• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
Good point today but the previous 3 league games were simply not good enough,Dropping 5pts against the bottom 2 clubs will no doubt hurt us later in the season.

Some of the "home support" is mind boggling with foul and abusive language aimed at our own players which will make those very players nervous on the ball,Probably explains why the team plays better away.

You are right that we may well regret some of the points dropped but there is a long way to go and from the position we are now we can kick on and get promotion. No use looking at past form as during that spell we have had so many injuries and suspensions there was never a settled side.

As for the home support, although I agree its a shame, it goes on at every club. If the players cant hack it here then they wont make it anywhere. Its used as a lame excuse for poor performances. Any player that is severely adversely affected by name calling should see a shrink or get another job or both.

The team saw Roots Hall at its best yesterday, getting vocally behind the team from all areas.

You are right that we may well regret some of the points dropped but there is a long way to go and from the position we are now we can kick on and get promotion. No use looking at past form as during that spell we have had so many injuries and suspensions there was never a settled side.

As for the home support, although I agree its a shame, it goes on at every club. If the players cant hack it here then they wont make it anywhere. Its used as a lame excuse for poor performances. Any player that is severely adversely affected by name calling should see a shrink or get another job or both.

Totally this. we have had a horrendous run of injuries. If we can keep Laird ans Mkandawire for the long term we should push for promotion.

Port Vale are second for a reason. Yesterday we were the better team, over ran them on so many occasions and kept Pope quiet. Their goal led a very charmed life and their keeper had a game and a half.

I once asked Julian Dicks, who was abused at every ground Wet Sham played at, how he felt during matches when the home fans were shouting at him and he said that he concentrated totally on the game he didn't hear any abuse.

I don't suppose any WHU fans abused him at Upton Park as others would probably have killed them perhaps a tactic we should employ at the Hall.

Had us down for a lose Saturday, so a draw feels like a win esp it sounded like we were much improved. Midfield looks much more solid now, with more options up front also, i think we could well go on a winning run now.

When the team played as well as they did yesterday the mind boggles as to how we lost to an awful Aldershot team, Barnet our proverbial 6 points every season and Accrington bloody Stanley.

Against Barnet, Burton, Aldershot we had no central midfield to speak of. I don't care how bad the opposition is perceived to be, you cannot win games at this level with no central midfield. Accrington was a blip, Dunbavin played an absolute blinder.

I think we are a better team than 11th place and I hope we can prove that by keeping a settled side.

Against Barnet, Burton, Aldershot we had no central midfield to speak of. I don't care how bad the opposition is perceived to be, you cannot win games at this level with no central midfield. Accrington was a blip, Dunbavin played an absolute blinder.

I think we are a better team than 11th place and I hope we can prove that by keeping a settled side.

There's only 7 points between 17th and 4th... we can push on from here. It's very tight.

I once asked Julian Dicks, who was abused at every ground Wet Sham played at, how he felt during matches when the home fans were shouting at him and he said that he concentrated totally on the game he didn't hear any abuse.

I don't suppose any WHU fans abused him at Upton Park as others would probably have killed them perhaps a tactic we should employ at the Hall.

I like this idea very much

The 3 guys near us were mental with constant moaning at the players and PS.

Probably because he was too busy shouting abuse himself, as evidenced by his almost weekly dismissal from the dugouts during his inauspicious non-league managerial career.

Some of the "home support" is mind boggling with foul and abusive language aimed at our own players which will make those very players nervous on the ball,Probably explains why the team plays better away.

It has nothing to do with that. Southend's support is no better or worse than other clubs in this respect.

We "play better" away because the team and manager are better equipped playing against teams that take the game to us.

Only Aldershot (with just 2) have scored less goals at home from the same number of matches (9) as we've played so far at home. Away from home, no team has scored more from the same number of matches (8) as we've played so far away from home.

We are averaging 50% more goals per match in away games than we are in home games.

It has nothing to do with that. Southend's support is no better or worse than other clubs in this respect.

We "play better" away because the team and manager are better equipped playing against teams that take the game to us.

Only Aldershot (with just 2) have scored less goals at home from the same number of matches (9) as we've played so far at home. Away from home, no team has scored more from the same number of matches (8) as we've played so far away from home.

We are averaging 50% more goals per match in away games than we are in home games.

Ntrmally the away fans are behind the goal or in one of the corners which means the players in the final 2 thirds of the pitch cannot hear abuse from their own fans,The players mindset is more relaxed allowing them to play football which in turn leads to better results.Some of the abuse i hear is way over the top and will never make the player perform better but make the player perform worse simply because he is now no longer being allowed to get on with game.

The notion of people paying at the gate then spending 90 minutes screaming vile abuse at their own players is rather sad.

Not everyone's necessarily the same.

There are plenty of players who've turned round and said something back, so some players do hear what is said.

I think we, as fans, need to look at what we can do to improve our team's performance. I think getting behind the team does make a difference and it does make a far more enjoyable match day experience.

In your opinion, Mick, and I would have the opposing opinion. Roots Hall, in my experience, is a lot like Upton Park in the negativity and lack of patience displayed by our fans, and you only have to look at the abuse heaped on Paynter, Harrold, etc to see that. It has been mentioned by Sturrock and other managers too (albeit obliquely sometimes).

I would also call to the witness stand Alan Moody, who was driven out of his home town club (to our ultimate benefit) by boo boys, and has said:

You can't play your game when the crowd are on your back.

A great interview with him where he shows clearly the effect of a negative home crowd can be Read Here

And this is in danger of becoming a sterile debate - the question isn't "Are we worse than other fans?" but "How can we improve the atmosphere and reduce the negativity to give our players the best chance?"

In your opinion, Mick, and I would have the opposing opinion. Roots Hall, in my experience, is a lot like Upton Park in the negativity and lack of patience displayed by our fans, and you only have to look at the abuse heaped on Paynter, Harrold, etc to see that. It has been mentioned by Sturrock and other managers too (albeit obliquely sometimes).

I would also call to the witness stand Alan Moody, who was driven out of his home town club (to our ultimate benefit) by boo boys, and has said:

A great interview with him where he shows clearly the effect of a negative home crowd can be Read Here

And this is in danger of becoming a sterile debate - the question isn't "Are we worse than other fans?" but "How can we improve the atmosphere and reduce the negativity to give our players the best chance?"

Yesterday my team were involved in the FA cup,Normally we play in front of one man and his dog,We visited a rather charming club and the crowd numbered the 100 mark,Near the bar area was a group of 10/15 people who all appeared worse for wear,These people used "banter" and i use that term lightly which resulted in some of us forgetting the game and instead trading insults.No need for it all and the above post is bang on the money.

Yes we did lose and missed out on £150 prize money.

Back