in the bottom half. That would leave us with a total home tally of 41.

A tally of 81 that could leave us with, although we could (and possibly should) get more than that.

That is a worry, Im expecting our away points per game to take a bit of a nose dive then, so we certainly need to up our home form.

That is a worry, Im expecting our away points per game to take a bit of a nose dive then, so we certainly need to up our home form.

Yes it would be pretty poor if we can't improve our home form when we are playing teams in the bottom half. Our home record against those in the bottom half reads 4 wins, 2 draws & 1 defeat, including Northampton as they are level on points with 13th place. So it isn't inconceivable to expect 4 wins & 2 draws in those home games.

In that post I predicted:

Home: 16 points from 9 home games giving us 1.78 points per game - up from 1.71 via your 1st post.
Away: 15 points from 9 away games giving us 1.67 points per game - down from 1.85 via your 1st post.

I still don't think we have to drop too many points if the necessary tweak is made. I am not so bothered about the formation as much as I am the personnel. Whether its now 4-4-2 or not we have started to find the net. A lot of which I am sure is down to forward movement.

A lot is made of our away form but with due respect we have still not looked the real deal. Home and away a number of players, the majority, seem to be playing within themselves. Is it an unexplained anomaly or down to instructions? I really do not know. When did we last attribute the word 'marauding' to one of our players or talked about free flowing football? Hurst is way off his best, Lenny is a shadow of himself and the list goes on. Perhaps, and its only a suggestion, the side needs to be reined in less.

Leonard said himself with the new formation he now has license to get forward more. He was terrible on Saturday, so its not as simple as player instructions.

The way we have played can certainly be debated and criticised, but what I found interesting per my first post, is that however people perceive the way the team plays the end result is very close to Sturrocks point wise. (which people complained about as well).

If we continue with the same form as we have displayed so far this season we are due, performance and style aside, to finish with 80+ points.

Thats what I was surprised at.

Towards the end of the season , it's the 'mid table' sides I'd prefer to play rather than those near the bottom.
You always get a few sides that have been dire all season who suddenly start to fight a bit more.

Both PB & PS's teams looked naturally more comfortable away from home and both struggle to break sides down when they come to Roots Hall looking for a point.

Fully agree. It shows how teams take a very different approach to playing us at Roots Hall. We need to adapt to that.

We've played two of the top teams away from home so far, and was dicked 4-1 by Wycombe and embarrassed 2-0 by Luton.

Back