• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
Thought I would have a delve into the stats regarding the handling of Jack .

Cauley Woodrow,

Was never ever going to be our player,same age as Jack.

Cauley took 8 months here to reach his 21 appearances,playing 1049 minutes scoring 4 goals !

Jack took 13 months to obtain his first 21 appearances ,only playing 731 minutes but still managed 3 goals !

For my money Woodrow ain't fit to tie Jack's laces,Jack from day one captured my imagination as he has the thrill factor when he receives the ball,he has amazing balance which enables him to run flat out with the ball.

My point ,

Phil for whatever reason has ignored Jack's ability as the stats prove,maybe Phil didn't want an attack minded youngster in the team for tactical reasons?

I can see Jack if he continues going on to a good championship club,then who know's after that,he reminds me of the Brazilian who played for Middlesboro,the little guy whose name has escaped me .

Cauley Woodrow,

Cauley took 8 months here to reach his 21 appearances,playing 1049 minutes scoring 4 goals !

Jack took 13 months to obtain his first 21 appearances ,only playing 731 minutes but still managed 3 goals !

For my money Woodrow ain't fit to tie Jack's laces,Jack from day one captured my imagination as he has the thrill factor when he receives the ball,he has amazing balance which enables him to run flat out with the ball.

My point ,

Phil for whatever reason has ignored Jack's ability as the stats prove,maybe Phil didn't want an attack minded youngster in the team for tactical reasons?

I can see Jack if he continues going on to a good championship club,then who know's after that,he reminds me of the Brazilian who played for Middlesboro,the little guy whose name has escaped me .

Ronnie Corbett? He used to make along winded story out of nothing.

As much as I like Jack I'm not sure he is quite as good as Juninho!

As much as I like Jack I'm not sure he is quite as good as Juninho!

That is the guy !

Defo not saying Jack is as good,just reminds of Juninho with his balance and high level ball control.

Cauley Woodrow,

My point ,

Come on MB we have been down this road a number of times. JP had broken through to the first team, but as a youngster he sometimes went missing during a game. PB prefered to play the more solid formation of leonard, Timlin, Atikinson, with maybe someone dropping deep. t
This excuded Jack to cameo roles. Off course things have moved on now, Payne is older, we have injuries and he gets in now on merit.

Your post would be a fair one if we produced a Jack Payne from the academy every season. The point is we don't. Payne is a special player and one of those will come along once every 10 years (Collymore, Eastwood etc). When you look at the players over the years who have come from the academy and dropped into non-league obscurity, you realise why we delve into the loan market to add value to the squad. After all, Brown does see them train every day and will know if they're good enough.

I'm a big fan of the academy and love seeing our homegrown lads doing well, but Brown has got it spot on for me and his work with the young players is impressive. Bentley and Payne have both been given a chance and thrived under Brown. We've also got Ted, Bridge and Williams who have all developed nicely and will be knocking on the door of the first team next season. If Brown looks to get a loanee in rather than play a former academy lad, I trust his judgement.

Are you really still going on about Cauley Woodrow? That was 3 years ago, get over it. He doesn't compare to Payne at all in style or position and Payne wouldn't have been ready when Woodrow was here anyway. Why not use Assombalonga as an example of a loan player? Sometimes loan players work sometimes they don't. It's the same with home grown players, there's no correlation.

Last edited:
Are you really still going on about Cauley Woodrow? That was 3 years ago, get over it. He doesn't compare to Payne at all in style or position and Payne wouldn't have been ready when Woodrow was here anyway. Why not use Assombalonga as an example of a loan player? Sometimes loan player work sometimes they don't. It's the same with home grown players, there's no correlation.

Yeah good point. Let's change the example to compare Britt Assombalonga to Harry Crawford and see whether mrsblue still has a point.

Assombalonga:
Games: 49
Goals: 16

Crawford:
Games: 34
Goals: 3

Nope.

that would be the Cauley Woodrow who has played U21 for England and plays his football in the Championship?
and he's not fit to tie the boots of a player who has played 29 times in the third tier?

Are you really still going on about Cauley Woodrow? That was 3 years ago, get over it. He doesn't compare to Payne at all in style or position and Payne wouldn't have been ready when Woodrow was here anyway. Why not use Assombalonga as an example of a loan player? Sometimes loan player work sometimes they don't. It's the same with home grown players, there's no correlation.

Agreed. Who cares about Cauley Woodrow. Sounds like someone has nothing better to do with their time. Im waiting for a Jason Williams comment to conclude from this thread :hilarious:

Phil Brown deserves massive credit for nurturing Payne. He has improved immensely over the last few seasons. Great man management.

Also Payne has worked wonders when playing with Tyrone Barnett. Isn't he on loan too, a long term target of PB's? Didnt mrsblue say he wouldnt be any good :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Back