• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Home brew

Pubey

Really excited about getting a home brew kit for my birthday. I used to make wine with my Dad when younger which was good fun. Got a cellar in the new house so gonna set up a little home brew production line in time for some Christmas parties.

Anyone else into make beer/cider/wine? Any tips? Gonna try an IPA first I think. 40 pints all for me!

My mate Ben made a home brew called Ferret's Crotch when we were at university. I've never tasted a ferret's crotch, but I feel he had the name about right.

Really excited about getting a home brew kit for my birthday. I used to make wine with my Dad when younger which was good fun. Got a cellar in the new house so gonna set up a little home brew production line in time for some Christmas parties.

Anyone else into make beer/cider/wine? Any tips? Gonna try an IPA first I think. 40 pints all for me!

Good luck. Beer is perishable so you've got about a three day window to drink it before it goes stale and gets sent to Wetherspoons.

Making some quince wine at the moment, bought all the gear, using quinces from the garden. Should be enough for 6 wine bottles. Still fermenting - another week and it can be put in the demijohn.

The lads and I are having a come dine with me style challenge for new years eve. If it only have a three day window then I think I need to work hard on my timings...

The lads and I are having a come dine with me style challenge for new years eve. If it only have a three day window then I think I need to work hard on my timings...

With cask beers, they undergo a secondary fermentation in the cellar. Prior to this you get a shelf life of a few weeks if i recall correctly, though once scotched, tapped and spiled, you're generally looking at a few days before the beer starts to deteriorate (for a standard 4-4.5% abv brew). I'm not sure if there's any way of using this process with a home brew (I looked after beer, rather than brewing it)

Alternatively, stronger beer deteriorates slower :thumbsup:

I used to make a lot of home brew, and if bottled properly, it will last for months and it does mature during that time. The best advice I can give is that home brew doesn't travel. You do get some sediment that will settle at the bottom, especially in the darker beers and stouts. Moving the bottles will shake up the sediment and spoil the taste.

Back